Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please excuse my ignorance if this is the wrong place.

I changed my strings on my Epiphone acoustic last night because (I'm ashamed of this) they were two years old at least, and I noticed some strings were unplayable on some frets because of intense fret buzz. I went with Elixir 80/20 Bronze Acoustic strings at a friend's recommendation, after having used D'Addario for some time.

The issue I'm facing now is I have buzzing beyond the 12th fret on the G, B, and high E strings. Sounds like it's coming from the bridge strangely enough. But it's bad enough that no matter how hard I push down, it's unplayable. Some googling has shown limited results on what could cause this. The action doesn't seem too low, and I don't think it would matter since it doesn't feel or sound like fret buzz, but buzz coming from the bridge.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to fix it? I know it's hard to diagnose things via text, so any help is appreciated.
It sounds to me as if the strings are touching the higher frets when you play. On some guitars the fretboard rises a little between where it meets the guitar body and the soundhole. Look down the length of the fretboard to see if it does rise. That's the first thing to check.
Quote by JPerez42
...[ ]...Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to fix it? I know it's hard to diagnose things via text, so any help is appreciated.
Old strings require more tension to bring up to pitch than new ones. Accordingly, you guitar's neck and body may have relaxed,, bringing the overall string height down.

Personally, I've restrung guitars and had some minor buzzing issues, which went away after the strings broke in. Not saying that's definitely going to happen for you.

The gauge of the string set is also a consideration. If you had heavier strings on, then replaced them with a lighter set, that would exacerbate the problem.

FWIW, 80/20 alloy has less tension and bends easier than phosphor bronze.

So, the combination of very old phosphor bronze strings, combined with a more slender string set, and brass instead of bronze could have created a "perfect storm of buzz" Not saying that's for sure what happened, but it does give you some possibilities to check.
Recommended threads