Hey all,

I'm in a Rage Against the Machine-esque band and am looking a way to replicate Tom Morello's tone. I know he uses a 1987 or 1988 JCM800 2205 with mostly single coil-ish pickups for most stuff. I know it's about the crunch and he doesnt use a lot of gain. I'm wondering if there are any other recommendations for an alternative to a JCM800 2205? I know there are a few up on eBay and reverb but they're all over $1,000+ and I'm trying to avoid spending that if at all possible. Would be open to combo amp recommendations as well. Also, I know Morello uses pedals. These are for his solos. The main tone shaping comes from his use of single coil neck pickups and the JCM800. That said, do you guys have any recommendations? I've looked at a Peavey Windsor (I know they're modeled after the JCM800 2204 but not 2205. Any advice from the gear sages would be appreciated!
Under the assumption that you're on a budget, have a look at a Marshall DSL40c. It's based on the JCM2000 which is basically a JCM800, but with a second 'lead' channel, so should get you close. They're also pretty affordable new or used!

On a side note what are you using guitar wise? I'm interested as I too like that Morello sound...
Quote by Vampire_State

Actually No...its a Vintage Digitech whammy WH1 like this here

But thats only for effects anyway not the core sound that slizewskil is asking about
Jato_BZ I use an EMG - H. I actually have an axe fx that i'm using a JCM 800 amp model patch and it sounds super close!
Quote by slizewskil
Jato_BZ I use an EMG - H. I actually have an axe fx that i'm using a JCM 800 amp model patch and it sounds super close!

Nice! are you running the H pickup in the Neck? Are you running an 81 or 85 for the bridge pickup? Have read its one of those and the amp makes a huge difference too.

If you're interested I am building an Arm The Homeless over here.