Page 1 of 2
surprised no one has made a thread on this

There's been an ongoing dispute between the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and a pipeline company. Been going on since last August, I believe. Pipeline wants to run a line under a major river near the reservation. The tribe fears that a spill would contaminate the water for millions, and it would go through sacred land. The company has already bulldozed a burial site

some of the timeline, but I didn't look over the article closely
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/09/dakota-access-pipeline-protest-timeline-sioux-standing-rock-jill-stein

police are currently using water cannons, tear gas, and concussive grenades on a crowd in below freezing weather. this is after the use of attack dogs, rubber and plastic bullets at close range, beatings, and a host of other less than civil responses to a peaceful protest

The major media outlets have continually ignored the events going on in our backyard and basically refused to air anything about this until it had blown up on social media for over a week. Even then, mentions are largely cursory.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Nov 20, 2016,
Quote by BladeSlinger
Standing Rock Sioux
That jazzy band in Star Wars?
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016

Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls

This is from tonight, I believe, where police are using water cannons on protesters. It's about 25 degrees outside.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
that's fucked up
Been happening for about two months now. DAPL has ignored the Army Corps of Engineers' requests to delay action, and they've continually continued construction when asked to stop or been directed to by judges. It's Army Corps land, and a previous treaty adds another level of shadiness. Well over 100 US citizens have been arrested or brutalized on questionable charges, multiple politicians have voiced dissent, and police from like seven states are there with riot gear, a lot of weaponry, and military style vehicles. I don't really know the exact term for those vehicles, so that's what I've got.

Almost all the violence has been initiated by security forces contracted by DAPL, or police have basically instigated shit. They've maced prayer meetings, shot reporters in the face with non-lethal bullets, shot down drones recording the action, shot and injured horses, and there were a few cases where an instigator was put into the crowd that was clearly coordinating with the police.

Major news sources have barely covered it at all and mention nothing at all for a couple weeks or so. Passing mentions in the first week after the attack dogs were let into a crowd. No real coverage though. I've basically kept up through live streams and pictures from people who are there because so few stations will actually post anything.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
jesus christ, it's 2016 and we're still treating people like dirt for petty reasons

I heard about this a few weeks ago, damn shame really...
oh yea, for a while the security forces cut off all aid going to the camp.

From what I'm seeing from people there, the police are macing them while spraying them with water cannons in freezing weather, and they're pretty much blocking the road so there's limited access to aid currently. People in the camp have set up triage and stuff, but that's about it.

This was going on as the dude who did the armed takeover in Oregon were acquitted. They did an armed takeover of a federal building as a form of protest. Thousands of people are at Standing Rock, and police have been treating it as a riot, literally. They're charging people with rioting.

^Yea, you heard about it a few weeks ago, but they've been physically protesting since August and in court over this shit for over a year.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Some have reportedly lost consciousness, and ambulances are on site to help people soaked from water cannons. It may be 25 degrees, but the wind chill makes it more like 17.

what a strange coincidence that the officers chose a water cannon on such a night
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Now it's rubber bullets, mace, and water at close range. At least four protesters confirmed hit, one possibly in the heads.

At this rate, someone is getting a promotion. I mean, they gave medals to the soldiers in the Sand Creek Massacre. Mutilating the corpses of the unarmed people you just murdered is hard to top, so these guys will probably just get a year end bonus or something.

some info and a stream. doubt the stream will stay up though. They mysteriously stop working pretty quickly compared to previous days with less violence
https://www.rt.com/usa/367592-dapl-protest-bridge-teargas/#.WDJtCYSc6rw.twitter

People trapped on a bridge and possibly freezing to death but
Officers on the scene are describing protester's [sic] actions as very aggressive. Protesters have also engaged in organized tactical movement and attempted to flank and attack the law enforcement line from the west," the statement claims.

Also, multiple officers have left Standing Rock after feeling like their actions were not ethical. I can't remember if they resigned or not

After firing into the crowd, many protesters started fires to help keep warm. The police are now releasing statements that they're responding to a riot where fires have been started, leaving out the part where they initiated the violence.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Thanks for posting about this. I hadn't heard about it until everyone started checking in on Facebook but I didn't want to base my opinion on this solely off of that. I have seen a few good articles about it in print media but not a whole lot online and nothing that really covered the protests.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
Thanks for posting about this. I hadn't heard about it until everyone started checking in on Facebook but I didn't want to base my opinion on this solely off of that. I have seen a few good articles about it in print media but not a whole lot online and nothing that really covered the protests.
One of my friends from home actually drove up there from New Mexico to stand with the protesters for a while. All the tribes there have their flags set up, and he got a picture of the Muscogee Creek Nation flag while he was there since we grew up the town over from the Creek capital. Was pretty cool. I get updates basically every day on Facebook because I know so many people who actively keep up with it. Twitter is blowing up right now, and one of my old college instructors is retweeting shit like crazy.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah seriously I wouldn't have known about this until this thread. Shits massively fucked up

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
man i didn't know it had gotten so bad. i don't know anything regarding the rights of the oil pipeline and the land ownership and sovereignty of native american states etc, but the handling of the protests is inhuman
"it's all history natives should just get over it"

continues to disrespect land

this is how most of america treats this issue.

i've been following this but have been silent on this. I really hope this protest succeeds.
ABC and MSNBC are reporting things exactly how the sheriff office is i.e. water cannons are not being used or that water cannons are being used to put out fires.

I hope every one of those officers face charges.

Like, the sheriff is actively spreading misinformation to news stations even though the live streaming shows the literal opposite happening. All this riot gear gets nation news when it's Ferguson or somewhere else. Standing Rock hashtags have less visibility on social media or on news networks despite the severity of what's happening. The president has been lukewarm at best.

From the Morton County Sheriff's Office, October 26.
Check this out... More than 90% of the protesters arrested for their unlawful actions while protesting the construction of the DAPL are from out of state

People traveling to Standing Rock for support has been widely shared on social media and documented with pictures or videos. Outside sources have donated money or made statements, but the Sheriff's Office posts something like this insinuating that this is somehow damning information? Also, "agitators". Violence first broke out when DAPL started point guns in people's faces and bringing in dogs.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Nov 21, 2016,
the really fucked up thing about this (as well as everything leading up to this) is that broadly, most americans act like these people don't even exist anymore. people are being treated like relics from a forgotten era. we are taught that any injustices happened in the past while being fed stupid portrayals of lazy, entitled natives while their land and safety is still being disrespected. meanwhile many people ask if natives are even still around while the media mostly ignores these protests, law enforcement blatantly lies about their brutality, and most people say just to get over it, only talking about natives in the present tense when they bring up their "1/32" ancestry despite having no real connections to any of these nations. maybe I'm wrong but the "broader american psyche" seems to be that we should act like this isn't even a real thing while the largest native protest in history is happening and there is real human suffering. that's in part why this doesnt get the attention fergusson gets (and that's bad enough)
Seems pretty fucked up by all accounts.

Although government-business ventures have a long history of displacement, and not just for native Americans. TVA displacing thousands for dams, etc
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by slipknot5678
the really fucked up thing about this (as well as everything leading up to this) is that broadly, most americans act like these people don't even exist anymore. people are being treated like relics from a forgotten era. we are taught that any injustices happened in the past while being fed stupid portrayals of lazy, entitled natives while their land and safety is still being disrespected. meanwhile many people ask if natives are even still around while the media mostly ignores these protests, law enforcement blatantly lies about their brutality, and most people say just to get over it, only talking about natives in the present tense when they bring up their "1/32" ancestry despite having no real connections to any of these nations. maybe I'm wrong but the "broader american psyche" seems to be that we should act like this isn't even a real thing while the largest native protest in history is happening and there is real human suffering. that's in part why this doesnt get the attention fergusson gets (and that's bad enough)
Exactly. They're not people in the American psyche for the most part. They're mostly just a caricature or something in the history books.

The native ancestry is more of a novelty or fashion statement more than anything. Like, I think I'm literally 1/32 Native and have a CDIB card, but that's just how it is around here. I don't think I really encountered much of the 'my great grandma was a cherokee princess' thing until I was a little older because I grew up around people who were like a quarter Cherokee. I know quite a few full blood Creeks. Creek Nation really involves people in stuff so there's more awareness, but my sister has talked to people who legit think it's like cowboys and indians around here.

like, Natives aren't just one of the most economically disadvantaged groups (and are killed by police more); they're not even as real as other demographics in much of America. The idea of "Native American" culture or language is widespread, as if it were some homogeneous thing. Then there's this whole fetish of Native American anything as immediately spiritual or in tune with nature. One of the few widely circulated stories about Standing Rock was when a ton of bison "appeared" out of nowhere near the protest site. It was a blatant piece of clickbait rooted in Native American spiritualism, but they left out how those were driven there on purpose by people, Native people I believe. No mystery, no spirits.

This resurgence of Native unity is similar to a few other movements in history, and the government responded violently then too. Look at how they mobilize in humvees and draw in officers from multiple states. The US government has never been interested in Native Americans recovering unless they were fully assimilated.

^This is near land they were forcibly relocated to that has grown smaller and smaller over the years. Like, this is where the government forced them, and Obama is essentially doing nothing to uphold that deal. The land given to Natives was almost universally shit, basically what white farmers couldn't use. This is the land they promised; displacement is criminal.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Nov 21, 2016,
BladeSlinger

yeah.

colinialism/manifest destiny/etc never really ended here and shit hasnt really changed ever since the outright genocide ended
tbh I don't think that America will ever heal relationships between native Ams without acknowledging that vast areas of the US economy are basically in debt to them by virtue of building on their stolen property. And they won't do that because it doesn't fit their exceptionalist ideology - and their pockets aren't deep enough (they are) - to acknowledge that they owe them a lot of land and reparations back. Anything less is kind of like stealing someone's life savings and then giving them a weekly pocket money with a "fuck you" smile.
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 21, 2016,
Quote by slipknot5678
"it's all history natives should just get over it"

continues to disrespect land

this is how most of america treats this issue.

i've been following this but have been silent on this. I really hope this protest succeeds.

Is there any country that does right by the indigenous though?
Rebel Scum

no but some do worse than others and regardless i don't know why people say this as if it makes it any less bad. obviously what is happening in austrailia and taiwan and myanmar and a lot of places is bad but why should that make me more apathetic to what is going on in america?

also i dont wanna call you out specifically for this cause i dont think you meant it this way but imagine getting sprayed by a water canon and dogs sent after you and then thinking "yeah but every country does this right?" protecting america's collective ego i.e. american exceptionalism seems to be more important than ending actual human rights abuses, and deflecting by saying it's no big deal because there are other countries with similar problems is a common way of perpetuating this mindset.
well this is a whole lot of bad.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug

Fossil fuels stike again go figure!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine

Fossil fuels stike again go figure!
yeah i feel this is both an inaccurate and an unfair interpretation of the events
The company itself has done a lot of shady shit, but so has law enforcement. Redirecting the pipeline has been suggested many times, but the CEO rejected the idea.

The fossil fuel industry isn't inherently evil. Violently oppressing people to secure cash flow is. It could be done by any industry that's so heavily tied up in state affairs. From what I've seen, the company has a history of spills.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by slipknot5678
Rebel Scum

no but some do worse than others and regardless i don't know why people say this as if it makes it any less bad. obviously what is happening in austrailia and taiwan and myanmar and a lot of places is bad but why should that make me more apathetic to what is going on in america?

also i dont wanna call you out specifically for this cause i dont think you meant it this way but imagine getting sprayed by a water canon and dogs sent after you and then thinking "yeah but every country does this right?" protecting america's collective ego i.e. american exceptionalism seems to be more important than ending actual human rights abuses, and deflecting by saying it's no big deal because there are other countries with similar problems is a common way of perpetuating this mindset.

I wasn't saying that to call you out or anything either. I agree with what you originally said.
I've also been surprised at the low level of coverage this has received. Of course leave it to Russia fucking Today to struggle at hiding its erection at injustice in the US like a middle schooler in gym shorts.

Don't native reservoirs lie outside the jurisdiction of regular police?
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
ali.guitarkid7

not really. in practice "tribal sovereignty" gives indigenous governments no power greater than that of a basic county government in most areas. some nations have their own police force, but legally police can operate anywhere in their state if im not mistaken.
Quote by Baby Joel
yeah i feel this is both an inaccurate and an unfair interpretation of the events

Because nothing unscrupulous has ever been done in the name of fossil fuels.?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Why would the pipeline company need more water piped under their land if they already have enough water to hose the protestors.

oh wait
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
I've seen more stuff about this today, but a lot of my friends are very aware of Native issues. Still seems like most people just don't give a shit.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's really disgraceful. Solidarity my native amigos.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
dunno where all this "there is no coverage of it" stuff is coming from. I've had it shoved in my face every day for like 2 months
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
dunno where all this "there is no coverage of it" stuff is coming from. I've had it shoved in my face every day for like 2 months
But is it on Facebook and other social media websites? I get a shit ton of it too, but that's only because people are constantly sharing it. I didn't see a lot of coverage from more mainstream sources like we saw with other big protests
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
But is it on Facebook and other social media websites? I get a shit ton of it too, but that's only because people are constantly sharing it. I didn't see a lot of coverage from more mainstream sources like we saw with other big protests

>suggesting that facebook and new media isn't a million times more relevant and widespread than wolf blitzer or bill O'Myaudienceis70Reilly
It was my privilege
Page 1 of 2