Hello,

I'm wondering if the FRX Floyd rose is ambidextrous? I'd like to install one but they don't offer a left-handed model currently. Can the side of the whammy bar be changed to allow for left-handed installation? Thank you!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Marshall 1960 Lead Cab
Triple XXX Head
Quote by dspellman
Have you considered emailing Floyd Rose?
Yes I did actually! Thank you. I have yet to receive a response. I would obviously do my own research before posting on a forum.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Marshall 1960 Lead Cab
Triple XXX Head
Quote by KyleRR
I would obviously do my own research before posting on a forum.

Not "obviously."

I don't think you'd be surprised at the number of people who do no research at all before asking questions, would you?

I haven't seen a left-handed FRX yet. At least two castings would need to be swapped out in order to accommodate lefties, near as I can tell.
I followed the development of the FRX, the Stetsbar and the previous version Floyd Rose for LPs (Google it), and I'm not particularly impressed with any of them. They just stick up too high, IMHO. And I don't think they work nearly as well as a real FR, but that's a personal evaluation that you may not agree with.

Read carefully their cautions that some LPs have the wrong neck angle (it varies) for the FRX which will force you to do a bit of routing (which is precisely what most LP owners do NOT want to do). "The receiving portion of the spring tension transfer rod on the base plate extends slightly below the bridge and may rest on the body unless a tiny channel is routed." I'd very much suggest that you not spend the $300 or so on the FRX.

I'm playing a number of LPs with Floyds (an Axcess Custom and several Agiles). I've also tried LPs that have been *converted* to Floyds. The latter are often a PIA because some LP neck angles leave the Floyd pretty high in the air after installation. I've seen these Floyds eat their way through a standard LP case because of it. The Axcess is excellent. The shaved neck heel makes upper fret access VERY comfortable and I like the tummy cut. But you need to be aware that the body is thinner (and weight relieved) than that on your Standard. My Custom is actually chambered, and quite light. The Agiles are a mixed bag. One is a custom neck-through with a shaved neck heel similar to the Axcess and a wider nut (1 3/4") and a very solid body. Two of them have a "tilted" neck heel that works nearly as well as the Axcess neck heel, surprisingly enough, and both have fretboards with 24-frets. Same scale, but putting the 24th fret where the usual 22 fret goes meant that they had to extend the neck about 3/4" and move the bridge and bridge pickup toward the neck pickup about the same distance. Sounds complicated, but it works great, and upper fret access is outstanding. Also *solid* bodies (and heavy). And finally, the last Agile is a version with the standard clunky neck heel, 22 frets and a Floyd.

One of the things that the FRX obviously doesn't support is the option to change the material and the size of the sustain block on the Floyd. Cheaper Floyds have zinc/pot metal sustain blocks, OFRs have brass sustain blocks, and it's relatively inexpensive to buy larger sustain blocks in brass and other materials. I've settled on large brass versions, and I've found that in addition to tonal changes, using these blocks changes the "feel" of the Floyd, adding inertia (which can affect bends and vibrato) and it can also change the balance of the guitar slightly. The inertia change is very much different from changing spring rates on either traditional Floyds OR on the FRX, and you can feel it in your playing. The FRX doesn't give you that option, and I'd very much miss it.

I'd originally considered modifying an existing LP to accept a Floyd, but after trying several that had been modified (thanks to Gary Brawer in San Francisco and some of his helpful customers), I went with guitars that had been designed around a Floyd installation, and I'm really glad I did.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 21, 2016,
dspellman Alright, thank you for the information. Floyd Rose has yet to respond to my enquiry. But your comment has kind of swayed me to look a my lefty options with Floyd Rose original bridges.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Marshall 1960 Lead Cab
Triple XXX Head
Quote by KyleRR
dspellman Alright, thank you for the information. Floyd Rose has yet to respond to my enquiry. But your comment has kind of swayed me to look a my lefty options with Floyd Rose original bridges.

Unfortunately, Gibson doesn't put a lot of Floyds on their guitars (the Axcess, the Trad and one Studio "Shred" come to mind) and lefties are REALLY difficult to find. Agile makes a lot of lefty LPs, but I don't see them with Floyds. Carvin is really the best place to find an LP-alike with great woods, great finish, great neck heel, and (if you want) 22 OR 24-fret necks. And a lefty Floyd.

This one is a Koa top guitar with Sunset Burst edges