Hi all!
I'm hoping somebody here will be able l help me.

I am struggling to find a scale that fits a chord progression I want to solo over.
The chords are D5, F5, G5, G#5

The notes in these chords are A, C, C# D, F, G, G#

But as far as I can tell there are no scales that fit this, where do I go from here and what is the logic behind it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jonny
How much time are you spending on that G# chord?

Because my first instinct is to just approach it as D minor and treat the G# as a passing chord, but it kind of depends on how you're using that chord.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Because my first instinct is to just approach it as D minor and treat the G# as a passing chord, but it kind of depends on how you're using that chord.

My thoughts as well, D minor fits the first three chords just fine. G# is a bit tricky in that key since it's a flat 5th, but maybe TS is going for a more tense sound anyway.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
This is basically the Smoke on the Water riff (in D instead of G). I'd treat it as D blues scale for soloing (D F G G# A C), at least if the chords don't last too long. Even if they do (4 or more beats each), D blues scale is good on the first 3.

BTW, the notes in your chords are D F G G# A C D# (not C#). You don't really have to care about the 5ths of the chords (again, if the chords change fairly quickly). But you could take a hint from that D# (Eb) and try D phrygian: D Eb F G A Bb C. The G#(Ab) chord root is still a bluesy #4/b5.