Hello, i want to play The best of times solo but i can't get the right tone for it. Any help? I'm using a multi fx unit
Unless you use John Petrucci's exact rig you need to keep your expectations realistic. Cheap mfx pedals are not going to sound like a Mesa Mark V no matter how hard you try to EQ them.

Do some research on what gear he uses and see if there are patches on your mfx unit that somewhat emulate what gear he uses is all I can suggest without more information.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Unless you use John Petrucci's exact rig you need to keep your expectations realistic. Cheap mfx pedals are not going to sound like a Mesa Mark V no matter how hard you try to EQ them.

Do some research on what gear he uses and see if there are patches on your mfx unit that somewhat emulate what gear he uses is all I can suggest without more information.

best advice you're going to get. John's rig is rather expensive and complex. with that in mind you can't really expect to duplicate it but rather get in the ball park. kinda close will likely be as good as it gets
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

So Mark V,that's a good beginning, thanks
What unit? You will never get that exact tone, or even really close to it without some high end gear, but there are ways to get a similar sound.

You'll need a high gain setting, if there's a Mesa model in your unit, I'd try that or something mid-heavy. And crank the mids. John usually uses a simple delay setting (I'd try a 300-500ms delay) and a touch of reverb for his solos. This is just generalizing though.

If you can route a tube screamer style pedal in front of your amp model, I'd do that too, but keep the "drive" off or low.

Cab models can make it break a tone. Try all the cabs you can.
Quote by Ignite
What unit? You will never get that exact tone, or even really close to it without some high end gear, but there are ways to get a similar sound.

You'll need a high gain setting, if there's a Mesa model in your unit, I'd try that or something mid-heavy. And crank the mids. John usually uses a simple delay setting (I'd try a 300-500ms delay) and a touch of reverb for his solos. This is just generalizing though.

If you can route a tube screamer style pedal in front of your amp model, I'd do that too, but keep the "drive" off or low.

Cab models can make it break a tone. Try all the cabs you can.
Digitech RP360
I dont have a MArk V model but i have Mark IIC and IV. I think the IIC is closer to his tone
Quote by frecebutmito
Digitech RP360
I dont have a MArk V model but i have Mark IIC and IV. I think the IIC is closer to his tone

He used the IIC+ on Metropolis pt2 and a IV on Systematic Chaos, so they're all not too different. A Mark sounds like a Mark.

I don't know how well modeled they are on your unit, but I don't imagine it's exact; the Mark series has the tonestack before the preamp, and I've never seen a modeler do this correctly except on an Axe FX.

Maybe try to keep the bass low, and bring it back in with an EQ after the amp. If that fails, you can try to filter out some of the bass (100-200hz) before the amp to tighten it up if a tubescreamer doesn't help. The Mark amps are known for being super tight, and that comes from people keeping the bass knob really low.

Like I said, I doubt that holds true on the RP's amp model but it's worth a shot.
Quote by Ignite
He used the IIC+ on Metropolis pt2 and a IV on Systematic Chaos, so they're all not too different. A Mark sounds like a Mark.

I don't know how well modeled they are on your unit, but I don't imagine it's exact; the Mark series has the tonestack before the preamp, and I've never seen a modeler do this correctly except on an Axe FX.

Maybe try to keep the bass low, and bring it back in with an EQ after the amp. If that fails, you can try to filter out some of the bass (100-200hz) before the amp to tighten it up if a tubescreamer doesn't help. The Mark amps are known for being super tight, and that comes from people keeping the bass knob really low.

Like I said, I doubt that holds true on the RP's amp model but it's worth a shot.
Yeah,compared to a real Mark they sound like shit, but I realized that the mark IIc has less crunch and its closer to BoT solo tone. Thanks for your help. This solo is incredibly fucking difficult