Okay first of all, I'm new. New in the sense that it's my first time posting here in UG's forum.

I'm planning to get an upgrade for my guitar amplifier. It's an Amptech 26watts Solid State guitar amplifier. Just would like to ask you guys (with more experience regarding this matter) an overview/comparison among the 3 gears. Namely: Peavey Bandit 112, Blackstar Venue Series HT Club 40 and VOX AC15c1.

Questions like this:

1. How well do they go with pedals? For example clone pedals (JOYO, Mooer) or even the high end ones
2. Are they "giggable" in small-medium when it comes to venue.
3. With proper maintenance, will they last long?
4. Are they worth it?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, I would say the Bandit is not in the same tier as the Blackstar or VOX, leave it behind.

1. VOX AC circuits are often used as pedal platforms. However, the newer offerings have a capacitor that "bleeds" treble through at low volumes, and many find the amp to take pedals better when that cap is clipped. It is a very easy mod. A friend has the same Blackstar model and I think it takes pedals fairly well too. It also has an effects loop to gain you some headroom with delay and reverb pedals. The AC15 does not have an effects loop.

2. If you want the AC15 set squeaky-clean and you need to fill a reasonable sized venue along with a drummer, it will likely not keep up on its own. With PA support, it would be fine of course. The Blackstar is 40w so you will arguably have a bit more headroom to work with. However the speaker the Blackstar comes with is a Rocket 50, not a good speaker- especially considering its 95db sensitivity. You may end up wanting to swap that speaker out with a Vintage 30, 100db sensitivity, although that is more $ out your budget.

3. Yes. Have a spare set of tubes on-hand always just in case.

4. That is a bit of a loaded question. I love the VOX sound but it is not for everyone. The Blackstar has the ISF control which is maybe a bit more of a gimmick IMO then an actual feature, but it can help you swap between American and British voicings easily. If you are not really set on a voicing, I would suggest the Blackstar over the AC15. The Blackstar will also have more headroom for pedals and generally bit a bit louder, especially with a speaker swap. The AC15 has the "VOX Sound" but may end up having too little headroom for unmic'd gigs. If you are able to, try to find the amps you want USED as you will save some money there.

What genres do you play? What is your max budget?
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 15, 2016,
Will Lane

Thank bud!

1. I play usually play, hard rock, punk, alternative and a little bit of thrash.
2. Max budget would be $500-$750
Quote by Will Lane
Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, I would say the Bandit is not in the same tier as the Blackstar or VOX, leave it behind.

1. VOX AC circuits are often used as pedal platforms. However, the newer offerings have a capacitor that "bleeds" treble through at low volumes, and many find the amp to take pedals better when that cap is clipped. It is a very easy mod. A friend has the same Blackstar model and I think it takes pedals fairly well too. It also has an effects loop to gain you some headroom with delay and reverb pedals. The AC15 does not have an effects loop.

2. If you want the AC15 set squeaky-clean and you need to fill a reasonable sized venue along with a drummer, it will likely not keep up on its own. With PA support, it would be fine of course. The Blackstar is 40w so you will arguably have a bit more headroom to work with. However the speaker the Blackstar comes with is a Rocket 50, not a good speaker- especially considering its 95db sensitivity. You may end up wanting to swap that speaker out with a Vintage 30, 100db sensitivity, although that is more $ out your budget.

3. Yes. Have a spare set of tubes on-hand always just in case.

4. That is a bit of a loaded question. I love the VOX sound but it is not for everyone. The Blackstar has the ISF control which is maybe a bit more of a gimmick IMO then an actual feature, but it can help you swap between American and British voicings easily. If you are not really set on a voicing, I would suggest the Blackstar over the AC15. The Blackstar will also have more headroom for pedals and generally bit a bit louder, especially with a speaker swap. The AC15 has the "VOX Sound" but may end up having too little headroom for unmic'd gigs. If you are able to, try to find the amps you want USED as you will save some money there.

What genres do you play? What is your max budget?

Thank bud!

1. I play usually play, hard rock, punk, alternative and a little bit of thrash.
2. Max budget would be $500-$750
why a Peavey Bandit for your budget you can get one of Peavey's tube amps which would be better for what you play. Blackstar would probably be good but I haven't tried that model. for what you mentioned at least out of the box it would be the best option. Vox's are great for certain things but thrash isn't one of them. probably not my first choice for hard rock or punk either. good choice for much alternative though.
Quote by monwobobbo
why a Peavey Bandit for your budget you can get one of Peavey's tube amps which would be better for what you play. Blackstar would probably be good but I haven't tried that model. for what you mentioned at least out of the box it would be the best option. Vox's are great for certain things but thrash isn't one of them. probably not my first choice for hard rock or punk either. good choice for much alternative though.

Cool!

Any other suggestions then sir?
For the love of god,everyone has to stop talking about the Peavey Bandit on this forum - it's a terrible amp compared to any entry level tube amp from Fender or Vox or any manufacturer. It's a throw away amp from the 90's - everyone used to own one back in the day, because it's all their parents could afford, and everyone had terrible tone and spent all their time complaining about how they didn't sound anything like bands they listened to - so they bought pedal after pedal chasing good tone, which never came, because it is a cheap solid state amp. The only thing a Bandit is decent at is sterile clinical clean tones - which may be suitable for jazz, but even jazz players use Fender tube amps or boutique amps nearly all of the time these days. Now, if all you can afford is a used Bandit, then fine because they are cheap, but if your budget permits - get a real amp - an Ac15 is world's better than a Bandit. You see all kinds of Ac 15's at gigs and they are more than loud enough for any stage. You may run out of clean headroom with a loud drummer, but that depends on your drummer.

I would strongly suggest you simply rent an AC15 for a night to see if it's up your alley. Ac15's and any vox amp has a very specific tone that may or may not be to your liking. You should also look at Fender amps in the same price range, which are all decent.
Quote by reverb66
-post-
I have seen a lot of the Bandit around here. Yes, it is not much in comparison to the big boy amps.

I really do not think an AC15 would be up TS' alley. He wants to do Thrash, and I think VOX AC's do everything well up to metal-levels of gain. I'd suggest something like the Marshall DSL40C or even a Peavey Valveking with some speaker upgrades. You can find both used. I think also the Peavey 6505 is in the arena as well which is more metal oriented. I am sure there are some other options out there that I am just not remembering.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 16, 2016,
Out of your list, and based on what you like to play I would take the Blackstar, or as mentioned above a DSL40C (I know it would handle the rock but am not sure how it would do for thrash but I am sure it has enough gain). I would take either of those over a valveking.
Quote by Will Lane
I have seen a lot of the Bandit around here. Yes, it is not much in comparison to the big boy amps.

I really do not think an AC15 would be up TS' alley. He wants to do Thrash, and I think VOX AC's do everything well up to metal-levels of gain. I'd suggest something like the Marshall DSL40C or even a Peavey Valveking with some speaker upgrades. You can find both used. I think also the Peavey 6505 is in the arena as well which is more metal oriented. I am sure there are some other options out there that I am just not remembering.

gotta agree. I had a Bandit in the 80s for a back up amp and it did take pedals well etc but couldn't go head to head with my tube amps. a Peavey Valveking along with an overdrive pedal can cover a lot of ground and the Marshall DSL40c combo can as well. not sure if a 6505 would work for all of what you want so I'd try that if at all possible before buying. they're great for metal but not so sure about some of the other stuff you play.