Poll: As a player, how important are the looks of the instrument to you. How about the audience?
Poll Options
View poll results: As a player, how important are the looks of the instrument to you. How about the audience?
Very
33 50%
Somewhat
26 39%
Not very
9 14%
Audience very
3 5%
Audience somewhat
12 18%
Audience not very
13 20%
Voters: 66.
Page 1 of 3
No.

If the audience care about looks that much I question their interest in the sounds.
Looks matter to me just as everything else about a guitar does.

The only people in the audience who care about how a guitar looks are either guitar players themselves or people looking to be guitar players.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Looks are important to me, because I'm very conservative in my tastes. I used period-correct acoustics when gigging, and the aficionados in the audience would comment on them, the rest didn't care.
this is missing a key part of the debate. the issue wasn't so much as a guitars "looks" as about a certain style of guitar being appropriate for any give genre. by this I mean if the guitar player was playing in a traditional blues band for instance but was playing a BC Rich Warlock with a Widow headstock. obviously not common and I'm sure that the guitar players in the audience would raise an eye. the audience probably won't care past the guitar looking outlandish (although blues purists even the audience may in this case care more than the average pop or rock audience would. )

so the real ? is if the guitar doesn't look the part for the genre you are playing does that matter
Unless you're like Michelangelo Batio playing a multiple handed guitar or someone who is known for owning a very signature guitar like tom morello, then it doesn't really matter. I doubt any concert-goer would have their experience impacted solely for the aesthetics of one of the musicians guitars ... unless they're doing a very stylish act like Buckethead for example.

looks have zero impact on sound (unless we're talking about types of wood, overall construction, type of PUPs, etc)
an aged guitar will sound different, but a brand new purposefully shiny, colored, laminated, or even chipped same model guitar will sound the same as the next model in line...
I'm going to go with very, because I do like my guitars to be pretty.

The audience is a 'somewhat' thing, because you'd be a bit weirded out seeing a bluegrass band with a guy playing a Rhodes custom through an acoustic simulator.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
To me, very important.

I don't have audiences so fuck 'em
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
I much prefer playing a guitar that I find aesthetically pleasing. Even if I could get the greatest tone in the world playing a Wangcaster, I still wouldn't want to use one.
Yes I am falling
How much longer
Till I hit the ground?
Personally looks are very important to me, headstocks and bodyshapes that I don't like are dealbreakers even if the guitar is badass.

I think for the audience it varies from one genre to the next but I also think it's not as important as it once was as long as the band sounds good to the crowd...

...if not Lamb of God would be in trouble because Mark Morton's guitar is ugly AF for metal
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Stage image is absolutely important to an audience. If the music is terrible then a cool looking guitar isn't going to save the gig however.

Personally I do feel guitar looks are important as a guitarist. I will be more inspired to play and write on an instrument that looks awesome than one that looks like a beat-up piece of crap. Of course the instruments have to be good primarily, and not just fancy looking pieces of junk.

If I had two of the same guitar, one in pristine condition and one with all the paint chipping off then I would be more likely to pick up and play the nice looking one.
For me...Yes!My first impression of a guitar is the aesthetic.If I don't like how it looks then I won't pick it up.
2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst
'77 Hardtail Strat
Epiphone Sheraton MIK Duncan '59's
MIJ 84/85 Tele
MIM Std Tele
Fender Blues Jnr
Digitech Screamin' Blues
It does too me.

I like to have a nice looking guitar.

But it's first, gotta be a well made guitar, it has to feel right in my hands and it also has to sound good.

I can and do own some not so pretty guitars that sound and play great and really those should be more important.
I'm shallow, so I have to find a guitar sexy to play it. Then I'll go for comfort/sound.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Random3
Stage image is absolutely important to an audience. If the music is terrible then a cool looking guitar isn't going to save the gig however.

Personally I do feel guitar looks are important as a guitarist. I will be more inspired to play and write on an instrument that looks awesome than one that looks like a beat-up piece of crap. Of course the instruments have to be good primarily, and not just fancy looking pieces of junk.

If I had two of the same guitar, one in pristine condition and one with all the paint chipping off then I would be more likely to pick up and play the nice looking one.

First all of my guitars are in great condition because I take good care of them and I just play at home in my studio no gigging or band practice etc. That said I wouldn't mind having an old beat up guitar (that was once a quality instrument to begin with) if it plays and sounds great and as long as the wear and tear were honest from gigging etc. none of this fake ass relicing a nice guitar to make it look like a players old trusty war horse. Dents and dings give a trusty old guitar character and often can't be avoided.

I'm super anal about keeping my axes as close to mint as possible but if one gets a chiped and dented I don't freak out or discriminate against it.

P.S. Mark Morton's guitar is still ugly AF.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Scruffy and beat up is fine by me, because I'm a dingophobe, I get really unhappy if I ding a pristine guitar. Relics are good provided they are genuine, fake is tacky, IMO.
Should it matter? Of course not.
Do I care about it illogically? You betcha.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
I'm with Just Rooster. I say it somewhat matters. It dosn't matter to Willy Nelson. He'd play a guitar wrapped in duct tape.
stargazer1701

We have somewhat different interpretations of "looks". I would be happy with something as scruffy as Willie's classical (my old L-00 isn't far behind), but I wouldn't be seen playing an LP Standard, except as an act of desperation. You might be right about Willie though, I bet he would play just about anything, he has the reputation and personality to support it.
Quote by Banjocal
No.

If the audience care about looks that much I question their interest in the sounds.
i wish progdude was still here to go on about stadium rock and lighting again.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by 1967frank

Nahhhh....

That's a beautiful guitar though. Just like willie Nelsons Trigger
Quote by 1967frank

SRV's guitar face looks as good as his guitar When he was making that face there was no need to bother knockin just come on in!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 18, 2016,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i wish progdude was still here to go on about stadium rock and lighting again.
To be honest I am exaggerating I practically spooge at the sight of thinlines

but do tell
Quote by etakyaface
Why is there not an No not at all option? Looks matter if you're superficial

Probably because we want honest answers in this thread.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
When you walk into the music store and see the guitars hanging on the wall, you're already drawn to some more than others. Even if you're basing your decision on specific features of the guitar (pickups, hardware etc) you still have to visually identify them.
As a listener I don't care about the looks of the gear the band are using.

When I play or buy a guitar then looks are very very important.
To each his/her own I guess . I never liked items that drew attention from cars to cloths and every thing in between . Quality of construction for performance and reliability always mattered the most to me . I guess if you have money to burn , a fancy airbrush job on your guitar vs leaving it flat black is your right . Not me , I'd rather spend the money on finding another quality guitar at a yard sale that's ugly and worn for cheap and bring it back to life .
Page 1 of 3