I am here to ask for opinions on the best USB interface to suit my needs. Here is my gear: schecter Damien 7 elite with active EMG pickups, peavey 3120 head, Marshall mg4x12 angle cab, sm57 mic. Going to plug sm57 into interface and use ableton as my DAW and windows 10 as my operating system. So with that being said i will also add that I do not mind spending money on something with good converters and such built in. I will also be recording ukele and bass guitar using DI so at least one 1/4" DI and at least 1 microphone preamp. I really appreciate any advice, I plan on buying this new equipment next week on Black Friday so price is really not a factor. Not going to record drums with it so I do not need huge amount of channels. Not worried about headphone output because I will only be using it for input since I will be listening to the recordings through ableton using my computers soundcars for headphones. Also interested in knowing what you guys setup is like in the studio for recording tube amps! Any ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks UG.
Last edited by dimebag828 at Nov 15, 2016,
Any 2-4 channel interface will work... there isn't one in that channel count that I would say is better suited for hi-gain work than any other, until you start hitting the RME/Avid/Apogee price range.

My recommendations are:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL
Steinberg UR22
Audient iD4

I'd also look at getting an acutal DI box as thy tend to work better than the built-in options on the interfaces (cleaner, easier to gain)
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
the chemist thank you for quick response! Seems like audience id4 will do the trick for my guitar since I'm only recording one channel at a time. Does anyone have experience with the id4? I have heard others in this price range like the 2i2 have clipping issues when using active pickup? Apparently the 2nd gen 2i4 have PAD built into the software so it seems like a great option also. Have heard great things about both!

On the topic of DI boxes: what are your preferred DI boxes when recording bass guitar?
One issue with DI boxes is I make my own, so I don't have much experience with off-the-shelf models.

I have used Samson MD1s on stage before and had no issues.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
the chemist ok thanks, that sounds very interesting! I'll look into making my own DI box that sounds entertaining haha
Also in the arena is the Mackie Onyx Blackjack. Has hybrid 1/4 and XLR inputs, so you will not need a DI box for that purpose. I doubt you would need them for any pad signal reduction either as the MOB has a solid amount of headroom, even with active pups. You might could get a small, cheap pad unit just in case though.
Ok thanks just want to make sure I'm not going to have clipping issues. What do you guys use that record with hot pickups and high volume / gain through microphone? Willing to look into RME or something higher price range if needed
Quote by dimebag828
Ok thanks just want to make sure I'm not going to have clipping issues. What do you guys use that record with hot pickups and high volume / gain through microphone? Willing to look into RME or something higher price range if needed
As long as you are not getting bottom-of-the-bin interfaces, you really should not have to worry about clipping issues. The earlier, smaller Focusrite units had headroom problems but that could be solved by a cheap pad attenuator/DI box. The 2i4 has built-in pads. I record a silly loud AC30 closed mic'd with the Mackie Onyx Blackjack and I have never had to put the gain at minimum. And contrary to popular belief, you do not have to record your amps so loud that they shake walls. If you want to be safe, spend the little extra on the 2i4 for the built-in pads.