I read a few articles on buying used amps. They all seem to say that you need to try one out before buying. However, eBay has buyer protection measures. There are used Dual Rectifiers for about $1000. It is an alluring price. I knever bought an used amp before. I do not want to regret it, even if I can return it. I bought two used guitars before. Both were awesome purchases. Buying a Dual Rectifier might be another. I am wondering if any of you have had any personal experiences with buying an used amp. If you do, please let me know what you learned and what you can advise to me.

Thanks.
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/thomaspkoziara

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
1998 or 1999 Fender Deluxe Series Nashville Telecaster
2000 Epiphone Les Paul 7-String with EMG 81s and 85s
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
Always be prepared to retube- both power and preamp.

Make sure you are protected on the purchase in case the seller is not 100% honest about the condition.

I've purchased 4 amps used but always in person. Turn every knob and press every button to make sure everything works. Online you need some buyer protection.

I'd be more comfortable with Guitar Center or Reverb for used amps over eBay though. I've used eBay for pedals and such but still think there's an element of not getting everything 100%.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
never bought used online but have bought many used amps over the years. as Metalmingee said be prepared to put new tubes in as that is just a safe thing to do as you won't know how many hours on are the tubes in it. you can always save those for spares. make sure that the amp works properly and there are no issues with input jacks, fx loop etc. condition is important but a couple of little dings not such a biggie. big dings may be a cause for concern though as a dropped or abused amp may have internal issues that you can't see at a glance. as long as you have a guarantee then you should be ok. as soon as you get the amp put it thru its paces.
Thanks. I cannot find how much it would be to get new tubes for it. Do you know how much they would be with installation?

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
Pricing may differ since I'm in Europe, but I paid about 200 euros for a full retube of my Dual Rec when I had it. That included the rectifier tubes IIRC, which are required to get the amp running as long as you set it to diode rectifier, if I recall correctly.
Honestly, i wouldnt buy used gear without seeing it in person first. Even if you check everything, there is still a chance you missed something, or that some part is at 99% of its life and will just suddenly die. And yes, just count on retubing the amp when you get it. Im also from europe, and retubing an amp like this is around 200€ here. If it turns out the tubes are in great shape, hey, you just saved yourself a bunch of money, and if it doesnt, then you are no worse of than when you started.
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
NostraHistoria
Mesa Boogies are plug and play with the power tubes as long as you get Mesa branded tubes or tubes specifically selected to meet Mesa specs.

Preamp tubes can be swapped around for many brands but watch out for the (I think) cathode follower positions - just google it. You need a sturdy brand of tube here or the tube will fail.

Having the option of tube rectification is one of the joys of the amp.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by NostraHistoria
I read a few articles on buying used amps. They all seem to say that you need to try one out before buying. However, eBay has buyer protection measures. There are used Dual Rectifiers for about $1000. It is an alluring price. I knever bought an used amp before. I do not want to regret it, even if I can return it. I bought two used guitars before. Both were awesome purchases. Buying a Dual Rectifier might be another.

I've routinely purchased used guitars online, with usually good experiences.
I've purchased ONE amplifier via eBay, and did NOT ship it (picked it up in person) and it was a rolling disaster, but I knew that when I bought it (cheap). I retubed it (via Eurotubes.com), swapped out a ribbon cable that was causing most of the problems, purchased new hardware from the manufacturer and repaired and recovered the case with new tweed (and lacquered it). It's been golden ever since.

I would suggest that the eBay's "protections" are inadequate and you should not rely on them.

I would also suggest that you plan on the expense of re-tubing the thing from the moment you unpack it and add that into the overall cost. Here are a range of retube kits: http://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=151
NostraHistoria You only need to re-tube the amp if there are actual issues - don't worry about that unless it becomes a problem - I still have the nearly all of the original tubes on my Mesa Lonestar Special and I've been gigging and jamming heavily with it for 5 years.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I am looking at one from ~2004 and another from 2009. I heard that Mesa Boogie changed the sound of the Rectifier series. However, I cannot find any dates. Does anyone know? Can anyone advise on years to stay away from?

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
Basically the differences are the two channel versus the three channel. The older 2 channel dual recs look a lot like the Solo 50. I believe the older 2 channels are more sought after, IIRC they were made in the mid 90's up until 2003? There were many versions of them Rev. G was the last revision and is most like the newer 3 channel recs.
I had a 3 channel and didn't really care for it too much. Channel 2 on the 3 channel was great but I never got a decent or good sound out of channel 3, it was very fizzy and pretty much useless. Eventually I will get another dual (but 2 channel version).
Good luck.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
I tried the newer one with three channels and only liked the second channel, too. I am basically buying it for a good rhythm tone.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
Have you looked at the solo 50 head? I was just not a fan of the 3 channel, but loved my single and rectoverb.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
No, it could be an option. All I want is a signature rhythm sound that only Mesa Boogie has. Thanks for the advice.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
I have a Roadster which evidently is voiced a bit darker than the 3 channel Dual Recs but for Channel 3 on the 3 channels, did you take into account the different taper of the Presence Pot? Channel 3 is optimized for Modern Mode. Channel 2 is optimized for Raw and Vintage.

You can find the full range of the Presence knob in Channel 2 at about 10 o'clock in Channel 3. If you had the knobs set the same that may be the issue.

I don't intend any malice but with Mesa amps you really, really need to read the manual a few times. I still read the manual on my Roadster from time to time to figure out how the knobs for each mode work.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Cool. I heard someone say on here that Mesa Boogies are hard to dial in.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
I loved my 3 ch Dual Recto and I think there's less of a difference than some people claim. Imo, it's pretty subtle and you can get them to sound almost the same by EQing them differently to match.

Reading the manual is a good shout for any Mesa amp, by the way. They have more complex controls than most amps I've had, which makes them a tad harder to dial in at first, but it gives you more precision in dialing in exactly what you want once you get the hang of it, in my opinion.
I like my 3 channel dual recto solo head too , I say go for it ...... with ebay protection you will have no problem getting your money back if the unit is bad
I think I need to do some more research into other amps in the rectifier series. The Road King II and Roadster are news to me. I think I asked before whether to get the Dual Rectifier or Triple Rectifier. Someone recommended the Road King II or Roadster. The person said that one of them had the second channel of the Dual Rectifier or Triple Rectifier. I would not mind spending more money to get more channels I can use. Channel 1 and 3 on the Dual Rectifier seem like busts.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Vox AC30C2
For the Roadster look at it this way

Channel 1 - Clean, Fat, Tweed modes (mix of a Mark 1 and Lonestar)
Channel 2 - Clean, Fat, Brit modes (mix of a Mark 1 and Lonestar with a new Brit (Marshall Plexi vibe)
Channel 3 - Raw, Vintage, Modern (Channel 2 from the 3 channel dual Recs but darker)
Channel 4 - Raw, Vintage, Modern (Channel 3 from the 3 channel dual Recs but darker) - optimized for Modern with the Presence taper.

Then you get the choice of 50w or 100w per channel - this is for voicing/tracking not volume.

Tube or Diode rectification per channel for feel and voicing.

Lush spring reverb from the Lonestar per channel.

Global master volume, solo volume boost, and either spongy or bold power mode.

This amp is at home with a strat doing cleans, pushed just to break up, rock, country, metal, thrash, etc.

Download the manual and give it a couple of reads.

The RoadKing is all of the above but allows 6L6 AND/OR EL34 power tubes per channel with assignable speaker outputs per channel as well.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by NostraHistoria
I think I need to do some more research into other amps in the rectifier series. The Road King II and Roadster are news to me. I think I asked before whether to get the Dual Rectifier or Triple Rectifier. Someone recommended the Road King II or Roadster. The person said that one of them had the second channel of the Dual Rectifier or Triple Rectifier. I would not mind spending more money to get more channels I can use. Channel 1 and 3 on the Dual Rectifier seem like busts.

I did and even provided a link to a Roadster going for a silly price. I believe it was your Mark V thread or some Mesa thread.
Thanks, guys,

When you say that the Roadster's second channel is like a Dual Rectifier's second channel but darker, do you say it in a good way? The whole reason why I am looking at a Mesa Boogie is to get a rhythm tone.

Guitars:
1970s Gibson LS-6
1992 Fender Stratocaster
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2014 Ibanez AEL207E
2015 PRS SE Standard
Yamaha CG-100A

Amps:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo