Good day all.

Im done with carrying seperate effects around all te time, especially the connecting and disconnecting, So im thinking about buying a multi effect

My eye fell on the Line 6 Pod HD500X. Now I read some things about the thing; like it takes some time to figure it out, and it is, offcourse, not something to compare with having all the seperate effects. But also the good things make me wanting it. By the way, I really dont mind playing around with settings a lot, I enjoy it even, sitting half a day making sounds. So that is also why I dont bother considering a Boss ME pedal, on which you are done quickly. I love how it [the line 6] has a shitload of effects, amp models etc.

So to push me over the edge of buying it, who here has one, and what are your thoughts about the piece? Is it a must buy, or should I avoid it?

(and yes, I will try it in the store ofcourse!)
Quote by Cathbard
I am curious how the Atomic units could compare used to the HD500. I did not really see many Amplifires but HD500s can be found for around $300 USD used, Amplifires new are around double that price.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 21, 2016,
Quote by Crazy Redd

(and yes, I will try it in the store ofcourse!)

All you really want to try it for is to see if it's working properly. Don't even bother to listen to any of the presets; they're there to let you know some of what's available on the unit, not as real, suggested user options. If you buy new, insist on one new in the box (never the display unit). Used pieces are a different story; they're running $275 and under here in LA if you haunt Craig's List for a week or two.

The HD500's a good piece (I have a couple), and I'd like to suggest that you check out meambobbo's Tone Guide ( http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ ) to help you get things in order and off to a good running start. There are also websites like vettaville and even the custom tone section of the Line 6 site that will widen your options considerably.
Quote by dspellman
All you really want to try it for is to see if it's working properly. Don't even bother to listen to any of the presets; they're there to let you know some of what's available on the unit, not as real, suggested user options. If you buy new, insist on one new in the box (never the display unit). Used pieces are a different story; they're running $275 and under here in LA if you haunt Craig's List for a week or two.

The HD500's a good piece (I have a couple), and I'd like to suggest that you check out meambobbo's Tone Guide ( http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ ) to help you get things in order and off to a good running start. There are also websites like vettaville and even the custom tone section of the Line 6 site that will widen your options considerably.

hmm I get you point about the first part, listening to it in the store will only give me an impression of the stock presets. Only thing is, I´m going to order it only. (Im from the Netherlands btw, ordering stuff here is like going to a store: delivery within 24 hours and if I dont like it I can send it back within 60 days, even if taken out of the box). So I'll still try it out in a store, like the showmodel or something, I want to know the feel of it.

Secondly, you have a couple of 'm, do you think it replaces loose pedals good enough? Or should I stick to losse pedals. (which costs more in the long run, and where Ill still have to carry around a lot of weight)

And thanks for the link btw!
I had an XT Live for almost 10 years and moved up to the HD Bean after it crapped out. The POD will replace most pedals easily depending on your preferences. The only pedal I still use almost exclusively is my wampler superplextortion. Haven't found anything Zoom, Boss, Line 6 or whatever that can touch that pedal, But it plugs right into the Pod with no problem. All my other pedals are no longer in use.

Edit: I should add I got the Bean for $230 american used with a 3 year warranty
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
Skreddy Lunar Module
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod XT live
Last edited by scott58 at Nov 21, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
I am curious how the Atomic units could compare used to the HD500. I did not really see many Amplifires but HD500s can be found for around $300 USD used, Amplifires new are around double that price.
The Amplifire is quite new. Of course there are less used ones out there. But really, unless you are going to a Helix the Amplifire will cream anything made by Line6.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Crazy Redd

Secondly, you have a couple of 'm, do you think it replaces loose pedals good enough? Or should I stick to losse pedals. (which costs more in the long run, and where Ill still have to carry around a lot of weight)

I have two and a half flap top bins of various pedals, packed neatly and tightly. Some are now "vintage," whatever that really means with ratty old pedals, because I almost never get rid of anything.
I really really like individual pedals (apparently) and have carted around pedals on boards, in drawers in the backline, etc.

I just got lazy. For live music, mostly the "pedals" in the better multiFX are just fine. I have much less fuckwithage and fewer points of potential failure, including power supplies, connectors, switches, knobs, connector cables, etc. I've also got less money invested. Compare the cost of a single used HD500 with a jillion available pedals to a single Wampler pedal. Now multiply that by two if you need backups for live performance.

Functionally, I can route almost any group of "pedals" any way I like and change it completely on the next user preset. More subtly, I can change where one pedal is set from one preset to the other in the middle of a song. And much more.
Quote by Cathbard
The Amplifire is quite new. Of course there are less used ones out there. But really, unless you are going to a Helix the Amplifire will cream anything made by Line6.

The Amplifire provides good quality output, but has decided to skimp on "features," by Atomic's own admission. Anything it considered spurious, it's left off (which is why you have three switches and no expression pedal, etc.).

This was well-received by some, but Atomic has recently introduced the Amplifire 12, which adds size, weight, complexity along with "more control" and "more flexibility" and you still need to buy an Expression pedal. Oh, and it adds about 30% to the pricetag.

It's difficult to find any of these used (there may be one on Reverb) because in the US, at least, they're single sourced (you buy direct from Atomic) and sold in very small numbers.
I've actually found three buttons to be enough. Two to go up and down through the patches and the third to kick in the lead sound. I bought mine used off greg for $500. But yeah, very few of them out there used and those that are are not cheap. Still, they are worth the extra money over a Pod. Now be honest, you run a Two notes Torpedo on your Pod to make it acceptable. That makes it much more expensive than an Amplfire doesn't it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've actually found three buttons to be enough. Two to go up and down through the patches and the third to kick in the lead sound. I bought mine used off greg for $500. But yeah, very few of them out there used and those that are are not cheap. Still, they are worth the extra money over a Pod. Now be honest, you run a Two notes Torpedo on your Pod to make it acceptable. That makes it much more expensive than an Amplfire doesn't it?

The Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. is a relatively recent addition -- the Pod was pretty much "acceptable" the way it was. But the C.A.B. adds cabinet IRs (in an interesting format) that the Pod didn't have, and it adds Power Amp sims that are really nice. Together the pair of them are more money than the Amplifire.
But before there was a Helix, the footpedal Pods also offered Variax options (and I have Variax guitars) including the ability to change guitar models and alternate tunings. And much more.
You are patently easier satisfied than me. The HD500X just didn't do it for me. However, I have been gigging with the Amplifire pretty much exclusively now. Sure, it aint as good as my RM100 but only I notice it.
If you are using Variax guitars that's a different thing. I don't. I have my sound, I don't need no bazouki sound. I'm a P90 into a SLO man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've had the HD500 for a few years as my main source of tones and effects.

If you're looking for nice amp modelling, skip it. It feels bad. Amp models are unrealistic and feel digital, I don't find them much better than the X3 models honestly. Cabs are mostly nasty and stuffy sounding, but you can coax some usable tones with the "deep" editing. However, if you play with it enough, I believe it's capable to do whatever you need, just not the best at what it does. Twelve Foot Ninja actually uses one for their studio tone if you want to check out how they sound.

The effects are pretty decent though. Not much to say here, it excels as an effects unit. But I could never get it to sound right with the 4 cable method through my old amp. My tone became airy and really dry sounding, as if there was some sort of weird filter on it, even after a factory reset and blank preset. Could have been my amps FX loop though, I'm not sure. Could be a faulty unit.

After about 5 years of rarely tapping the switches, I've noticed some have become very very touchy, sometimes registering as two taps. But as I rarely use them, it doesn't have much impact on me.

Its hard for me to recommend it, but honestly I don't know anything better in the price range. I'd say get one used for a better bang.
Last edited by Ignite at Nov 22, 2016,
Quote by Cathbard
You are patently easier satisfied than me. The HD500X just didn't do it for me. However, I have been gigging with the Amplifire pretty much exclusively now. Sure, it aint as good as my RM100 but only I notice it.
If you are using Variax guitars that's a different thing. I don't. I have my sound, I don't need no bazouki sound. I'm a P90 into a SLO man.

One of the nice things about the Variax: all of the single coil pickup sounds running via the VDI cable into an HD500 or Helix are RF noise free. And that includes P90s (which you're able to edit). Same goes for any of the acoustic models, which are feedback free. Another of the nice things is that you can, if you wish, assign the tone and volume knobs to control various aspects of effects, etc., on the Helix/HD500. If you're running via the VDI cable, the magnetics signal isn't compromised by capacitance (as you'd normally experience on some standard cables) of the cable. I haven't gotten around to the bazouki sound yet; is there one on there?
First things first if you are bad with computers don't buy one. Second learn how signal flow and effect order changes your sound. Lastly the noise gate is your friend.

I bought my HD500X about two years ago and have really loved using it. I can get a decently wide variety of sounds out of it. It's great for low volume but good tone. That's my favorite thing about it. I run it most of the time in stereo into a high end pair of computer speakers (I know, no monitors such a peasant). My biggest complaint is it is way too easy to overload the DSP when trying to make shoegaze type sounds with a lot of effects. It was mainly bought as a holdover to use until I have enough cash for a Fractal Axe-Fx II.

Also all the presets are trash, delete them immediately.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Last edited by EntropicDiscord at Nov 26, 2016,
Quote by EntropicDiscord
First things first if you are bad with computers don't buy one. Second learn how signal flow and effect order changes your sound. Lastly the noise gate is your friend.

I bought my HD500X about two years ago and have really loved using it. I can get a decently wide variety of sounds out of it. It's great for low volume but good tone. That's my favorite thing about it. I run it most of the time in stereo into a high end pair of computer speakers (I know, no monitors such a peasant). My biggest complaint is it is way too easy to overload the DSP when trying to make shoegaze type sounds with a lot of effects. It was mainly bought as a holdover to use until I have enough cash for a Fractal Axe-Fx II.

Also all the presets are trash, delete them immediately.

Thanks! Still mixed feelings about it from what I read here. Im watching lots of youtube vids also to get an idea of what I could do with it and if I want it.
Thing is, my budget is nog that great, Axe FX would be nice but they are expensive af. Since im not a pro, guitar career wise, I dont think it will be worth the money. It is going to be used mainly in my home setup and for my band 1 time each week (since we do not have so many shows anymore..). It has to be worth the money but also be good quality wise. I thought about Boss ME or some sort, but I really like the way you can mess around with the POD HD500 on a computer. So I dont have to bend downward to the floor each time I want to change the settings.

What I look for is something that can replace my pedals and add a bunch of effect I do not have, nor have the money for to buy seperate, and that all in one floorboard. Off course within limits because nothing can replace a seperate effect.

Or are my whishes to big?
Crazy Redd
If all your really looking for is to cover off your effects end and your set from an amplifier standpoint, have you considered a Line 6 M9/13? It's essentially all the effects from the HD but no amp modeling. Maybe this will better suit your needs.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
The only thing with the M series is generally to get one of the more dear ones you might pay as much or more than what a HD500 costs, or at least it WAS that way back when I was looking at M series setups.

They're definitely a solid option, I just feel like the HD series is the better bargain.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Is it mostly the connecting & disconnecting you've had enough of with your separate pedals?

Why not just get a pedalboard built into a carry case so you can leave them all connected? Each time you set up will be no different to plugging in to a multi effects unit.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
it all depends on what you are looking for.

I have had a few MFX processors (including an HD and an M- series line 6) and they do the job fine. HOWEVER it was more than i (and most people) need.

I don't use a lot of effects, so I get by with a pair of OD's, a wah, a chorus, a delay and a tremolo. and it sounds much better than the line 6 did. I don't even have to do much tap dancing for what I do.

if you need a lot of features, the POD is a great piece of gear.

YMMV.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dspellman No. I was just being facetious.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you need the Amp Modeling, you should go with something else unless the used price of one is your limit.

If you just need a multiFX processor, go with the M9 while its price is hovering around $299 unless you want the expression pedal.
I owned my HD500 for 5 years, and generally hated it most of the time. The power supply, when they break (and they will), is very expensive. When they were current, the developers promised continual upgrades, and they only came out with a few, nothing like current modelers.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
I owned my HD500 for 5 years, and generally hated it most of the time. The power supply, when they break (and they will), is very expensive. When they were current, the developers promised continual upgrades, and they only came out with a few, nothing like current modelers.

I've found stacks of power supplies on eBay for cheap. Why they go with an external brick transformer on a down-front footpedal-type unit is confusing to me (they don't on a rack version), anyway. Perhaps because I have extras, I've never had one break. Quirk Of The Universe.

I don't remember promises of continual upgrades, though I do remember upgrades that, for a time, fixed niggling issues that popped up. Some manufacturers *do* provide regular upgrades (I think Axe keeps their current models current), but even those peter out. My Axe Ultra, for example, hasn't seen an upgrade in years and I don't expect one. I think that on current models, a few upgrades will happen to correct issues and then the aftermarket (IRs in particular) will take over from there. The Helix, for example, is seeing a pretty wide group of aftermarket presets (and IRs) being packaged up.

The same happens with the more mature technology on keyboards. You'll see a few upgrades for new gear as the manufacturers catch up on features they hadn't been able to get right in time for the initial launch of the product, but beyond that, the "upgrades" happen as aftermarketeers provide changes based on the basic product hardware and software.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 30, 2016,
Quote by GaryBillington
Is it mostly the connecting & disconnecting you've had enough of with your separate pedals?

Why not just get a pedalboard built into a carry case so you can leave them all connected? Each time you set up will be no different to plugging in to a multi effects unit.

I have this. A case originally for a large mixer. I built it so that I only have to plug in my guitar and a cable for in the wall (power). It looks very nice and works like a charm.

BUT

The thing weighs, with full setup in it, around 25kgs (55 lbs?). And it is full, so when I want a new pedal I have to swap which I do not like. Originally when I made the case it was heavier, around 33kgs but with some wood and other materials changing it was a bit less heavy.

Secondly, I use it in both bands I play in, which is two days in a week and occasionally I go to a friend with the case. Also, my guitar 'room/studio' is on the second floor of my house... do the math

Why am I considering the POD HD 500x over other pedals? I really like the option to edit on the computer, and I have good experiences with line 6. and offcourse the price is right in the upper class multi effects.

Why am I hesitating then? I'm not.. really. Mostly I buy things without thinking about it nor reading information etc, which mostly ends up in regret.