Hi

I heard about a project where the goal is to use virtual or augmented reality glasses to show tabs right on your guitar while you are playing.
So you can select a song/a tab and dont need to read it on a tablet or from a monitor. This means you can concentrate on your guitar and your fingers.
What you think about this idea? I believe that would be a perfect use case for augmented reality and great way to learn playing guitar in general or just new riffs/ new songs in particular.
Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The crucial thing to bear in mind is that playing the guitar isn't an exercise in hand-eye co-ordination, you don't really want to be looking a your fingers or the fretboard when you play. Also the guitar doesn't really lend itself to being looked at when you play, from a comfortable playing position you can't actually see the fretboard.

Anyone who would really need this level of guidance would be in danger of becoming over-dependent on visual cues - in essence they'd be playing "Guitar Hero" style, responding to visual stimuli rather than listening and playing in the normal way.

Anyone who's advanced enough to not develop bad habits because of something like this? Well, simple fact is they ain't gonna need it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by adrian.vogel
Hi

I heard about a project where the goal is to use virtual or augmented reality glasses to show tabs right on your guitar while you are playing.
So you can select a song/a tab and dont need to read it on a tablet or from a monitor. This means you can concentrate on your guitar and your fingers.
What you think about this idea? I believe that would be a perfect use case for augmented reality and great way to learn playing guitar in general or just new riffs/ new songs in particular.

Whatever works, I guess. I think it's an overuse of technology that really won't make a difference in your learning process, and you'll end up tossing it pretty quickly. I learned most of what I knew about playing a guitar from the guitar player in my band (I was playing keys), and I developed the most from actually playing what he taught me with the band.
i agree to some extent. but maybe dont just think about the raw recruits but about intermediate players as well: given you could really see where to put on your fingers on the fretboard in real time for chords, licks or even solos, i can imagine to learn it faster as by just listening to it or practice it with the help of notes or tabs or the like. there are keyboards already which work like that, where the key you have to press flash up.
Quote by adrian.vogel
i agree to some extent. but maybe dont just think about the raw recruits but about intermediate players as well: given you could really see where to put on your fingers on the fretboard in real time for chords, licks or even solos, i can imagine to learn it faster as by just listening to it or practice it with the help of notes or tabs or the like. there are keyboards already which work like that, where the key you have to press flash up.

There are also guitars that already have built-in LEDs that work like that. I really haven't talked to people who've used that as a learning tool, so I don't know whether it's long-term useful or more gimmick. Tabs (and sheet music) include things like slides, pull-offs/hammer-ons, trills, vibrato, trem use, etc. -- I'm not sure how well "virtual" or "augmented" reality gets along with those. Be interesting to see.

What it doesn't do is let you know *why* you're putting your finger at that fret at that time, things that learning scales, learning to read music and learning a bit of music theory will teach you.
Quote by adrian.vogel

tab shows you where to put the fingers already. what this can't tell you is whether you are doing it right or if there are technique issues when playing. interesting idea but not going to replace an actual teacher anytime soon.