Hey there,

Firstly, please remove or move if this is in the wrong place, wasnt too sure where to ask this..

Im looking for a cheap (free if possible) recording program for windows, Im wanting to get into self recording and mixing, for my practice and for a band that ive recently formed, I just want to be able to record stuff and create drum tracks for home...any suggestions would be great!!

TIA
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Reaper has a trial period that never ends, so it's free, but I think it's around $60 if you want to be nice and buy it. Its probably the nicest DAW for its price point. It's got a usable piano roll too.
Awesome thanks!
Does it require any hardware or can i just use mouse and keyboard? the only DAW ive used was logic back in the day during college...

also do you know if im able to record straight from my amp? its a VYPYR VIP2 so it has the midi port... im not too clued up when it comes to the recording side of things
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Quote by monsterhawk
Awesome thanks!
Does it require any hardware or can i just use mouse and keyboard? the only DAW ive used was logic back in the day during college...

also do you know if im able to record straight from my amp? its a VYPYR VIP2 so it has the midi port... im not too clued up when it comes to the recording side of things

You will need an audio interface for any type of recording with any program. Although, you can get away with using the mic port on your computer's soundcard, but its not ideal.

As far as your amp, I'm not sure if it can record direct. I tried to google it but I'm still uncertain. It would be through a USB though, audio can't go through Midi as far as I know. But micing usually yield better results unless you can go direct with no cab emulation and use third party impulses. That's a little more advanced though.
Quote by monsterhawk

The MIDI port on the Wiper isn't for recording.
Quote by monsterhawk

the midi port isn't for recording but evidently the usb connection on there can be connected to the computer for recording. DAW software should see the vypyr VIP as an external soundcard.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae