I have a dual humbucker electric guitar with one volume knob, one tone knob and a 3-way selector switch. I decided to change the bridge pickup (a TJ Jones Ltd, as is the neck one) for a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB.

After removing the old bridge pickup, I connected the new one in the same way (i.e. to the selector switch) following the wiring guide on the Seymour Duncan website: black = live; green + bare = solder together for earth; red + white = solder together and tape off.

After doing this and testing the new pickup I immediately noticed that the output was quieter when the the selector switch was in the middle position. After Googling this issue it seems that the pickups are "out of phase". I don't know if this is due to the two pickups being of different brands (note: on the TJ Jones pickup the white wire is the live one), or if there is some other reason for this.

I'm guessing I need to connect the wires from the Seymour Duncan pickup in a different way, but I'm not sure exactly how. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to fix this.

Thanks.
Switch green and black or flip the magnet
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I will try flipping the magnet (I didn't know you could do this) as it saves me the hassle of some tricky resoldering.
Cheers.
Quote by aarroon
Thanks a lot for the reply. I will try flipping the magnet (I didn't know you could do this) as it saves me the hassle of some tricky resoldering.
Cheers.

Just make sure when youre pushing the magnet through that you arent breaking any connections on the pickup and make sure you mark the original orientation so you know which way to flip.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Just make sure when youre pushing the magnet through that you arent breaking any connections on the pickup and make sure you mark the original orientation so you know which way to flip.

Managed to do that okay and the output isn't quieter when in the middle position anymore, but now there seems to be a different issue. The bridge pickup is a bit hummy and when I touch one of the pole pieces (especially an outer one) it buzzes. If I touch one while I have my thumb on the tail piece it doesn't buzz. This doesn't happen with the neck pickup. Is this likely to be a grounding issue or something else?
That sounds like a grounding issue to me. Are you sure you didnt break a wire when you were pushing the magnet out?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
I was super careful when removing the magnet and made sure not to touch anything else so I'm sure it's not that. I've resoldered all the earth wires on the selector switch earth prong, insulated everything with tape and still the buzz is there :/. I haven't installed the pickup properly yet with the mount and everything (and I'll need to get some new tape for it too) so I'm just testing it with it loose in the cavity, but I can't see how that would make much difference. Not sure what to do now apart from completely removing the selector switch again and resoldering everything, and I'm running out of wire length.
I guess try putting the pickup back the way it was and if that doesnt fix the problem then I would check your connections again.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Haven't got around to putting everything back how it was yet, but (after Googling about a bit) I've tested the ground with a multimeter from the strings to the output socket nut and get a 0 reading, which apparently means that the grounding is okay. However, if I go from individual pole pieces (of either pickup) to the output socket nut, some of them give me a 0 reading and others don't make the meter move at all. Is this normal?
Also, is there any actual difference between flipping the magnet and swapping around the green/black wires? Thanks btw!
Quote by aarroon
Also, is there any actual difference between flipping the magnet and swapping around the green/black wires? Thanks btw!

There shouldnt be a difference as far as Im aware. The only difference would be doing it magnetically instead of the wiring method.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
I eventually resoldered everything and it seems to be fine now. Looks like it was a ground issue.
Quote by aarroon
I eventually resoldered everything and it seems to be fine now. Looks like it was a ground issue.

That's good to hear. Glad everything is working
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster