Hey, So im helping a friend choose a new head. He has a 212 already so he only needs a head. His reuirements are:
-Valve head
-has to have an fx loop
-has to have 2 channels
-has to have a footswitch
He wants to have a great high gain tones as he primarily plays heavily distorted stuff, but he also plays a lot of cleans.

aaaaaaaaandd........GO!
Jet City.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
^ +1

Just bear in mind it's more of a single channel head with two footswitchable gain and volume settings (the higher gain channel has an extra gain stage)- more like a crunch and high gain channel (with shared EQ) than two genuinely independent channels of clean and high gain. But killer for the money,
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

Just bear in mind it's more of a single channel head with two footswitchable gain and volume settings (the higher gain channel has an extra gain stage)- more like a crunch and high gain channel (with shared EQ) than two genuinely independent channels of clean and high gain. But killer for the money,

Which amp are you talking about? I had a JCA100 and the "clean" channel was always super clean. I personally never had an issue keeping it clean but it was the 100 model. . My biggest complaint was the lack of a lead boost, but that's easily remedied by the inclusion of the FX loop.

I highly recommend JCA products.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Crate Blue Voodoo, the original ones
Jet City Amps
Carvin V3/MTS
Peavey 6505/+ Mini

Don't listen to anyone that says the 6505's clean channel isn't clean enough, they're full of shit and don't know how to EQ. The Carvin's are good out of the box but will need a re-tube if you really want them to sound their best. Same with the Crates but due to age and not sound quality. The JCA's are still pretty good used, but I would re-tube them anyway.

All of these are good quality used amps that you can get readily in most places. Also, look for a Yamaha T50. It's essentially a Bargain Soldano SLO. Bill Leverty of Firehouse used them back in the day and his tones are fucking excellent.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
KatsockHe's probably talking about the JCA22.
Quote by Katsock
Which amp are you talking about? I had a JCA100 and the "clean" channel was always super clean. I personally never had an issue keeping it clean but it was the 100 model. . My biggest complaint was the lack of a lead boost, but that's easily remedied by the inclusion of the FX loop.

I highly recommend JCA products.

huh, i thought the 100 was just the higher-wattage version of the 50 (I have the 50). maybe just the extra headroom?

i mean, i agree with you, i really like the jet city stuff (especially if you're in europe where it's really good value), and i can get a clean which works just fine for me, but i always feel i need to point out that it's more of a crunch channel than a clean channel.

fwiw i've seen the schematic of them and it is what i said. (I think )
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mcmy JCA50 has plenty of clean headroom, but I think it's outside the stated budget. The JCA22 is lower cost.
Another vote for JetCity. I have the JCA50 head, and its awesome. The crunch channel is kinda hard to clean up if you have hi output pickups, but the overdrive channel is great, especially if you use an overdrive pedal in front. They just look ugly as sin. But other than that, i cant recommend them enough.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Looks like Europe so the Peaveys are probably too expensive. How about a used Laney IronHeart or a Randall RD?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Was super busy. Basically i was talking to him and the biggest contender was the Jet city 50 watt as he found on for £280 new! But sadly no shops near us stock any jet city and so he doesn't have a chance to try them. The 2 main concerns are, does the 50 watt sound good at low volumes, and does it take pedals well?
Yes and yes. I had pedals in front and in the fx loop and it works great. And if you want it to play at low level, just turn the volume down. Altough if he is gonna use it for bedroom playing, then i guess it is a bit of an overkill.
Yea, but the 22w and 50w is like the same price, so yanno. It worth it IMO to get the 50w,, seeing as he is in a band and he will probably want to gig at some point in the future.
Quote by 8Len8
Dave_Mcmy JCA50 has plenty of clean headroom, but I think it's outside the stated budget. The JCA22 is lower cost.

the 50 is well under budget.

and while i like the cleans on the 50, it's not exactly a clean channel, as i said. it's a crunch channel.
Quote by oskos2001
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Was super busy. Basically i was talking to him and the biggest contender was the Jet city 50 watt as he found on for £280 new! But sadly no shops near us stock any jet city and so he doesn't have a chance to try them. The 2 main concerns are, does the 50 watt sound good at low volumes, and does it take pedals well?

yeah it sounds good at low volumes (it does depend on exactly what you mean by "low volumes", though- i have pretty sensitive ears so don't like things too loud, but i also don't share any walls with neighbours. I also don't seem to mind low volume tube amp tones as much as a lot of guitarists and don't mind fizz, so...

i use mine for home playing, so i guess it depends on your definition of "overkill"

what type of pedals? it takes boost/overdrive etc. pedals well. its fx loop is kind of in the wrong place (like genuine soldanos, lol), it's before some of the preamp distortion, so it doesn't work as well as some fx loops do. It's also line level so not all pedals will work well in it (here's a list of pedals which are known to work: http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1615 ).

what speakers are in his 2x12? that affects low volume performance (and also how loud it will be) as well.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I he gigs, then he should get the 50w head, just to have some more headroom on the clean channel.

And i actually forgot about the line level on the fx loop... It never gave me problems, but i did also check the link that Dave_Mc posted to see what would work, before i bought the pedals.
yeah some pedals work fine in it- if you're lucky and they're already the pedals you have, or if you have no pedals you can deliberately buy ones you know will work. but it'd be annoying if you already had pedals that didn't work.

fwiw i think the 22 actually has the loop in the right place (probably still line-level, though), but i've heard people say (I haven't tried it myself) that the 50 actually sounds better at bedroom volume than the 22. Go figure.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Yea, it all sounds amazing, and the price is unrreeeal haha. But there arent really any places where i could try one out.
Yeah, well, i know everyone says you should try gear out before you buy it, and obviously that is an excelent suggestion. But if you live in some backwoods european country like i do, the selection of the gear you can actually try out is very limited. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy it. You can still sell it afterwards of you hate it, and thomann also has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. Thats pretty much as safe as you can be.
A Bugera 333XL would almost fit in his budget new in Europe so he might be able to find a used one that should be within his budget. Three channels, FX loop, footswitchable, high gain to pristine clean.
^ haha yeah. i think they've fixed the problems, and i've seen some people on another forum say that the bugeras are actually built not too badly for the price point these days, but I've never tried them. and we do seem to get quite a lot of threads with problems with them (but then a lot of them are probably sold so again )

Quote by gorkyporky
Yeah, well, i know everyone says you should try gear out before you buy it, and obviously that is an excelent suggestion. But if you live in some backwoods european country like i do, the selection of the gear you can actually try out is very limited. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy it. You can still sell it afterwards of you hate it, and thomann also has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. Thats pretty much as safe as you can be.

yeah. you need to watch you aren't listening to people who have awesome guitar shops nearby- if you're in that situation, obviously trying first makes a lot of sense, and it may seem silly to you not to try first. At least if you forget that other people aren't in the same lucky situation you are.

the other thing is, you also need to treat each case on its own merits- it's one thing saying, "try before you buy" if you've tried 5 suitable things, liked them all, but there's one thing you couldn't try. in that case, buying the thing you got to try (and know you liked) makes sense. It's another thing religiously sticking to the "don't buy without trying" if you have very few options, or if the thing you can try is known to be objectively a lot worse.

i mean, don't get me wrong- we can't guarantee he'll like the jet city if he can't try it. but for me personally it was a good enough deal (and well enough regarded) that I took the chance. whether it is for him, he'll have to make his own mind up.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Dave_McWhat is the Jet city like? gain structure and etc, just out of my own curiosity.
it's basically a cheap soldano

80s-style high gain, fairly smooth (but also bright), fairly compressed etc.

that's the high gain heads i'm talking about (the 50 and 100 watt heads, also the 50 watt 1x12 combo and the 22 head and combo as well i think, but i've only tried the 50 watt head so that's just based on what i've read). they have a few other models (the 2x12 50 watt combo is a cheaper lucky 13 combo i think, so a more fendery clean channel but a lower gain OD channel (i think maybe the crunch channel from the high gain heads, but i could be wrong about that).

they also have a few more newer models as well.

EDIT: there are bound to be clips on youtube, that's probably better than listening to my rubbish descriptions
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Yea, il get him to check them out haha, but tbh, for the price i cant beleive it .
yeah they're hard to fault for the money
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Well thanks a lot for all the help everyone. I think it will have to be the Jet City.