Hey folks, GAS has struck again, and though I have two sick amps at the moment, as you all know, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I currently have a 6505+ 112 (modded into a head, and other heavy mods -- never getting rid of this thing; it's brutal), and a Peavey Classic 30 head. I'd be selling the Classic 30 to help fund this venture. The Classic 30 has been a fun amp to play around with -- the cleans are truly nice, and the crunch/overdrive has a nice warm tone -- but I find myself playing and preferring the 6505's green channel w/ crunch a lot more for those classic rock/hard rock types of tunes. Anyway, I just don't play the C 30 enough to warrant keeping it.

Now, there are three strong contenders I've been looking at (and I'm planning on going used; I'm not made of money):

Mesa Tremoverb
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Peavey JSX

I have played all three and like things about each one. Actually, that's not quite true; I haven't played a Tremoverb specifically, but I have played many Dual Recs and kind of know the tone, the thing about the Tremoverb is that I'm pretty sure it has an awesome clean channel which is VERY IMPORTANT in whatever new head I go with. My local music store has a pair of Tremoverbs on hand for $900 each, which I think is a pretty damned good deal, but definitely at the high-end of my budget. I'd have to sell a few things that I'd rather not part with to fund one of those. But, tone is tone -- in the end I can make sacrifices to obtain it. I should mention that I have a full pedalboard of goodies such as ODs, reverbs, delay, EQ pedals, etc. And I can play as loud as I want any time I want, pretty much, so it doesn't matter to me if the amp needs to be opened up a bit to sound its best. My 6505 sounds excellent at whisper volumes for any time the wife and kid are sleeping anyway, so I've always got that option.

EVH 5150 III 50 Watt: My local store has one of these for $575 (used), but I've played through it and it is in excellent condition/no problems whatsoever. Originally, I didn't like the 5150 III 100 watt head I tried years ago. But this one sounded great, and has excellent cleans as well. My biggest concern with going this route is that it is indeed similar to my 6505 -- but maybe there's enough difference to justify owning both? My 6505 would still have the edge on brutal/guttural death metal sounds. I don't know -- but I do know that $575 is a pretty good deal.

Finally, the JSX -- I played one a few years back and have never gotten over how awesome that thing sounded. Again, it ticks off the 'excellent cleans' requirement, but also had this beautiful lead tone that I think rivals anything my 6505 can do. I think it may be able to cover hard rock sounds a bit better than my 6505 too. The JSX is pretty easy to come by in the $5-600 range as well.

Anywho, decisions, decisions. If you've played all three, feel free to chime in on the pros and cons of each. Which amp do you think would complement my 6505 the best without necessarily covering all the same ground? Thanks!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The Trem-O-Verb is probably my favorite version of the Dual Rectifier. $900 is a good price for one too, and IIRC correctly, they haven't been made for some time.

No experience w/the EVH 5150. But you do already have the 6505, which I imagine would be pretty similar?

JSX's are good amps - Probably a better choice than the other two if you need more hard-rock (rather than modern high gain) types of tones.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Yeah, the EVH 5150 III and my 6505+ are similar, but I modded my 6505+ to have original 5150 specs on the lead channel which really changed it, making it much more ballsy and aggressive. The EVH 5150 III has a more nasally, tighter, and more sculpted tone but is still aggressive. But yes, they are the same family of tones. What I like about it is that it does indeed have a Fender clean which is much nicer than that of my 6505+ (not that it has terrible cleans). I imagine they could be blended on a recording for some interesting mixes of tones.

I found the JSX to still have enough gain and brutality to do death metal, but again, it's a bit more refined and smoother than my 6505. The cleans are awesome on the JSX as well. Not sure how it does on more "rock" and classic rock tones though.

The Mesa is the one that I'm interested in finding more about. How are the cleans on it? I do tend to use a lot of reverb/delay on my clean sounds; really never a lot of dry cleans. Tonally, its high-gain sounds are probably the most different from my 6505; hence my interest. Some of my favorite album tones ever were recorded by blending a Dual Rec and a 5150...so, that's a huge plus.

Basically, they're all great amps -- just not sure which one to pick.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
+1 to the JSX as well. I'll admit it's been a while since I last played one but it definitely does rock well.

I think 311sozovhjh on here has a rectoverb, hopefully he can chime in.

I don't know if you're open to other suggestions, but you may consider a Peavey Ultra+ or a Mesa Stiletto. Both have good cleans (the Ultra's clean reminds me of a Classic, though it's a bit less warm) and both are just as comfortable in a rock setting as metal.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by KailM
Hey folks, GAS has struck again, and though I have two sick amps at the moment, as you all know, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I currently have a 6505+ 112 (modded into a head, and other heavy mods -- never getting rid of this thing; it's brutal), and a Peavey Classic 30 head. I'd be selling the Classic 30 to help fund this venture. The Classic 30 has been a fun amp to play around with -- the cleans are truly nice, and the crunch/overdrive has a nice warm tone -- but I find myself playing and preferring the 6505's green channel w/ crunch a lot more for those classic rock/hard rock types of tunes. Anyway, I just don't play the C 30 enough to warrant keeping it.

Now, there are three strong contenders I've been looking at (and I'm planning on going used; I'm not made of money):

Mesa Tremoverb
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Peavey JSX

I have played all three and like things about each one. Actually, that's not quite true; I haven't played a Tremoverb specifically, but I have played many Dual Recs and kind of know the tone, the thing about the Tremoverb is that I'm pretty sure it has an awesome clean channel which is VERY IMPORTANT in whatever new head I go with. My local music store has a pair of Tremoverbs on hand for $900 each, which I think is a pretty damned good deal, but definitely at the high-end of my budget. I'd have to sell a few things that I'd rather not part with to fund one of those. But, tone is tone -- in the end I can make sacrifices to obtain it. I should mention that I have a full pedalboard of goodies such as ODs, reverbs, delay, EQ pedals, etc. And I can play as loud as I want any time I want, pretty much, so it doesn't matter to me if the amp needs to be opened up a bit to sound its best. My 6505 sounds excellent at whisper volumes for any time the wife and kid are sleeping anyway, so I've always got that option.

EVH 5150 III 50 Watt: My local store has one of these for $575 (used), but I've played through it and it is in excellent condition/no problems whatsoever. Originally, I didn't like the 5150 III 100 watt head I tried years ago. But this one sounded great, and has excellent cleans as well. My biggest concern with going this route is that it is indeed similar to my 6505 -- but maybe there's enough difference to justify owning both? My 6505 would still have the edge on brutal/guttural death metal sounds. I don't know -- but I do know that $575 is a pretty good deal.

Finally, the JSX -- I played one a few years back and have never gotten over how awesome that thing sounded. Again, it ticks off the 'excellent cleans' requirement, but also had this beautiful lead tone that I think rivals anything my 6505 can do. I think it may be able to cover hard rock sounds a bit better than my 6505 too. The JSX is pretty easy to come by in the $5-600 range as well.

Anywho, decisions, decisions. If you've played all three, feel free to chime in on the pros and cons of each. Which amp do you think would complement my 6505 the best without necessarily covering all the same ground? Thanks!

That's pretty common around here.

If you can postpone gratification (need it now), you can snag any of the 3 for silly prices. I've had a bunch of TremOVerbs from GC Used and the best price was $400 for a head. Peavey JSXs as mentioned are pretty solid and the best Bang for the $$$, IMO. It's not unusual to see them for $350. That's insane for a MIA amp being cheaper than the MIC or MIM EVH.
Don't you own an RM100?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^No, but that would be an option I'd strongly consider. Last time I looked for one though I couldn't find one anywhere in the U.S.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd say ENGL or Mesa if you want something different. You may have to stretch the budget a little bit.

Wanting way more versatility but still brutal is what led me to my Mesa Roadster. I scored the 212 combo for $1100 in mint condition with the original manual and an extra set of tubes.

That amp still makes me smile from cleans to rock to metal.

The cheapest way to get an ENGL is the e530 preamp and just run that into your existing amp fx return. You can get the e530 for around $500.

Also in budget is the Laney IronHeart.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Last edited by metalmingee at Nov 20, 2016,
Out of the ones you're considering, definitely the Trem. I'd hold off though and look on used sites for a better price, $900 is honestly a bit high in my opinion, I'd say $800 is pretty average. With $900 you could probably find an old 2-channel Rec, or even (my personal favorite Mesa) a Mark IV (IIIs are also dead sexy).

Do you have a firm number on budget? There are a TON of options for under a grand, including Kranks, and the Egnater Vengeance/Armageddon, the RM Randalls, I've seen a Thrasher or two at that price...

Point being that with a $1000 US, you are in the running for most everything except the Diezels, Bogners etc.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I can see your dilema. All good choices. None of them are really bad choices. I've basically played all of them in one form or another. I think the EVH is distinct enough that owning it and a 6505 would not be like having 2 of the exact amp. The EVH does a more convincing hard rock and 80's hair metal tone IMO and obviously has great cleans. For my money, I'd go Mesa Boogie though just due to the versatility and overall quality and workmanship.

I got my Rectoverb head for $490
^^^I'm definitely leaning toward a Mesa, mainly because they have a significantly different tone to my 6505. But of course they're the most expensive option.

A local pawn shop has had a Mesa Road King for a long time as well -- they might still have it. There's probably something wrong with it, but I could always check. Regular Dual Recs aren't too bad, but I think I've heard the cleans aren't that great. That's why I've been thinking along the lines of a Tremoverb, Road King, or Roadster. Of course, out of all the Mesas I've played, if I saw a Royal Atlantic for $1000 it would be my only option. I didn't care for the Mark V when I played one.

Anyhow, how would a Marshall JCM 2000 (DSL 100) match up to what I'm aiming for? (Great cleans/nice mid-gain/ability to be pushed into brutal territories?) I've seen some of those relatively cheap.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
well it comes down to do you want something really different or not. I really like the JSX and have enjoyed the EVH's I've tried but not super different from what you have. (although both certainly better than a 6505 combo). if you want different then go for different. Mesa of course is a good option as would be an Engl.
I think a recto with a boost is one of the coolest tones. Tight, aggressive, and always works well in a mix.

I just imagine the clean tone not being anything near what you'd want. The Roadster/Roadking have the Lonestar cleans I believe, but that's probably way above budget.

Have you thought about another Mesa like the mini Recto or the Mark V:25?

Edit:
Just saw you didnt like the Mark you played. But they can be a bitch to dial in. The tonestack is before the preamp, so keeping the bass nearly off is a must for a tight tone, and the low end and be brought up with the GEQ. Just a tip if you ever play one again.
Last edited by Ignite at Nov 22, 2016,
@Monwobobbo: I do want something different for sure. And normally I'd agree that the JSX and EVH are better than a 6505+ combo, but after modding mine into a head and doing quite a few preamp mods to it + the effects loop mod, it definitely will beat both the JSX and EVH 5150 for balls-out aggression. It sounds more like an original block-letter 5150. My dilemma is, are those two amps different enough to warrant adding one to my collection? I kind of need to play a JSX again to figure that out. The EVH I can play any time as long as the store doesn't sell it. I work two blocks away from the music store (bad, bad situation to be in...) I have also liked all the Engls I've seen but they've all been pretty high-priced/no used ones around. My budget definitely is capped at $1000, and I'd prefer to spend less.

@Ignite: I haven't really considered the mini-Rec or mini Mark, as they are relatively new and even used prices are pretty high. Also, I'm not sold on these low-wattage mini heads. I do like to play loud and pretty much every low-wattage amp I've ever played struggled to keep the low-end intact at high volumes. I want to own at least one 100 watt amp and experience that power. Good point about the Mark series though -- it was quite a few years ago that I played a Mark V, and most definitely I did not know how to get the best tone out of it. It was also the combo version which I think severely limits their sound. I'd like to try one again, only the head version through at least a large 2 X 12 cab.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Yeah the Marks can be a bit difficult, but at this point tons of people have documented their settings, so it may be worth it, if you can find one to try, finding some settings as a baseline and plugging the in.

I know that once I found the Petrucci settings for his Mark IVs, it made it a lot easier to find a really sick lead sound all my own.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.