Big Metallica fan and looking at getting something with dual Humbuckers. What would some of you suggest. Been looking at the ESPN guitars and looking to spend somewhere around $500.
Can you be more specific as to what your preferences are? What body style, what neck profile, what bridge, what pickups, what neck construction etc?

What is your amp?

Where are you located?

Are you willing to buy used?

Did the association of American Football ever build heavy metal electric guitars?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Did the association of American Football ever build heavy metal electric guitars?

Used ESP Eclipse on GC for $529.
It's pretty beat up. I came really close to picking it up.
If you are located in the U.S. thee are plenty of sub $500 used MIJ Jacksons that would fit the bill. Same with any number of Schecter models as well as Ibanez just to name a few.

Go used you will get more guitar for your money.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Here's a steal of a deal on a Reverend Sensei RA:

https://reverb.com/item/3469756-reverend-sensei-ra-2016-satin-red

Have one of these currently in a C tuning. Killer.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by Diatribes
Get an Epi explorer and put a Gibson sticker on the head.

And then the QC wont disappoint you... As much.

alhaq369
Any guitar man. As long as you've got some high output pickups in it. Kirk Hammett used a Fender Strat for a while, John 5 uses modified Telecasters.

Thats not to say that there aren't guitars better suited for Metal. But a good portion of that "Metal" sound you're looking for is going to come from your amp and/or the effects. I could list you off a number of great "metal" guitars and 10 people here could come up with lists of their own with completely different one that would also be well suited. Start with a good high gain amp.
Quote by Xander_X
Any guitar man. As long as you've got some high output pickups in it. Kirk Hammett used a Fender Strat for a while, John 5 uses modified Telecasters.

Thats not to say that there aren't guitars better suited for Metal. But a good portion of that "Metal" sound you're looking for is going to come from your amp and/or the effects. I could list you off a number of great "metal" guitars and 10 people here could come up with lists of their own with completely different one that would also be well suited. Start with a good high gain amp.

Not true, completely.
A guitar with low output pups is not going to achieve a metal sound. Especially singles. This is very noticeable when you A/B them
Diatribes
It depends on the genre of metal you're talking about. Heavy metal existed well before high-output pickups became anything like commonly available- see the founder, Tony Iommi- and many of those pioneers have not switched over.

Here's an example of a Tele...

alhaq369
A/B versus a "metal setup" is quite noticeable, was the point I was making.
Sure, you could get (X) guitar with (X) pups to sound "metally". If you're a hobbyist that would probably be fine, if you were ok with the sound. Go jam alongside another guitarist, with say, an ESP with Duncan Distortion pups, you're not going to sound all that metalish
The possibilities here are endless.

New - Jackson X Series or ESP/LTD 400 Series
Used - Jackson Pro Series or ESP/LTD 1000 Series

The amp is critically important here as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Diatribes

My point is that "metal" is a broad genre, and there are many players who use low to medium output pickups. Granted, they are predominantly in the older subgenres, but that doesn't make them any less metal.

alhaq369
You said you're a big Metallica fan and your budget is $500 so I immediately thought of a used Epiphone Explorer 1984 Reissue. Can get em for around $400-$600 ish. They're pretty straight forward, look good, and have the EMG 81-85 combo. I even found one for sale for you in black.

http://www.musicgoroundcastleton.com/p/569250/used-epiphone-explorer-1984-electric-guitar-black
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Diatribes

My point is that "metal" is a broad genre, and there are many players who use low to medium output pickups. Granted, they are predominantly in the older subgenres, but that doesn't make them any less metal.

I agree completely, and already said "what sounds like metal" is relative
Diatribes

alhaq369
Quote by Diatribes
Not true, completely.
A guitar with low output pups is not going to achieve a metal sound. Especially singles. This is very noticeable when you A/B them

And that's why I said that any guitar WITH HIGH OUTPUT PICKUPS would get too there with the proper amp
Xander_X
My bad for not paying attention.
I agree, and digress