We aren't actually planning MT pool parties but clickbaits gotta clickbait.

So this is probably long overdue already but one point of this whole mod election thing was to breathe new life into the forum and make it better, more fun and more informative, and as you all have noticed I've done absolutely nothing to achieve this. But I have been thinking, and maybe we can discuss some ideas here in this nice cozy thread.

So, just a short list of improvements/changes/new ideas I've got that I think might make the forum a better resource for people looking for help in music theory and whatnot, in no particular order of importance:

1. a music theory resource thread of some sort would be cool. Something that would have a neat list of tried and trustworthy books, YT videos, online courses etc. that the regulars here deem useful and reliable, so that beginners can have an overview of quality study materials. We do get questions like "recommend a good online theory course" quite often so this could help, idk.

Also, a general theory thread of our own could be nice. I know we have the "Music Theory FAQ" thread, but while it's informative I think it could use new formatting and tidying up, it has old, broken links and tbh I don't know if all of the info there is correct, I can admit that I haven't read through the whole thing. I also have this feeling that most people who visit our forum pay no attention to that thread, so maybe we need something that's more fresh and grabs your attention.

We could also gather up all of the useful community threads like JTJ, ZATM and such to a hub thread of some sort, and if there are any volunteers who want to write threads like that, great, please share you expertise.

2. I like the composition chat/critique thread, but the last couple of pages on there are basically Original Recordings 2.0, there are people who just drop links to their YT vids and disappear, and as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't be a platform of free advertising. I'd enjoy a dedicated composition chat thread where people can just share and discuss ideas, but I'm not sure if other regs really care about this.

3. more community interaction is of course desired, but here I need you help. Does anyone care? If we held more composition challenges and other events like that would people be up for it? If you are, do you have any cool ideas as to what we should organize? I'm down for anything from small challenges to a community album, so fire away.

4. There's this thing called "share your knowledge -project" that the higher-ups are planning, and it would involve the users at every subforum writing articles about our particular field of expertise (theory, bandleading and musicianship for MT, for example) that would be published at the "news" section of this website, in order to attract more attention to the forums. It's up to the subs to decide what we write about and how we do it, but we can discuss that in a dedicated thread. Just throwing this here to see what people think.

I'm sure I had more in mind when I started writing but that's a start. Feel free to share your opinions on this and of course your own ideas for possible improvements. I'll update this with more ideas as I get them.

Cheers, Kev.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Dammit I wanted a pool party it's cold as hell here.

I'm on board with all this stuff. God knows I can keep spamming you guys with jazz knowledge in more threads.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Do we have a quick questions thread? We introduced those in the gear forums and I think they work well for short questions that don't need their own thread (or that people are too embarrassed to make a thread about). For things you always wondered but didn't like to ask in a new thread they're pretty handy IMO- y'know, "What key is such-and-such a song in?" and stuff like that.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc

Hey, I've seen those threads and I think it's a nice idea, and well applicable to MT. Maybe I'll edit the OP to include all of these suggestions if we get a lot. But that's a good one.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
^ Thanks

I didn't think of it, I think another forum thought of it first- GB&C maybe? But yeah I've liked the idea since the first time I saw it- it encourages more posting, and lets you ask a question in a less embarrassing way if it's something you think you should already know (which is useful for me ).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Through empirical evidence I have concluded that no one cares and my existence on this site is futile

Srsly though, what we need is feedback on that whole share your knowledge -thingy, but maybe that needs a thread of it's own. Not sure if the other subforums have done anything about it either.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
The composition challenge things are fun - if we can get enough people to participate and the whole thing doesn't fall apart like the twinkle twinkle challenge. What came out of that one was still cool, but didn't a couple of people end up not submitting their part and the end of the composition kinda trailed off or something? I remember other ones turning out nicely though.
^Yeah. Nothing will ever top that first one we did. Woo lordy.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp