Hi, im new here so sorry if im asking or doing something wrong.

Im interested if someone have tried to play bass on subwoofer. I know it does not work well. But would it work with 410cab and with additional subwoofer.
Because now every note lower from A starts to disappear on my 410. G note is the limit. But i want to go deeper to F note just for interests. So im looking into buying 15' cab to get more lows, but i dont know how low can he produce. (sadly cant try any in my area).

So i came to this idea with subwoofer with 410. If it is possible. 410 for highs and mids and woofer for lows.
And if it is possible, would i need to change my pickups or something and how does one achieve this.
First, the size of the cone on a speaker doesn't determine how low it will go. Simply tacking a random 15" speaker cabinet onto an amp won't help you much.

Second, what F are you trying to reproduce? It isn't clear.

The low E on a standard 4-string bass is 41.20 Hz. The low B on a five-string is 30.87 Hz, and most bass speaker cabinets (including most powered subwoofers) won't reproduce the low E fundamental, much less the low B. No pickup swap is going to help you.

Most subwoofers (I'm looking at a dual-18" sub with a 2000W amp built in) are stretching at +-3 dB to reproduce 35Hz at any reasonable volume. That's a C# below the low E. It takes a huge amount of power (and cone area and Xmax) to reproduce those notes.

If you're considering this as some kind of metal "lower than thou" metal exercise because you're a converted guitar player, etc., you should know that this comes up about once a month, and it's usually a newb who doesn't understand sound reproduction who proposes it.
Thank you for 15' info
I know woofer cant prodece lowE and B. For F i ment on fifth string so its an octave lower from standard lowF.
Ofc im newb for sound production that is why i ask if it is technically possible.
Last edited by BEPO735 at Nov 14, 2016,
BEPO735
Technically possible, yes. Practically possible, no.

When you go that low, you're just not gonna reproduce the fundamental. How do people do it then?
Using Nolly from Periphery as an example, he uses a Dingwall bass (which gives some note clarity) and he emphasizes the harmonics and uses quite a lot of distortion. His Axe-FX setup consists of a clean DI sound blended with a guitar amp.
Live, he just went through the PA, with a 6x10 for stage volume.

You'd be better off doing something like that rather than chase something that's just not practical.

Here's my bass cover of Ji (with the guitar tracks lowered a bit).
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/jibass/s-rylxu
You're getting quite a bit of low end thump, but most of the impact is at 100Hz and 1.5Khz
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Nov 15, 2016,
It still isn't completely clear what notes you are trying to reproduce. F on fret 6 on the B string or have you down tuned the B string? Is it every note below A on a standard tuning (fret 5 on the E string)?

Most bass cabs are tuned to 50Hz or thereabouts. In practice they go down to about 40Hz or low E on standard tuning. At this point they are usually about 10dB down on the output higher up, which is half the volume subjectively. Because of the way we hear sound our ears are pretty insensitive to deep bass and we cant hear 40Hz very well anyway. In addition only about 10% of the output from your bass is fundamental, most of the sound is made up of harmonics. The effect of all this is that what goes on at the bottom end isn't very important in our subjective experience of bass. Listen to some well recorded double bass , they sound really deep, but because of the physics of a double bass there will be almost no fundamental there. The bassiness of a double bass is due to the richness of the lower harmonics and the ratio between the lower harmonics and the upper ones. That's what you need to exploit to get a really deep sounding bass

Hope you understood that. Most of what we hear as bass is what is going on around the 100Hz area, say 80-160Hz and then how that balances at the top end. Many cabs artificially boost the 100Hz output which gives a good deep sound without all the problems subsonics create.

Are you boosting bass with your tone controls or using a lot of fx? If you boost deep bass by 6db then that is asking your amp to give 4x the power, that might be overloading it. You might be better cutting the deepest bass boosting the upper bass and shelving/cutting the mids and tops. Which is pretty much what the guy above is saying.
Last edited by Phil Starr at Nov 15, 2016,
meant to tune down B string 6frets.
I know im asking the not practical thing, and im not trying to achieve anything with this. Maybe just for shits and giggles at home.
Im currently not using anything from fx or any pedals. like i said it is just an idea because i know cabs cant go that low. So only solution is sub. I mean, i dont expect my amp to power the sub, maybe he can have his own just to boost the sound or something. Im not some kind of engineer to know electrics that is why i asked this to see if someone knows )
Ok the frequency of F0 is 21Hz half the population can't hear that note at all and none of the rest can hear it very well. It is at the very extreme end of human hearing. For that reason nobody really makes PA subs that reproduce those frequencies.
Quote by prowla
Me, I think an organ plays lower notes than my bass.

Some pipe organs can. The low C (16.35Hz) on a very few pipe organs in the world is produced by a 32' stop (not found on most pipe organs) and is the lower limit of human hearing. It comes close to being atonal.

A five-string bass plays a low of around 30.87Hz, but it's rare to find a speaker that can actually reproduce the fundamental of that note.
F#0 is the lowest you're gonna get under normal conditions and even rocking an 8x10 playing as loud as possible with a 37" scale bass, you're gonna be feeling it more than you hear it. periphery gets away with it, but they've got some damn good equipment and everybody in the band is a skilled producer or sound engineer.
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.