I have problems trying to solo with multiple areas of the guitar neck. I usually can do ok with say position 1 or maybe 2 of a scale or mode. But often if I go past position 1 I get stuck. I maybe able to create a couple licks but will find it hard to make like a full solo. For example in position 2, 3, etc of Minor, Dorian or Mixolydian I find it hard to really invoke those in a solo. Could you give any help as it would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!
Start using your ears, the important thing to keep in mind is that soloing isn't an exercise in moving your fingers - it's an exercise in creating music.

That means you need to shake of the habit of just moving your hands and hoping something good comes out and instead start approaching things with a bit more intent.

The most important note you'll ever play is the next one, the shift from the note you just played to the next is the next piece of your puzzle, the next word in your story. So actively think about what note you want to hear next and how you want to transition to it, then figure out where it is on the fretboard.

If it's in the same position you're already in then you might not need to move, but if you know you're going to be ascending for a while then you probably want to look at shifting up the great board to give you more space to work with, or you could simply play more horizontally. So don't be thinking foremost "how do I move to position x?", first think "what sound do I want next", then worry about where to find it.

As far as finding your way around the CAGED system which matches scale patterns to chord shapes is the best way to approach things early on. Sure you'll hear people say otherwise, but they're usually pompous, arrogant and have something to sell.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
One way forward is to refinger the licks and phrases you already know in these other positions, and then stay working in those positions more. But then wander around between them, even with same licks, phrases ... so slide up or down from one position to the other.

But are you comfortable with arpeggios from the scales, and what pitches make good landing notes? I'd definityeoly suggest you learn intervals in the areas you want to play in.
https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1
Quote by Mrpiggles4
I have problems trying to solo with multiple areas of the guitar neck. I usually can do ok with say position 1 or maybe 2 of a scale or mode. But often if I go past position 1 I get stuck. I maybe able to create a couple licks but will find it hard to make like a full solo. For example in position 2, 3, etc of Minor, Dorian or Mixolydian I find it hard to really invoke those in a solo. Could you give any help as it would be much appreciated!!!
Learn your chords. Don't solo anywhere on the neck where you don't know the shapes for the chords you're playing over. (All good guitarists know chord shapes everywhere.) When you know the chord shapes - or arpeggios at least - you'll know which of the notes in your patterns are chord tones, and can base phrases on them.
Last edited by jongtr at Nov 21, 2016,