Hi UG
I'm looking for a cabinet for practicing with my metal band, and I've been looking at the Harley Benton G212 vintage 2x12 120W equipped with vintage 30's. I'm wondering if it's loud enough or I'll have to get a 4x12.
2x vintage 30's with a decant amp will be plenty loud enough! I have a 45w tube amp combo with open back v30's and it's insanely loud. My drummer plays like animal from the Muppets too, he doesn't know what a soft touch means.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
can't really see any need for a 4x12 for practice (or even many gigs unless a huge room or outdoors). 2x12 is fine. tip: don't put the cab on the floor but rather raise it up some so the sound disperses better and it will be easier for you to hear (other band members to) . I use either a 1x12 or a 2x12 combo for live use and gave up the 4x12s years ago.
Quote by frederik-jensen
Hi UG
I'm looking for a cabinet for practicing with my metal band, and I've been looking at the Harley Benton G212 vintage 2x12 120W equipped with vintage 30's. I'm wondering if it's loud enough or I'll have to get a 4x12.

1. The cabinet doesn't determine how loud you'll be. I have a 100W EL34 combo with a single 12" EV-L that's just about as loud as you'll ever want to be (including next to a Marshall full stack).

2. There's such a thing as practicing too loud. Most bands these days are keeping their stage volume down and allowing the PA to do the work. Same goes for practice. Tone your practice volumes *way* down and you'll be better able to hear what's actually going on.

3. Put the drummer and the amps on one side of the room and move yourself and your other bandmates to the other side of the room with the amps facing you. This will allow you to hear some of what the audience hears.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 16, 2016,
With my 5153 2x12 cab angled back, the matching 50w head keeps up with a drummer at around 3. How much volume do you think you'll really need?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
With my 5153 2x12 cab angled back, the matching 50w head keeps up with a drummer at around 3. How much volume do you think you'll really need?

Pointing your speakers toward your ears instead of your knees is a great advantage and is severely overlooked. Just tilting the amp a few degrees makes a world of difference.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Get a 4x12, what are you, some sort of pussy? I have one and it loos awesome!

But seriously, a 2x12 is gonna be just as good, even if you dont lift or angle it upward. I was semi serious with it looking cool tho. A half stack looks much more impressive on stage than a 2x12. But i guess you can just have a wall full of empty cabs for that.
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I've gigged with both 2x12 and 4x12 cabs. Never had any problems with being loud enough with either!

The only thing I will say is that if you have a rather powerful tube head (over 100 watts), don't crank it all the way up with a 120-watt cab - If for some reason, you really feel like it would be necessary to do so....
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff