hi guys.
so im looking for something like guitar rig to record for myself, but i'm really looking for something where i can just go guitar->USB->PC.
ive looked at a few programs, but i'd really just like the simple route for this purpose. it's been kind of a nightmare trying to figure out all the stuff you need after you get these programs, so they work.
if anyone could point me in the right direction, thatd be great. thanks
Checking out Peavey ReValver. It's a stand alone program and you can load it into your DAW for recording.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
Checking out Peavey ReValver. It's a stand alone program and you can load it into your DAW for recording.

Looks pretty cool. I was watching the video for it here

https://peavey.com/products/revalver/

and at about 2:24 he plays an old Opeth riff, so that instantly makes me like it more
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
You can download it and use all of it but there will be a tone to mess up any recording until you pay.

Tons of presets. You can buy just the amps, effects, and cans you want a la carte or buy a pack.

ValveKing and a tubescreamer are free forever.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Cakewalk Sonar Artist?

It has a built in amp simulator and not as expensive or as complex as some DAW's seem to be.
I'm not sure how much you know about the topic, but you will need an audio interface. So it'll be guitar > interface > USB port on computer.

So far my favorite VST is Bias. Guitar Rig is really nice, but I find the high gain tones lacking. Amplitube is overall very functional too.

Honesty most amp sims will sound quite similar, and biggest factor in your tone besides how they "feel" will be your cabinet emulation. Some programs come with some decent cabs, some are nasty. Most people load up a separate cab loader and use various cab IR's (impulse responses) they find online. I can't stress enough how important good cab emulation is.

The biggest question is what kind of tones you're after. If you're mainly wanting clean and crunch, Guitar Rig is hard to beat, but Bias is great at it as well as high gain. If you mainly want metal tones, the X50 v2 suite is a no brainer. It's pretty cheap too.

You could go the route of the various free VSTs, but it can get a bit technical if you're not used to working in a DAW. But there are free programs that work nearly as well as the expensive stuff.

Edit:
Somehow I glanced over the "simple" part. There's not really anything more simple than getting an audio interface and one of these programs.

A lot of them have a "desktop" version that you don't need to route through a DAW though. I think the simplest solution would be the Guitar Rig package, it used to include a pedalboard that acted as an interface, but that was years ago and I'm not sure if they still do that anymore.
Last edited by Ignite at Nov 22, 2016,
You really cant get much simpler than Amplitube for example. It works as a standalone app, so there is no need for a DAW, and it has a lot of presets if you dont wanna mess with it. You are still going to need an audio interface tho, you cant really get by without one. So you at least have to be tech savy enough to install drivers and make it operational, and then setup the sound settings in Amplitube/whatever program you choose. After you are done with that, opening the thing up in Reaper or whatever really isnt that big of a deal anymore.
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky
I used to plug my guitar directly in the mic/line in on my computer with a 1/8" converter can't get much simpler than that, but it was a noisy and muddy mess! I didn't even know what an audio interface was as the time.
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care