Just picked this up off SleazBay for $180 shipped.
MIJ serial 98XXXXX. Yes, 7 numbers, prefix 98. I can provide complete number if required..
I hope I didn't get robbed
Also came with Jackson soft case.
Pre thanks guys! (And gals)

Can't tell..... where did you order it from and what country is the company from
Jackson 1998 catalog doesn't show a reverse with flame maple top, so I'm stumped. DKRFM..? Lol
Well, it was $180, so... how does it play?

I mean, for that money, does it really matter if it's a fake if it plays well?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
So, if it is indeed a DX10, what's the verdict on price? Seems like a decent deal for a MIJ Jackson, but I've been out of the Jackson loop for many years. I've owned several in the past, but all MIA Custom Shops...
That serial number puts it in the mid 2000s, not 1998.

It's a Dinky. I'd guess a DK2.

Price seems great for MIJ.

Start with the 2004 catalog on Jackson's site and go up from there.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Quote by metalmingee
That serial number puts it in the mid 2000s, not 1998. .

From what I've read on here, and elsewhere, 7 serial numbers and a 98 at the beginning, indicates a MIJ 1998 model.
Quote by Diatribes
From what I've read on here, and elsewhere, 7 serial numbers and a 98 at the beginning, indicates a MIJ 1998 model.

No. You're mistaken. I have a 2006ish DKMGT with a 973xxxx serial number and a 2004ish KE3 with a 970xxxx.

You can also just google Jackson guitar serial number Japan and read the thread from JCF forum.
Guitars:

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
From the catalogs I have yours matches a 2006 DX10D - X series, MIJ that year, chrome hardware, Duncan Designed pickups, with reverse headstock and inlays.
Guitars:

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Notice lack of relief at neck joint. Looks like a DX10 to me.
This was taken from said JCF:
7 Digit Serials
Starts w/ | Type of Jackson Guitar
1 | Performer (MIK)
94 | 1994 MIJ Concept guitars, first two digits denotes year (only made in 1994)
9 | 1996+ MIJ (all MIJ series, even JS MIJ), started with 96xxxxx and went up sequentially (97,98, etc)
I'm hoping you're wrong, if only to have a pre-Fender MIJ Dinky...
Although as long as quality is there, I don't care about pre fender etc. and it's not like I spent a grip on it. But damnit I expect a lot for my $180! It better out play my ESP M2 MIJ....
It's your guitar man - I really don't care - just trying to lend a hand.

If you have all of the info then why did you ask?

Enjoy it!
Guitars:

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
I've been doing research since I posted this. And I still welcome and appreciate others thoughts and opinions. Yours too. Thank you for taking time to share your knowledge.
i would guess dx, but i'm not that well up on jacksons. it just looks a bit more like one.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Pretty sure a 7 didget 98 is 2007 or newer. Made in Japan. A great value for $180
It's an X-series for sure. They're half-decent but could do with a lot of upgrading. New pickups, new Floyd etc.

For $180 you really cannot complain. They're very well made guitars for what they are and it looks in great condition.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
that's a nice score, no idea what model it is myself i'm not a jackson aficianado but for the price that's ridiculous.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
I'm hopeful it's a quality build. I'll find out when I receive it next week. I'm not disillusioned. I'm pretty sure it won't hold a candle to my MIJ ESP. But I'm willing to drop new "real" Duncan's, better pots and a Schaller on it, provided it doesn't look like a kindergartner built it.
Quote by Diatribes
I'm hopeful it's a quality build. I'll find out when I receive it next week. I'm not disillusioned. I'm pretty sure it won't hold a candle to my MIJ ESP. But I'm willing to drop new "real" Duncan's, better pots and a Schaller on it, provided it doesn't look like a kindergartner built it.

I think the Pro series MIJ guitars are a lot nicer in quality than the X series MIJ ones in my experience (and I've played A LOT of the old MIJ Pro series), but the X series are still OK.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think the Pro series MIJ guitars are a lot nicer in quality than the X series MIJ ones in my experience (and I've played A LOT of the old MIJ Pro series), but the X series are still OK.

Sounds about right, from what I've been researching. But there's also the price point. $180 gives me a lot of room to rework electronics and hardware, if needed. Anything beyond $400 or so, is creeping into MIJ ESP range. And in my opinion, there's no better MIJ than ESP.
And the dinky I picked up, with electronics of my choice and maybe a Schaller, still puts me under $400. If it's built ok. If not, I'll probably flip it.
That said, I think I'd prefer the DX10 with a Schaller and my electronics, than drop $400 or so on a DK that had a Jackson bridge and whatever puppies and pots etc.
At the end of the day it's just a toy though, and not my primary ride. I don't think I'll find a MIJ Jackson that will replace my M-II Deluxe...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

What differences have you noticed between the X and Pro?
Quote by guitarkid8

+1
I'm curious as well. Please share!
Quote by guitarkid8

In my experience out of playing about 20 different MIJ Pro Jacksons, they're just better made on average IMO. Better fret leveling, more nicely grained wood, alder bodies instead of basswood (not that it makes any real tonal difference, but it's obvious it was done that way because it's cheap) objectively better pickups, fewer cosmetic blemishes (read: none on the Pros) and inlays that are overall better finished.

It might just've been the particular X Series guitars I played, but that was the impression I got. The Pros I played were just higher quality instruments that I feel with mods are easily as nice as guitars that are a lot more expensive. And I don't sing that kind of praise often.

Sure I played fewer than 20 of the X Series like I did the Pros, but based on the few I played, I didn't feel too much incentive to play more of them when they're not that much cheaper than the Pros used so I felt their existence was always *dare I say* a bit redundant. Even if the pros are a bit more used, you get more for what you pay for IMHO YMMV etc.
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
In my experience out of playing about 20 different MIJ Pro Jacksons, they're just better made on average IMO. Better fret leveling, more nicely grained wood, alder bodies instead of basswood (not that it makes any real tonal difference, but it's obvious it was done that way because it's cheap) objectively better pickups, fewer cosmetic blemishes (read: none on the Pros) and inlays that are overall better finished....

Just also wondering the same question. Thank you for your information.
I think I would like to try if I have chance. Just wanna know the different. ^^
Quote by Diatribes
Notice lack of relief at neck joint. Looks like a DX10 to me.
This was taken from said JCF:
7 Digit Serials
Starts w/ | Type of Jackson Guitar
1 | Performer (MIK)
94 | 1994 MIJ Concept guitars, first two digits denotes year (only made in 1994)
9 | 1996+ MIJ (all MIJ series, even JS MIJ), started with 96xxxxx and went up sequentially (97,98, etc)

While the & digit MIJ serials numbers began with 96 in 1996 the year did not change every year so a setail that begins in 97 does not mean it was built in 97 etc. numbers beginning with 98 ran well into the mid 2000's I own 6 MIJ Jacksons and have researched extensively often nearrowing down the year of my guitar usinf archived catalogs and going by colors and electronics that were available during certain years and still it's not easy to nail down an exact year tracability is just not there for MIJ serial numbers after 95, but you can often narrow down by color and features from the catalogs.

Early DKMGTs had passive EMGs with a 10db boost which added a 3rd knob later models had active EMGs no boost and only two knobs as well as transparent colors for example all of this knwledge I gained from the archive catalogs, it's hit or miss at best but a serial beginning with 98 puts your guitar in the mid 2000's.

$180 for a mid 2000s MIJ in good shape is a good price.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 21, 2016,
Interesting. While not very extensive, I've had:

Used Indonesian JS RR V
Used DXMG
Used DK2
New DXMG
New DK2M

While the V was of noticeably cheaper build, I would consider all of the MIJ guitars I've had to be of the same quality.
Definitely looks like a DX10D, I had a trans blue one as one of my main guitars for many years. I will say that in my experience they vary in quality from model to model. I liked mine so much that I picked up a second one (trans black) used - it was like night and day between the two models. The blue one has - to this day - the most comfortable neck I have played, it was thin, fast, frets were perfect, it just felt great in the hand. I actually preferred the neck to my USA Jackson RR. The black one just felt off, it wasn't comfortable, felt chunky and awkward.

The pickups weren't as good on the black on either. Both DXs had the duncan designed pickups - I think HB102 or something - they were the cheap mans JB/Jazz set. I had an acutal SD JB/Jazz in my RR so I could compare directly. The blue guitar's pickups were almost spot on the real deal, very clear, articulate, nice bite. The pickups in the black model sounded really subdued in comparison, didn't sound as full or musical. I sold off the black one pretty quick, and eventually sold of the blue one because I wasn't using the trem and needed money for other guitars, still regret it to this day.

All that to say you may have a great guitar on your hands, hopefully you do.
Evilnine awesome man. I appreciate your shared knowledge.
guitarsngear, I'm with you on the vary in quality of MIJ guitars, but my experience is based solely on Ibanez guitars. While most of the time I've had great results, I have seen exact same make/model/origin guitars that vary greatly in quality.
And my ESP has Duncan Distortion/JB jr combo, so I'll be able to get a little bit of perspective on how the Duncan designed puppies sound versus the real Duncan's, granted they aren't of similar specs.
I'm not that concerned about pups sounding good. Easy fix, and I prefer to swap all electronics in favor of my preferences.
That said I'm hoping for quality in build, over quality in electronics.
There's a DX10D on sleazBay right now for $200 shipped. Looks decent, and purdy blue trans finish
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

yeah i haven't tried that many, but i remember a good while back I tried a couple of the x-series ones next to the pro series and the pro series did seem to be noticeably nicer.

EDIT: That's interesting that you mentioned the wood in your next post. I seem to remember trying an X series king V (poplar body i think IIRC) with a hardtail, and I think I tried it unplugged too, and IIRC it sounded less good than a floyd-loaded pro series which i tried next to it. Now, there are multiple reasons why that might be so, but most people (even floyd fans like me) would say that hardtails often sound "better" than floyds, at least before you start piling on the gain etc.. So there was something in the construction/parts, at least in those particular two, that made the pro one sound a lot better to my ears.

EDIT #2: So I actually looked up an old thread where I posted this stuff when i tried them, and it turns out it doesn't agree with what I posted above. So whether I'm misremembering or just know more about guitars now (probably both ), I'm not sure.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 21, 2016,