(posting here because I can't seem to find the band suggestion thread)

I'm a bit of a prog snob who loves weird, wacky, genre-changing, and otherwise unlistenable wankery metal bands haha. Some examples would be Sikth, BTBAM (every forum brings them up at some point), Native Construct, Haken, Mudvayne's first album, etc. Also, though they're not necessarily prog, I love the overall wackiness of SOAD's music. If you know of any boundary-pushing prog metal bands like these, please post below!

ps. The magical unicorns known as "progressive thrash bands" are also greatly welcomed!
thoughts so far:

hammers of misfortune and psychotic waltz are pretty damn sweet, though not quite as experimental as i was hoping. also i know mr bungle quite well, and theyre is undoubtedly wacky haha but i was hoping for something more metal-oriented

all replies are appreciated though!
I mean if you open yourself to core and general rock derived stuff I can share some more "out there" work but in metal Unexpect are typically taken as one of the more polished edgecore groups. They are at least what I think of when the word "ludicrous" is next to "prog metal". You use the word "unlistenable" so you might like Psyopus. Don't expect anything more than the dissonant noodling.

if you want stuff that's not just metal and isn't shit, Koenjihyakkei and Naked City will open doors for you even if you do end up growing past them.
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 23, 2016,
all prog bands are ludicrous
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Leprous
Shaolin Death Squad
Pain of Salvation (check out Scarsick)
Riverside
Devin Townsend

Or, for more edgy and less accessible.....

Shining (the album Blackjazz)
Portal (check out Swarth)
Thantifaxath (Sacred White Noise)
Axis of Perdition
Behold the Arctopus
La Rumeur des Chaines
Deathspell Omega
Gorguts
Ulcerate