http://m.imgur.com/Y6XAisG,4i2rIZG,n5xWxMl,8O5kLjf

As you can see I've taken apart a cheap Washburn 15W SS amp. Well first of all I'm going to socket the LEDs on the OD circuit to see how different LEDs affect the clipping. I'm thinking I might try a green and a red. I might even run one LED and one germanium. If you don't know what I'm talking about don't worry about it, it's not important. It basically changes the distortion a bit. You can mix and match diodes to get different results. Pretty neat way to mod a cheap SS amp.

I've also swapped out the stock 6" speaker with an 8" Celestion.

Here's my main question.

I plan on building two of these and running two amps and two cabs at the same time, which is called tone stacking.

Do you think it will sound good if I EQ one amp for bass and one amp for Treble and run then both at the same time through separate cabs?

Buying and modding these amps with new celestion speakers is cheap as hell, and I know it's still solid state but I'm hoping stacking the tones from the two amps will sound killer, and I'll be able to play at low volume as well.

Anyways, check out the pics. I'll keep updating you guys and I'll eventually make a video showing you my final results. I'm really hoping that running two cheap amps at the same time will sound killer if I EQ one amp for lows and the other for highs. The Celestion speakers make a huge difference and the diode mod does too.

You guys think this will work?
It will "work." I'm not at all sure that you'll get the results you hope for., but have fun.

I've run stereo (and bridged mono) setups using a stereo power amp for years. And I've even done it with two completely different preamps and also with a single preamp that's capable of stereo output. It's not a new concept, and it's not really called "tone stacking" unless some newb has decided to coin a new name for it.

You can also do this with a pair of powered studio monitors (again, I'm using KRK Rokit 8's with an 8" woofer and a 1" tweeter and 100W each of power). A simple and cheap way to do this is to use something like a Pod X3 (which will allow you run two completely different rigs that you can direct hard left and hard right). You can run the L and R outputs from the Pod to each of the monitors separately and do exactly what you're planning. And, of course, you can run separate wet and dry signals, etc. This is all stuff that guitar players have been doing since the late sixties.

When you're looking for more bass or more treble, by the way, you can add speakers and/or power amplifiers and split the incoming signal to head for the proper cabinet. The ISP Technologies Vector SL, for example, is a 30" wide horizontal cabinet designed to sit under a 4x12. It contains a 15" subwoofer, a 600W power amplifier and some fairly sophisticated electronics that will strip the lows from the head's speaker output signal, sending the mids and highs to the 4x12 and retaining the lows for the subwoofer. A lot of amps are reproducing treble, but the speakers in most guitar cabinets won't actually handle it. If you add a piezo tweeter or two (a KSN 1165, for example), those highs can be restored. They don't add icepick treble, but they do give some definition to otherwise muffled harmonics.
Maybe you should ask Mike Soldano for a consultation.
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I think frankensteining two shit amps together is still going to sound like shit.

Just to add, if you want to experiment with modding then practicing on two shitty amps first is absolutely the thing to do, just don't expect it to sound great!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com