I'd like to build a cabinet either pine or baltic birch. A 2x12". See right now I have a hot rod deluxe 1x12" combo amp. The power is 40w. It doesn't say the speaker wattage on there though. Wiki said 50w speakers, a guitar tech from sam ash said probably like 100(not sure?) But I want more power/loudness than my hot rod deluxe amp has. Something that I can cut through a little better with and be heard with more head room. Basically in a nutshell here's my questions:
-Type of power for head
-Speaker wattage
-8 or 16 impedence
-Will it be more power than my deluxe

Update
I need some guidance, I want to get a nice Terminal circuit badcat head that I can play medium clubs with to about 500 people, let's say hard classic rock. My music style is very diverse though. Think Slash/Gilmour/Santana/Hendrix, and Trey A. rolled into one. I don't know which power wattage to get. I also want a custom 2x12 cabinet. I was thinking to get one tone tubby alnico speaker (like tubby red 50w)and one eminence alnico speaker. Not sure 8 or 16 impedance or wattage. Probably a parallel chain. I definitely want head room. I'm hoping they would pair up nice together. Any thoughts ?
Last edited by accxxx at Nov 19, 2016,
Musicians friend says,
If you want to add a little output, fullness, and stage coverage, you can even add a matching 1x12 extension enclosure to your Hot Rod Deluxe III.

If you get a new head, you match the ohmage of your custom cab to that head. The right power of a new head will likely be 60 to 100 watts depending on if its a tube or solid state and the ohms will depend on that too.
The overall volume of your amp is going to be largely determined by the power available in your amp head and the efficiency of the speakers in your cabinet. You really don't gain much by simply adding speakers or cabinets. Think of it this way; if you've got a 100 horsepower engine in your car, you're not going to gain all that much by simply adding more wheels and tires. At some point, you've used all the horsepower there is.

I've worked 500 person clubs with a 50W Carvin Belair (2x12, open back) on an amp stand. But I have to warn you that the first 10 rows of people on a dance floor will suck up a LOT of treble, especially if you have that amp on the floor. Things can get pretty muffled toward the back of the room, and you'll hear more bass and kick drum than anything else.

Mixing speakers in a cabinet is fine, if a bit cork-sniffy, but 10 feet from the cabinet one will probably dominate the other. I learned, with keyboard output, to put a couple of 1x12s with tweeters up on speaker stands to get the sound up and over a crowd, and at the time I was using a 50W/50W stereo tube power amp. You can always turn down.

These days, if I'm not running direct to a PA system, I have a pair of fEARless F115 cabinets (15"LF, 6" mids, 1" HF driver) that can be mounted on those same speaker stands, and these can each handle up to 900W (I'm driving the pair with a 1500W solid state power amp). The whole rig doesn't weigh more than a pair of 2x12s with an amp head, but it's more capable.
Every 212 cabinet ive ever seen is 2 speakers mounted side by side on the same baffle board. Would it be better to arrange them at an angle, like an array or seperate the speakers into 2 112s and place they on either side of the stage?
Quote by geo-rage
Every 212 cabinet ive ever seen is 2 speakers mounted side by side on the same baffle board. Would it be better to arrange them at an angle, like an array or seperate the speakers into 2 112s and place they on either side of the stage?

The best arrangement is a vertical 2x12 -- you get wider horizontal dispersion. There are even *angled* vertical 2x12s (and I think Mesa makes one, Jet City, Traynor, Tube Works, Marshall, Stone Age and Carvin used to). It may sound counterintuitive, but a horizontal 2x12 actually gives you narrower dispersion. You may also want to put your vertical 2x12 on a stand of some kind to get it taller.

Mounting them at a diagonal doesn't do anything for you, but it does require extra boardfeet of plywood and it weighs more and takes up more space in the back of your car/van (oh, and leave the beam blockers OFF):

I've run a pair of 2x12s (I know, you said 1x12s) on either side of the stage, and it works, but the real reason to do that is to allow you to hear yourself no matter where you roam on the stage.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 23, 2016,