HI, UG Community,

I'm currently using Ernie Ball Slinky string because it's popular and being uses by professional musician. But the problem is starting to show up. I can't afford to change the string as it get rusted so easily. I need to change the whole set because seller doesn't sell it individually. I think the string was design with the pro guitarist in mind and as amateur, changing string every week or month is not something I'm looking into.

I notice that Chinese string are better and last longer but it doesn't have option for me to choose such as the gauge size or the type of string like Ernie string does. And now I'm looking into other brand of String that will last longer than Ernie and bend friendly and it's always good if it cheaper than the Ernie.

More about Ernie: So, I just got a string and change it and play it for only 2-3 hour, I start to notice the string getting old quicker than the Chinese string. I feel like the string I'm using is focus much on professional musician who has a guitar tech and able to change it every time they play. I'm really afraid to bend the string after a week or two even I adjust the height and stock to make it easier bend. I also notice that the 4th, 5th, and 6th will shine for over a month but the other 3 will likely to get destroy in the first two week. And since I can't get individual Ernie string, I need to buy the set of it and it cost like 10$ here.

Sorry, English is not my first language and thank for those who reply!
I usually buy the cheapest strings I can find in bulk when the sales are on, and change them frequently. Most are GHS Boomers or the same string rebranded and sold by someone else. In bulk, these usually run about $2 a set, sometimes a bit more. When I've got a gig, I'll put Dean Markley Blue Steel strings on the guitar. These are usually about $5-6 a set, and they're actually treated to last longer than ordinary strings (though I generally don't worry about that).

A few things will help you extend the life of your strings:

One, wipe them down with a *clean* cloth (top and underneath side of the strings) between uses. Do NOT store the dirty cloth in the case with your guitar, and DO use a different (clean) cloth the next time you play your guitar. Wash your hands before you play the guitar.

Two, store your guitar in the case and NOT on a stand or hanger outside of the case.

Three, buy a VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) emitter (see theruststore.com) and keep it in the *closed* case with your guitar. These inhibit rust and corrosion on all metal hardware including your strings. Change these about once a year. Note that this is NOT one of those drying gel-packs; it's not the same thing at all.
My recommendation is Elixirs. They are significantly more expensive but they last significantly longer. If you are not playing them all day every day you can expect them to last at least 3-4 times as long as the regular Ernie Balls.

Another option would be Ernie Ball Cobalts. They are cheaper than the Elixirs, and I personally found that they didn't last anywhere near as long, but then I know some people here would say the same about Elixirs.
Quote by sosxradar
HI, UG Community,

I'm currently using Ernie Ball Slinky string because it's popular and being uses by professional musician. But the problem is starting to show up. I can't afford to change the string as it get rusted so easily. I need to change the whole set because seller doesn't sell it individually. I think the string was design with the pro guitarist in mind and as amateur, changing string every week or month is not something I'm looking into.

I notice that Chinese string are better and last longer but it doesn't have option for me to choose such as the gauge size or the type of string like Ernie string does. And now I'm looking into other brand of String that will last longer than Ernie and bend friendly and it's always good if it cheaper than the Ernie.

More about Ernie: So, I just got a string and change it and play it for only 2-3 hour, I start to notice the string getting old quicker than the Chinese string. I feel like the string I'm using is focus much on professional musician who has a guitar tech and able to change it every time they play. I'm really afraid to bend the string after a week or two even I adjust the height and stock to make it easier bend. I also notice that the 4th, 5th, and 6th will shine for over a month but the other 3 will likely to get destroy in the first two week. And since I can't get individual Ernie string, I need to buy the set of it and it cost like 10$ here.

Sorry, English is not my first language and thank for those who reply!
If your strings are corroding that fast, you may want to get your hands checked by a doctor. My hands are kind of sweaty so I just do dspellman said and wash my hands before I play, wipe the strings down after, and keep the guitar stored in the case. Some people actually do have a condition where their hands are extremely sweaty and/or some medical conditions raise the acidity level of the sweat as well. It is an actual condition, nothing to be ashamed of. Just something to work around.

I change strings about once every month and a half on my main guitar that gets the most professional use. You may be able to find a set of Ernie Balls on sale if you buy 3 or 5 packs or something like that. It is a lot of money in the now, but you save some money in the long run. Also you could get coated strings like Elixirs, which are kind of expensive but will last you a while.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 18, 2016,
Do you bend your string frequently? I'm afraid to bend the string and also I do find that cleaning the string after and before playing make it get older quickly so I just leave it after I play. The same happening to other guitar using ernie string.

Also, I couldn't get any different Ernie string or get it on sale because I'm not living in America. The string cost only like 6$ on the internet but the VAT add more price to it!

Next time I'll get a Exlixirs which cost about 16$, the cheapest, and the other one is like 25$. If it can last for a month or two then it might be my new favorite string !
Quote by sosxradar
Do you bend your string frequently? I'm afraid to bend the string and also I do find that cleaning the string after and before playing make it get older quickly so I just leave it after I play. The same happening to other guitar using ernie string.

Also, I couldn't get any different Ernie string or get it on sale because I'm not living in America. The string cost only like 6$ on the internet but the VAT add more price to it!

Next time I'll get a Exlixirs which cost about 16$, the cheapest, and the other one is like 25$. If it can last for a month or two then it might be my new favorite string !
What were you wiping the guitar strings down with?