Drop B is my favorite tuning, so I'm looking at a somewhat custom gauge, and was wondering opinions on whether or not it wouldn't be good for my guitar.
On my main guitar, I have top heavy slinky bottoms. I used them for Drop C ages ago, but switched to drop B and continued buying this set for it. The gauge is
10 13 17 30 42 52
And obviously having those for drop B gives me a lot of gross flab that I don't like, but I love how the bottom solo strings play.
But on my other guitar, I have a really heavy dunlop set with
13 17 28 38 48 60
They sound great, but I really dislike the tension I get with them (although this guitar has a slightly shorter scale)
So I was thinking of buying a set of super slinkys and throwing away the 9, and buying a single 60, or possibly 58. So it would look like this
11 16 24 32 42 58/60
Looking for a nice middle ground where I can get nice chunky rhythms but still play the leads like I love using the slinky bottom set.
What do you guys think, how does it sound for a Jackson Kelly with a floyd rose?
Last edited by Frankieanime78 at Nov 16, 2016,
People do custom sets all the time. Just preference. Try whatever you want until you find what you're looking for
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
I agree. It comes down to personal preference. There's no law stating you need to buy a prepackaged set of strings.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
800-what? Dollars? Giraffes? Sex slaves?

justinguitar.com is the answer