After some time I feel like a have started losing my passion for the electric guitar. No day could pass without playing the guitar AT LEAST for 3 hours.
Suddenly I play 1h per day , less, or may not play at all. However this doesn't mean that I don't like playing the piano or listen to bands I discover every day...
I have been playing for 3 years and don't know how to act.

Should I take a break from lessons / guitar itself ?

Should I ignore the problem and try just to play 3h per day again ?

I really don't know what to do and any advice would be really useful.
Taking a break always helps, sure.

I think you simply need goals and things to work towards. Get a band and start practicing and writing songs for that band. Set a realistic one year goal or something along those lines and make a plan on how to achieve that goal, and stick to that. Guitar playing gets really boring when you just noodle for the sake of noodling; setting and achieving goals is what keeps it rewarding, and stable projects like a band will keep you active.

What do you want to achieve? If guitar is just a hobby to you and you have no intention of becoming a professional, you don't really need to practice three hours a day. Sometimes people simply lose interest in the instrument, and at that point you just need a new hobby
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Take a break. Either stop lessons, or reduce their frequency. if it's now one a week, make it one a fortnight or even one a month. (Don't tell your teacher you're giving up or losing interest, just say you want to work on your own for a while.)

It's good that you play piano too, it's a useful alternative focus. But never make yourself play just because you think you should (worrying that you might lose your touch if you take a break). Only play when you really want to - and then stop when you want to, even if it's after only 5 or 10 minutes. You should enjoy every second when you play - or what's the point? Take several days off if you feel like it - do something totally different. You'll come back refreshed.

You could try broadening your listening - look for music you haven't heard before. (youtube is good for this - for any track you like, scroll down the right hand side for new stuff.) Try transcribing songs - you should be doing this anyway, learning by ear more than tab. (Tab is OK, but always try learning by ear first.) Learning by ear, tabbing (or notating) things for yourself, gives you a great sense of ownership of the music, of really immersing yourself in it.

The other real inspiration is finding others to play with, if you can. Look for jam sessions or open mics in your area.

Start writing songs. Record yourself playing, even just at random, and listen back. Keep the good bits.

I'm not personally in favour of setting long term goals. They can be a source of constant frustration, or even depression, when you think about how much more you have to do to get there. It makes practising feel like work, a chore, and it should never be that. Have short term goals - even as short as the next 5 minutes. Learn a new lick. OK, done that? Find another 5-minute goal - that chord change you've been wondering about in that song, etc. That can keep you going for some time, fully engaged all the way. Or take that long-term goal (if its one you REALLY want) and break it down in small chunks, stages you can accomplish in a day, or an hour or less.

"A 1,000 mile march begins with a single step." Don't think about the 1000 miles, just enjoy the trip. There's no hurry.
Last edited by jongtr at Nov 22, 2016,
If practicing 3 hours a day demotivates you, don't do it.

Also, if you are going to practice for 3 hours a day, you want to have some kind of a plan. You don't want to waste the 3 hours just noodling around. Also, it's quality over quantity. 30 minutes of focused practice is better than just noodling around for hours not focusing on anything, especially if you would not be motivated at all during the 3 hours you just noodle around. An important part of learning something is being motivated to learn it. It takes a lot more time if you are not motivated to learn it.

Is there a reason why you don't feel like practicing that much any more? Is it because you feel like you are already good enough at playing what you want to play? Do you have any "reason" to practice (for example a song that you want to learn or a new technique or something like that)? As Kevätuhri said, joining a band would be a good idea. Being a bedroom guitarist can be boring if that's all that you do. The problem with guitar is that it doesn't really work that well when you are playing alone (at least when compared to piano) - well, that depends on the music style. But yeah, on piano you can play the bassline, the melody and the chords at the same time. It sounds full on its own. You can't really do that on guitar, at least not that easily (yeah, it is possible but it's much easier to do on piano). Guitar is more of a band instrument, whereas on piano you can kind of play all the parts of a band alone which makes it a more interesting instrument to play alone.

Maybe your teacher will be able to help you with your motivation issues?

And yeah, forcing yourself to play 3 hours a day doesn't make much sense if it's just a hobby and you don't want to become a professional musician. If it's just a hobby, it should be about having fun.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 22, 2016,
Join a band. This will give you a reason to keep practicing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
start writing music it will keep things exciting
that's what keeps me playing
and join a band

/btw I only ever lost interest in playing when I was depressed maybe that's what's happening?
Last edited by João1993 at Nov 27, 2016,
If you play lead mostly, try strumming chord progressions or learning a song.

If you play mostly rhythm, trying transcribing melodies to christmas songs or any song you can.

Play arpeggios endlessly until it becomes trance-like and very relaxing.

Tune your guitar to another tuning, maybe Open G or Open D, and try writing a song that way.

Find a chord progression generator (or record your own chord progressions) and then try to solo over the progressions.
Everyone's giving really good advice. Sometimes, though, you just need a break. Play when you feel like it, but don't force it. Spend some time doing something else that interests you. Listen to new music, learn about music theory, or even mess around with another instrument. Don't worry about losing anything you've already learned. It will come back quickly, and perhaps better than before because you will have a different perspective. At least that's my experience.