I get frustrated trying to finger pick a song using a tab. Often I can find the song by just playing around and feeling the pattern. I've always wondered if a popular musician like Eddie Vedder does exactly the same fingering every time or if the pattern changes somewhat...any thoughts?
I think that in a lot of pop and folk music it changes a bit every time, and ofttimes seems to evolve stylistically.- That is why I have never had any enthusiasm for playing a piece as a tribute-style copy. I learn it to understand technique and arrangement, not so that I can play it just the same as the recording.
I often change my fingering for pieces, and the final configuration often isn't settled until I'm well passed learning the song and I'm instead perfecting it.

Even then, it'll change while I'm playing it if I'm not paying attention and have to do a panic-chord change or something.

I also at times deviate from suggested fingerings if it doesn't make sense to me or my hand size doesn't allow it. Very rarely do I find suggested fingerings that are extremely well thought-out.
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Dreadnought I'm wondering if the TS is talking in terms of chord fingerings, or arpeggio patterns. Or possibly both?
I was thinking that as well, about halfway through my post.

If he's referring to voicings, then yeah, many musicians are definitely known to change those frequently on the spot, nowhere moreso than in jazz. (Directed at the OP, not you cranky)
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
I've been playing around with the fingering on guaranteed by E. Vedder. I get extremely bored simply trying to repeat a fingering pattern off a tab. I can pick out the melody by ear and follow along with the original tune... I'll use the tab as a starting point. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just being lazy or if even the original artist changes his or her finger patterns too. Doing the same thing over and over drives me nuts.
Most of those I listen to seem to change it a bit every time they play it. Copying someone else's arrangement (assuming the tab is actually any good!) is good practice, but it is a pretty sterile way to perform music.
Quote by Tony Done
Most of those I listen to seem to change it a bit every time they play it.
I think the most heinous example of this is Emerson, Lake, & Palmer's, "Lucky Man". The guitar (s?) on the album iterations of the song were always heavily arpeggiated, and I would swear done with a 12 string. When Lake performs the song in his later, he pretty much just grabs a J-200 and beats on it...

Quote by Tony Done
Copying someone else's arrangement (assuming the tab is actually any good!) is good practice, but it is a pretty sterile way to perform music.
The truth of the matter is, "rote performances", are pretty much the domain of classically trained musicians. I think you may even get extra points, for playing it exactly as written.

But for the rest of us, who are basically ad libbing to begin with, every day brings a different variable into play. "I'm stiff, I'm sick, I'm sore, I'm, tired, I forgot the words, oh my I feel great, I'm gonna make me some music", you know, like that...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 20, 2016,