I use a Gretsch Jim Dandy as my main acoustic, and an AKG 214 as my main recording mic. However it seems that putting these together doesn't have the best results. I love the guitar for its mellow and even tone when fingerpicked, however I've found when I record it, regardless of mic placement or eq/compression/dynamics/etc, I get a harsh, kind of shrill sound, with a LOT of string noise that I just don't hear while I'm playing it live. This leads me to assume its the mic, and that it might just be too sensitive. I need to mic it close because it is not a very projecting instrument, but I feel like thats where the noise issues come from. Does anyone have any ideas or tricks for recording this? I'm not opposed to buying a new microphone, but atm I have a limited budget topping out at around 250$, so if theres a way to make it work with the AKG id be grateful to hear it
(Typing this out I realized flat wound strings might help too, but Im not sure when the next time i can get to guitar center would be)
The mic is normal, no bass cut and no decibel cut, into my Universal Audio Apollo and then to Logic Pro X. Im listening to it through my ATH M50xs. In the Apollo console I have 2 compressors and a limiting amp. Since I posted this I tried putting a windscreen on the mic, and recording a bit farther from the mic (22" instead of 10") and it helped, but I'm still hearing some string noise cutting through. There may not be any way to get rid of it at this point, I tried using a De-Esser and that didn't do anything. Its not as bad as it was, but it bothers me (I might just have to deal with it lol)
Hmm. Some compressors can be set to focus on certain frequencies, utilizing that may help you out. There should be a normal amount of string noise and brightness from any acoustic guitar.
Where are you placing the microphone in regards to when you play it?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
About 20" away, angled back a little bit, pointed between the soundhole and the 12th fret
I'd say try removing any added compressors and EQs from your recording chain, and listen to what's happening with your basic signal. You might be killing an otherwise healthy guitar sound.

Secondly, 20" and angled back a little bit will accentuate the treble response of your instrument. Try moving a little bit closer, and face the guitar itself. Remember to adjust your gain accordingly.

From experience, it's hard to say it and even harder to hear it, but it could very well be your technique. While you play, you are experiencing a highly biased form of your sound, what with your guitar sitting in your lap and your head right above the body. You might not be aware of problems in your playing that are now being brought to forefront by the mic. Try different picking techniques, different guitars, monitor the problem.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I've recorded my nylon string Spanish guitar in a similar mic that a friend loaned me and with a little compression, mild eq and reverb got great results. It is a bit bright and hyped in the hi mids but it is definitely a workable mic for guitar.

Mine was maybe about a foot away and level from the guitar pointing at the 12th fret position.

Maybe the guitar or technique is the problem.

Cheap test - put your phone at the same level with the mic and record that and see what you get. Unless it is something drastically different in the mic they should sound similar.

It could just be that you might have to shop for different condenser or add a second mic to your arsenal. Sometimes a mix of dynamic and condenser on acoustic might work better.

Maybe this article could help:
http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/recording-acoustic-guitar