I am looking to get a used Mexican Stratocaster in olympic white with a rosewood fretboard. However, I am wondering if there are cheaper options that are as good or better than Fender. What are your thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/thomaspkoziara

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
1998 or 1999 Fender Deluxe Series Nashville Telecaster
2000 Epiphone Les Paul 7-String with EMG 81s and 85s
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
better is kinda a subjective thing. Squier has a couple cheaper options that some swear are better than MIMs. as for other companies G&L makes some nice strat style guitars. while not really cheaper per se they are another option.
G&L's Tribute line- made in Indonesia- is an excellent option for affordable guitars, especially Strat or Tele style ones. Roughly comperable to MIM Fenders, but a little better, IMHO.

Godin's Sessions are very nice, and are made in Canada.

The less expensive Dean Zelinsky Private Label models are also made in Indonesia, as I recall.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Will buying something that doesn't say Fender scratch your itch? Nothing wrong wanting a logo.

What's your budget? Under $300?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
it kinda depends on what kind of music you play. the typical SSS strat isn't great for heavier stuff. (opinion alert).

for $300-350 used, there's plenty of decent guitars well suited for most genres.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Above all else, I am looking for a good deal. I saw a Mexican Stratocaster sold recently for as low as $212 or so. I am thinking that I will have to pay more to get one in olympic white, since there are not that many out there.

Other brands are options, but I would have to find a place to play one. I do not know where I could find a G&L, Dean, or Godin.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
NostraHistoria
I sent you a PM.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
I narrowed down my search to ones from 2000, 2004, 2004-2005, and 2013. They range from about $280 to $325. I would be prone to get an older one from the bunch. I have asked on here before if older guitars sound better, the board was split. I am afraid to ask again. What are your thoughts?

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
Quote by NostraHistoria
I narrowed down my search to ones from 2000, 2004, 2004-2005, and 2013. They range from about $280 to $325. I would be prone to get an older one from the bunch. I have asked on here before if older guitars sound better, the board was split. I am afraid to ask again. What are your thoughts?

with MIMs it' not so much a matter of "sounding better" it's more about features. the ones made prior to 2006 have smaller frets and the trem block is small . the smaller frets are very similar to the vintage ones but not everyone likes them, the newer ones have the taller frets found on many modern guitars. the trem block while an easy and fairly cheap fix if you can get one that doesn't need that then you save.

as for sounding better that is to subjective for anyone to give you an actual answer. best bet is to play them if you can and see which one works best for you. my #1 Strat is a 95 MIM but it has been heavily modified so not really fair to compare to a stock one. I do have a US made one as well but the MIM is my fav.
What did you do to your MIM?

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
seems like the 3rd one to me. first has condition issues that the pix don't really show so hard to tell. 2nd is nice but more expensive.

as for my MIM well it has an LSR Roller Nut, Graphtech saddles, Sperzel Locking Tuners, Steel Trem Block and the pickups have been changed (not sure to what as I bought this guitar as it is ). I originally bought it with the intention of having it back up my 89 Strat Plus Deluxe figuring I could slap in some Lace Sensor pickups (eventualy will). after a couple of months of playing it it just became apparent that I like it better (despite the 89 being a great guitar) so it became my #1
Do you hear any difference on the basis of the age of the guitar?

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
I've owned Fender, Godin, G&L and ESP Stratocaster. Somewhere between 30 and 40 overall (I can't stop flipping but that's another discussion).

G&L's are great, but they're a different beast than a Stratocaster. If you enjoy beefier, more modern tones, they're absolutely the best choice in my mind. They have more presence and punch, and certainly do not skimp in the midrange.

If you want the Strat sounds you've always heard but are on a budget, Godin will deliver that. They make great products, you'll just have to get used to the more "square" nature of their necks.

If you're at all concerned about flipping or resale, go Fender. Trying to sell/flip a non-Fender Strat clone is like pulling teeth. It takes a lot of sell.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
I do not think I ever saw a G&L or Godin before.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
They're big great companies. I very much dig the Godin stuff. G&L is phenomenal if you enjoy a more modern sound.

Quote by EyeNon15

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
I have a Godin Belmont- essentially the love-child of a Strat and a SG- and I love it. I've also tried their Prigression and Session Stratclones in stores, and was impressed with them.

The only G&Ls I've tried were USAs, and I thought they were killer. I'd expect the Tributes to be a great deal for the money.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
The first names that came to my mind were G&L, Tokai and Blade, though I don't know how their prices compare. Having owned a Blade, I'm especially impressed with the Blade switchable-to-active VST tone control system. I've also owned a Tokai strat, made for the Japanese market, also very good. but I couldn't get on with the 7.25 fretboard radius.
Blades are very nice.

alhaq369
yeah i tried a few of the cheaper blades a good while back and they were very nice

tokais are nice too (the dearer japanese-made ones anyway) but the prices have gone up a good bit unfortunately.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i tried a few of the cheaper blades a good while back and they were very nice

tokais are nice too (the dearer japanese-made ones anyway) but the prices have gone up a good bit unfortunately.

I just checked out eBay and Reverb. You used to find Springy Sounds for about $400!

EDIT:

Even the 80's ST-XX's are going for over $700. I used to have a Fender MIJ ST-57 Paisely I bought for $650 on eBay. Boy was I dumb for letting that go.
https://reverb.com/item/3353651-fender-paisley-stratocaster-2003-paisley-pink

Quote by EyeNon15

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 19, 2016,
You can sometimes get a MIJ Ibby off eBay for that range. Can't go wrong with a MIK Ibby in that range either.
I've heard good stuff about older MIJ Jacksons, and can be found in that price range on bay.
The MII soloist looks decent, it I've never picked one up.
Schecter Hellraiser or Blackjacks can be had in that range too. Lots of bang for your buck there
Quote by JustRooster
I just checked out eBay and Reverb. You used to find Springy Sounds for about $400!

EDIT:

Even the 80's ST-XX's are going for over $700. I used to have a Fender MIJ ST-57 Paisely I bought for $650 on eBay. Boy was I dumb for letting that go.
https://reverb.com/item/3353651-fender-paisley-stratocaster-2003-paisley-pink

yeah it's the same here (at least with new prices, i haven't really checked the used prices for a while). when the ~2008 recession hit the pound (and i guess the dollar too) tanked and the yen stayed pretty strong. suddenly tokais, edwardses and the like which used to go for MIM and higher-end Epiphone money were getting not too far off USA Fender and Gibson money. Granted, Fender and Gibson's prices have increased too, but there doesn't seem to be as much of a difference as there used to be. You used to be able to get the MIJ Tokai Fender copies for a little less than the MIM classic series, not any more.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
You used to be able to get the MIJ Tokai Fender copies for a little less than the MIM classic series, not any more.

On the bright side, at least we're starting to finally catalog some of our future old-man "back in my day!" kind of stories. We'll get to be that cool old guy at the guitar shop before long!

Quote by EyeNon15

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
hahahahahahaha
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

JustRooster

I am the freakin' (not very) cool old guy in my town. I'm treated like a museum piece, "He's great, he plays blues on an acoustic guitar."
Quote by NostraHistoria
Do you hear any difference on the basis of the age of the guitar?

not really no. on the basis if different pickups yes.
It is good to know.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
Quote by NostraHistoria
I do not think I ever saw a G&L or Godin before.

Yeah definitely check out G&L. The "L" stands for Leo Fender. He made G&L after he left Fender. He claimed that he actually liked his G&L guitars the best.
Quote by Sayonara6String
Yeah definitely check out G&L. The "L" stands for Leo Fender. He made G&L after he left Fender. He claimed that he actually liked his G&L guitars the best.

Well yeah, he was trying to sell them!

Better Teles? Undoubtedly. Better offsets? I'd say so. Better Strats? Eeeeeehhhhhhh it depends.

Quote by EyeNon15

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by Sayonara6String

I think I read it somewhere before. Jerry Cantrell uses G&L. I always thought they were cheap junk just by the look of them.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
NostraHistoria appearances deceiving are.

alhaq369
MIM are fine guitars for the money, IMO. G&L would be one of the first to come to mind for quality Fender alternatives.

I'm tempted to say there might be a Tokai strat model you could find for a decent price (It's worth a look), but most of the ones I see for sale are higher end/closer to MIA $-wise.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by NostraHistoria
I think I read it somewhere before. Jerry Cantrell uses G&L. I always thought they were cheap junk just by the look of them.

hold one.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by JustRooster
On the bright side, at least we're starting to finally catalog some of our future old-man "back in my day!" kind of stories. We'll get to be that cool old guy at the guitar shop before long!

more likely the old guy no one cares about . I can remember when a Les Paul Custom was $800 new and those Japanese copy guitars were $100 or less. hell I even bought a US made BC Rich Mockingbird in the early 80s for the outrageous sum of $400. guitars that make Jack White drool wre flea market junk that could be had for $10-20
My MIM hasn't left it's case since I heavily modified a cheap strat copy I acquired for $25, but that's just me
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
My MIM hasn't left it's case since I heavily modified a cheap strat copy I acquired for $25, but that's just me

You aren't the only one who prefers modded cheapos. However, it happens my favourite is an Oz$65 hock shop special that didn't need any modding. - Though I did make some cosmetic changes.