Hi,

I would like to hear from people who, like myself, are in their first year of playing the guitar.

State how long you've been playing for
Whether or not you take lessons
What you find hard
How often you play
Mention any useful drills that improved your playing,
Your routine
What you can play
What you long term goal is
Last edited by Elplater at Nov 16, 2016,
I'm definitely not on my first year, but if you don't mind I can try remembering how I felt.

I did not take lessons during my first year, I did, however, start them shortly after.

I remember having trouble with rhythm and ear-hand coordination. Like I would like this song, try to learn it from tab, and wonder why it sounded all wrong. Later I realized that my rhythm was just way off and I didn't have the ear to notice it.

I played every day back then, for a couple of hours. Now, I play daily, but I rarely have time for a two hour practice session.

What always improved my playing was learning new songs, as it gives you a sense of progress and achievement.

My routine was pretty much just warm-up, and then some silly technical exercises like 3nps scales, then tapping, then sweeping, but I've progressed a lot since and understand that it wasn't that productive. Right now, I don't have that much time for a steady routine, but when I do, I try to learn a song by ear, jot it down in whatever form of notation I want, analyze it a bit, then record myself performing the song and practicing parts that sound off.

I don't think I could play anything more impressive than some metallica and slayer riffs after my first year.

My long term goal is to become a good composer, although I'm not really into metal anymore (love listening to it still). I'd love to play in a successful local band, get some recognition as a performer and songwriter, and maybe do some session work. I just want to be a reliable and versatile musician.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Kevätuhri

My routine was pretty much just warm-up, and then some silly technical exercises like 3nps scales, then tapping, then sweeping, but I've progressed a lot since and understand that it wasn't that productive.

How would your time have been better used back then?
Learning songs?
Elplater

That, and actually practicing technique that's useful, like picking, strumming, general rhythm techniques, vibrato and bending. All of those are lot more useful than knowing how to play the tapping lick for eruption, that's for sure
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Kevätuhri

I always give myself time at the end of a session to play something cool, well try!

Once I get more flexibility, strength and independency on the fretting side of things I'll be very pleased.

At the moment it all seems but a dream.