My goal is to hook up a guitar to my PC and play via GuitarRig or some other (open to suggestions) amp sim's for fun to play along with music. I don't ever plan on recording. From what I'm reading here, I think all I need is a USB Audio Interface and that's it right? Guitar, to Audio Interface, to PC, through amp sim, out to speakers?
I also won't be doing anything with a mic, so I think the Focusrite Scarlett Solo ($99 on Amazon) looks like it should work and has good reviews.

So is this all I need?
That should be all that you need for your setup but make sure if your looking at the Scarlett Solo that it's the newer second gen and not the first gen. There's a lot mentioned online about the first one having clipping issues especially with active pups. From the sounds of it, they've fixed that with the new version.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by aparis99
My goal is to hook up a guitar to my PC and play via GuitarRig or some other (open to suggestions) amp sim's for fun to play along with music. I don't ever plan on recording. From what I'm reading here, I think all I need is a USB Audio Interface and that's it right? Guitar, to Audio Interface, to PC, through amp sim, out to speakers?
I also won't be doing anything with a mic, so I think the Focusrite Scarlett Solo ($99 on Amazon) looks like it should work and has good reviews.

So is this all I need?
As KillRoy Ver 3.0 said look for V2 of the Solo just to have the bit of newer technology. I use a Mackie Onyx Blackjack. If you run out of headroom on the unit you can buy a direct box with a decibel-reducing pad (or just a separate pad). You also will want some headphones to run through your interface as your computer speakers are not really meant to monitor guitar. Some cheap but solid units are AKG K240 Studio. Also there is likely going to be less latency through your interface than your computer speakers.
OK, Got the Focusrite in, and yes the 2nd generation, and I can get GuitarRig to see the Input and Output levels, but can't get the output to go to my PC speakers. I know it's not ideal, but they are some pretty high-end surround speakers which I was hoping to play along with music. It looks like GuitarRig or the driver will only do the input and output to same device. I hooked up my junk amp with a guitar cable out from the Focusrite and it gives me the output audio from GR, but it sounds like crap (amp I bet).

I installed ASIO4all and messed around a bit and got the GR output through my surround sound setup and it sounds amazing other than the latency.

So, if I can get some 1/4" headphones to plug into the Focusrite, will that give me the ability to listen/play with music in real-time?
The problem is that usually a multi interface setup doesn't work in Windows. You could have aggregate setup in Mac machines.

You could try changing the input plugs on you speakers to rewire for the Focusrite output adapters.
What if I went from the Focusrite output, to a higher end amplifier? Sound quality is full and amazing through the surround sound system but I can't play music at the same time, outputting to the Fender Bullet is horrid. Not sure if monitors or a nice guitar amp would be better to output to?