My Amplifire is noisy, especially when electrical appliances are on in my house. All my guitars are getting noise so it's not just a guitar problem. I'm under the impression that the PSU, which is ungrounded and is a EU one with a EU to Japan (I live in Japan) adapter, is picking up noise.

Even with no other pedals the noise is there.

I am considering a diago minipower9 as it is supposedly quiet, and also possibly a truetone cs7 as it is isolated and supposed to be quiet. Hoping to keep my budget sub-50 usd but if that is not possible may get the cs7.

Any options I'm missing or any input? Thanks!

PS the Amplifire takes ac or dc, needs 1000ma.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Nov 20, 2016,
Quote by 21GunSalute
My Amplifire is noisy, especially when electrical appliances are on in my house. All my guitars are getting noise so it's not just a guitar problem. I'm under the impression that the PSU, which is ungrounded and is a EU one with a EU to Japan (I live in Japan) adapter, is picking up noise.

Even with no other pedals the noise is there.

I am considering a diago minipower9 as it is supposedly quiet, and also possibly a truetone cs7 as it is isolated and supposed to be quiet. Hoping to keep my budget sub-50 usd but if that is not possible may get the cs7.

Any options I'm missing or any input? Thanks!

PS the Amplifire takes ac or dc, needs 1000ma.
Most pedal PSU's are not grounded i.e. only two-prong. The issue methinks is not grounding, but just interference, as you said- but a grounded plug will not necessarily help that. If I have a fan on plugged into the same power strip as my amp or pedals, I'll get a low hum. It is even worse with the pickups close to the fan. Single-coil guitars will pick up interference very easily compared to humbucker-equipped guitars as well.

Curious bit that they allow either 9V AC or DC.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 20, 2016,
I am using an el cheapo 2A switch mode supply I bought off ebay. I had to reverse the polarity but that's easy. I am running my Amplifire, a Dirty Robot a Tubescreamer and Mooer Wahter off it. No noise. It only cost $5. Buy two in case one goes pop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I am using an el cheapo 2A switch mode supply I bought off ebay. I had to reverse the polarity but that's easy. I am running my Amplifire, a Dirty Robot a Tubescreamer and Mooer Wahter off it. No noise. It only cost $5. Buy two in case one goes pop.

Do you know which polarity worked?

Thanks
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
The Amplifire will take anything, 9V to12V AC or DC either polarity. I swapped mine to normal FX pedal polarity so I could use it with whatever.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This sounds like a problem with the house wiring. I'd look into a ground or isolation solution for the circuit in your house.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Quote by metalmingee
This sounds like a problem with the house wiring. I'd look into a ground or isolation solution for the circuit in your house.

It's possible my house has issues but the adapter I am using that came with the Amplifire is ungrounded 2-prong, so I don't think it's from an issue in my house's grounding capability
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you