Poll: After you read what I wrote, which one should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: After you read what I wrote, which one should I buy?
Peavey Vypyr 75W
2 100%
Peavey Vypyr 30W
0 0%
Peavey Vypyr 15W
0 0%
Peavey Vypyr 100W
0 0%
Voters: 2.
UPDATE: I will only be choosing between 30 and 75W one. And I edited the initial post.

Hello fellow guitarist,

as the thread suggests I want to buy one of this amps, but I have the question regarding the power, loudness and price.

- I won't be using this amp to play against drums or gigs with, I will be using it only for home practice and recording (Not through USB, I will be miking the amp).
- I will probably be carrying around, to a friends house for example.
- I don't want a louder amp if I'm going to hold the volume knob close to 0, because I live in an apartment.
- I cannot save up more money for some better amp like Peavey Tube 60, best I can do is 300e.

The price difference between 75W and 30W in my country is around 30e, with the 75W costing around 260e. Personally I was aiming to buy a 75W one, because price tells me: "why not?" (with 30e difference), but on other hand, if I can save some money then also why not?

And the question is, do I need that much power (75W) for home practice and recording? Or will I lose any sound quality if I go for 30W?

Both amps have 12" Speakers, so taken what the poster under this post said, there should be no difference in quality, or is that the reality?

P.S.: And I will also try out (if I can) the amps myself even after going through your opinions and advices. And the thread won't display euro sign so I wrote just "e".

Cheers!
Last edited by ozarmidrashim87 at Nov 21, 2016,
Quote by ozarmidrashim87
but actually it's the size of the speaker that makes the amp sound louder, because it's pushing more air, but each of this amps has bigger speaker + double or somewhere around double power.
---
P.S.: I cannot save up more money for some better amp like Peavey Tube 60, best I can do is 300e. And I will also try out (if I can) the amps myself even after going through your opinions and advices. And the thread won't display euro sign so I wrote just "e".
Well, no, the size (diameter) of the speaker has more to do with bass response. Small diameter speakers typically have weaker bass response, so bigger diameter gives more bass response. The usual diameter for a guitar speaker, for a generally balanced bass response, is 12 inches. The bass response will be more prominent (I guess "louder" in traditional terms), but the actual overall volume is not necessarily attributed to the speaker diameter. Or at least that is not the highest contributing factor. The "size" of the speaker in terms of wattage rating only tells you how much heat energy from the amp the speaker can deal with, not the speaker's inherit volume capabilities.

The honor of volume does go to amp wattage, although wattage is not everything as well- it is just a very general guide. Speaker sensitivity, frequency response, and cabinet housing have a lot to do with it as well.
---
Have you looked on the used market for the Tube 60? I would think you could find one in your price range. That is what I came here to suggest.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 21, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
Well, no, the size (diameter) of the speaker has more to do with bass response. Small diameter speakers typically have weaker bass response, so bigger diameter gives more bass response. The usual diameter for a guitar speaker, for a generally balanced bass response, is 12 inches. The bass response will be more prominent (I guess "louder" in traditional terms), but the actual overall volume is not necessarily attributed to the speaker diameter. Or at least that is not the highest contributing factor. The "size" of the speaker in terms of wattage rating only tells you how much heat energy from the amp the speaker can deal with, not the speaker's inherit volume capabilities.

The honor of volume does go to amp wattage, although wattage is not everything as well- it is just a very general guide. Speaker sensitivity, frequency response, and cabinet housing have a lot to do with it as well.

Oh, ok. Thanks for explaining that to me. So that leaves me with 30W and 75W as the only options, since they both have 12" speaker.
Quote by Will Lane
Have you looked on the used market for the Tube 60? I would think you could find one in your price range. That is what I came here to suggest.

Yeah, I already looked. The problem is also that the people in my country don't sell stuff cheap even if they have been used. New Tube 60 costs around 450e in my country, even if I see it used, it would probably be somewhere between 350 and 400e, at best. And that is sadly too much, since I have other stuff to buy beside the amp. Although, I will buy the amp in the next month, so I will be on the look-out anyway.
-----------
On the side note, I checked the site right now and there is actually 75W used for 200e. But I can't try it out, since the guy doesn't live nowhere near me.
Last edited by ozarmidrashim87 at Nov 21, 2016,
if only being used for home practice or recording not in a band situation then the 30 is fine. neither option will give you really great sound quality but will be suitable for the task.
Quote by monwobobbo
if only being used for home practice or recording not in a band situation then the 30 is fine. neither option will give you really great sound quality but will be suitable for the task.
+1. And if the 75 is just 30 euros more, might as well get the 75.
Eh, I had the 30 watt head version for a while. It sounded great for what it was, and would undoubtedly work for your situation. But sooner or later, you'll find yourself in a situation where you want to crank that thing, and that's where it will show its limitations. At low volumes, it sounds good. But the louder you turn it up, the more the low-end in your tone struggles to keep up with the mids and highs. That is due simply to a lack of wattage -- it takes more power to reproduce low-end. I'd go with the 75 watt version. It will do an equal job at low volumes, and sound a lot better if you ever need more volume.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The extra power isn't just about extra volume -- it's also about being able to reproduce lower end sounds at higher volumes. Bottom end requires a lot more power than high end, and it can easily become mushy and indistinct with lower power amps. If there's not much difference pricewise, I would personally go with the 75W version.
I agree with these guys. Just as a heads up I have the 30W and it's plenty loud to get you evicted and hearing damage. Watch out for the Post Gain being set very high on the presets as that makes your Volume knob very, very twitchy and from quiet to ears ringing with just a few degrees.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims