Is it possible to hold a full-time job and be able to learn to write/produce modern progressive metal music in five years?

Page 1 of 2
At the age of 20, I have the goals of…

.Becoming proficient enough on guitar, bass guitar, musical theory, and a DAW in 3–5 years to form a progressive rap metal project (Something like Eminem, Immortal Technique, Nas, and Tech N9ne meets Chimpspanner, StarSystems, Plini, Sithu Aye, CHON, Polyphia, Animals As Leaders, Born of Osiris, and ERRA to start off with)
.Making a living as a musical artist through direct/indirect means

The problem is my only option for work right now is working full-time at an airport that's about 20 minutes from my house. Having worked 8 hour shifts before, I'll tell you guys that they exhaust me mentally and physically in such a way that I pass out on my bed upon contact. Is it possible to accomplish the goals I've set for myself, and if so, can you give me some advice on how to make it happen?

P.S.
.In the last month, I've learned how to do legato slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs, trills (sort of), bends (sort-of), vibrato (sort of), improvise melodies through trial-and-error, make up chords through trial-and-error, play some barre chords (specifically major 7th chords), guitar chord theory (and music theory to an extent), natural harmonics (sort of), alternate picking (sort of), strumming (sort of), drumming notation (sort of), practiced some wide hand positions on the neck, and a basic idea of how the minor scales sound in the context of music I listen to
.For the most part, I've been utilizing my first, second, and fourth finger for guitar techniques because I've had jersey finger for two years now. However, I can still use my third finger for chords.
.If I'm not mistaken, I have a gap of around 2 hours (on days I work) to study music/learn guitar
.I know there's always the possibility things may/may not work out as planned but I'd rather die than scrap this idea.

I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME ANSWERS ASAP BECAUSE I'M RUNNING LOW ON FOOD AND MY DAD WON'T GIVE ME MONEY FOR GROCERIES ANYMORE (I'VE BEEN UNEMPLOYED FOR THREE MONTHS NOW). NO TROLLS PLEASE!!!
Last edited by matthewramroop at Nov 22, 2016,
I'd focus on stabilizing your life before thinking about a musical career.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by matthewramroop
Having worked 8 hour shifts before, I'll tell you guys that they exhaust me mentally and physically in such a way that I pass out on my bed upon contact [...] can you give me some advice on how to make it happen?

Yah, stop bein a lil bitch ???
chrismendiola Dude you just said exactly what my friend told me. Can you elaborate or are you trolling?
jakesmellspoo I've been working on that by applying for all sorts of part-time jobs, but it seems they look at my resume and throw it in the garbage. Luckily, since I've moved, I've moved closer to the airport, and well my Dad got me as far as orientation because someone he knew, my last job got back to me before they did. I would've been working there already, but because I wasn't as close to the airport at the time, I tried finding a job everywhere else besides there.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
I'd focus on stabilizing your life before thinking about a musical career.

This, but nothing wrong with working on some music on the side
TROUnation I don't have a problem getting the job. As I stated earlier, my dad knows somebody who works at the airport. Where my problem lies is whether it's realistic to accomplish my goals while having a full-time job or not, as I'm a bit skeptical about it due to past experiences.
yeah but you need to sort it out 8 hour shifts are standard if you pass out after them you really need to work on your stamina

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
8 hours is nothing.

If you really have no energy after just 8 hours, then you need to change your diet to something more healthy and exercise.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
8 hours work + 8 hours practice + 8 hours sleep = you don't have to do that shit to be good.
Xiaoxi
.I naturally only eat about two times a day and the most I can eat at a time is 1,000 calories
.I was declared anemic for a few years in high school but they later discovered the contrary and got me off the meds
.I used to exercise on and off until recently due to living on a shoe string budget (exercise=more calories=more food=less $$$ in my wallet???) and living, breathing, and sleeping music (and romance movies...sometimes :-/)
.I eat like a vegeterian most of the time
Last edited by matthewramroop at Nov 22, 2016,
Out of the people I know personally who actually do write and play progressive metal, to an extremely high standard I should add, they don't even pursue it as a viable career choice. These are guys who've been playing since they were like 11 years old, across pretty much all aspects of metal in whatever form it has been known, they're all in their late 20's and even after releasing albums worth of materiel, found that the landscape was too tough to crack.

You've really kind of set your goals to an odd direction, friend.

To add some anecdotal weight to this example, the guy who wrote, recorded and released this amazing work of technical metal instead landed an ironically more stable career as a boom operator, now he works on sets like Fantastic Beasts and Edge of Tomorrow:

https://erauntold.bandcamp.com/releases
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Take the day job if you like to eat regularly and have a roof over your head. Winning the Lotto or getting an NBA starting position is easier and more likely than making a decent living off progressive Metal music right now. No joke. I have a friend/aquaintance "Herman Li" of DragonForce who makes a decent living with music but he is all over the place and typically works 16 hr days. Not a good gig for someone who is wiped out after 8hrs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 22, 2016,
(Something like Eminem, Immortal Technique, Nas, and Tech N9ne meets Chimpspanner, StarSystems, Plini, Sithu Aye, CHON, Polyphia, Animals As Leaders, Born of Osiris, and ERRA to start off with)

:/
Quote by Baby Joel
:/

yah, like

Hacktivist only has a certain kind of appeal, amping up the tech isn't going to make it sound better.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
EpiExplorer Just to clarify, I'm not looking to sound like Hacktivist or any rap metal out right now. I'm looking to make something with a bit more dynamic instrumentally and lyrically that doesn't sound like re-packaged Limp Bizkit, Hacktivist, or RATM. I thought the list would speak for itself.
If I were you, focus on building financial stability through your job first instead of worrying about what you're future musical career will be like. Yes, it is nice to have dreams, but you need the stability now before diving head first into something that you have no experience, time, or aptitude invested in just yet. Take the job while you focus on practicing guitar when you're not at work.

As it comes to practicing guitar, and wanting to do something similiar to bands like Animals as Leaders? That will take longer than 3-5 years to get to that level of comfort and ease while playing. It will take a lot of dedicated practice and time to be able to properly execute what is done in their music and similar artists. Be sure to keep an open mind while learning music, immediately start working on ear training, and keep to a consistent, thorough practice routine.

Playing Tosin Abasi is very similiar to playing (and excelling) in a sport (think Michael Phelps and swimming). You will need to play for at LEAST an hour, preferably 2 hours, a day. You will need to stay clear, focused, and wok on improving every aspect of your technique as you try to make it to that point. If you pick up the guitar and just strum a few open chords as "practice," you'll never get far. I recommend checking out Pebber Brown's YouTube channel about his practice. He was Buckethead's teacher, and just look at how he (Buckethead) plays. Dedication and constant, daily practice is key.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by matthewramroop
EpiExplorer Just to clarify, I'm not looking to sound like Hacktivist or any rap metal out right now. I'm looking to make something with a bit more dynamic instrumentally and lyrically that doesn't sound like re-packaged Limp Bizkit, Hacktivist, or RATM. I thought the list would speak for itself.

It does, in all the wrong ways.

Hacktivist works because they use djent riffs but keep them simple while focusing on only rhythm and texture.

What you've got in mind is none of that, it appears to be wholly formed proggy metalcore or tech death instrumentals but with rap vocals. It's incredibly hard to imagine the two working.

I mean, if you can make it work, then whatever but having a modicum of sense of scale would help you here.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Also, if you are exhausted after working 8 hours days, you're really going to need to re-evaluate your lifestyle habits.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Baby Joel You can enlighten me...or not. Your choice. I live in NYC so anything short of lyricism would have me thrown in with these psuedo-rappers. Besides...I've been writing poetry on and off for 9 years.
He never provided a job description. There are 8 hour jobs out there that will kick anybody's ass.

you can wear yourself out in 10 minutes, look at MMA fighters, of course it's possible to be worn down after 8 hours.
get yr ass on welfare if food is such an issue

also

Quote by chrismendiola
Yah, stop bein a lil bitch ???

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
A friend of mine used to workworkwork for 18 months and save up so he could take 6 months off to dedicate to music. Thats another option. Hopefully you would get a day or two off a week to record anyway and money for food and gear.
lets see if I have this straight. you are still basically a beginner at guitar but expect to be playing some form of progressive metal in 3-5 years? dude uless you are naturally super talented on guitar to begin with 3-5 years will get you to being OK on guitar and not likely as good as you probably wish to be. that in itself is probably unrealistic. just learning to play takes time and to be as good as guys like John Petrucci takes a lot of time and dedication. having said that many musicians had day jobs before they "made it" it's just part of the deal. you want to be a good guitar player and put together a band well that takes some dedication and sacrifice. if you aren't prepared for that then you'll never go anywhere.
Hey. You seem to know and understand your goals. Even more, you seem to understand what you need to do to get there. You need to work hard, for 5 years just like you said.

Someone else already said in this topic, if you are done after 8 hours, you may need to work on health. I'm a pretty unhealthy guy, and I work as a plumber anywhere from 9-12 hours daily, and usually sleep somewhere between 7 and 3 hours.

What could you possibly be doing at an airport all day that had you sleeping when you get home? I don't mean this the wrong way, but are you medicated? Either way, that is your issue as far as I can see. Devote a certain amount of time to your instrument every day between work and bed. double it on weekends, hell, even triple it. People making money from music is the exception to the rule, but having a 9-5 should never stop you from being a good musician unless you let it! Moreover, it leaves 16 hours to practice between shifts!
Quote by SovietStar

What could you possibly be doing at an airport all day that had you sleeping when you get home?

if its baggage handling then Id say its fine to be exhausted after 8 hours
Quote by Vlasco
if its baggage handling then Id say its fine to be exhausted after 8 hours

Day in, day out? Is it okay? I mean, from a human being standpoint, for me, no. Also, he did note mentally. Not sure how baggage handling wears one out mentally.

Quote by matthewramroop
Having worked 8 hour shifts before, I'll tell you guys that they exhaust me mentally and physically in such a way that I pass out on my bed upon contact.

Those words right there lead me to believe person is one or more of (A) New to the work force and yet to adjust to "Real Life" (B) Doing a job they shouldn't be doing due to lack of physical and or mental conditioning, which may be on the way depending on the applicants "sticktooitiveness". (C) Probably not in the right line of work if they want to devote a serious amount of time to music, because it is leaving them without the apparent ability to do so without hindrance or encumbrance in some fashion.

Honestly, and I am going to leave what I wrote because I think its pretty funny, but I just re-read the whole original post, and I can't take this seriously anymore. If this guy is for real, and I sort of seriously doubt that at this point, he doesn't have a hope in hell of becoming a paid musician in his chosen field. Lets face facts here, he said he wanted to make money in progressive rap metal (should have been the first sign, kicking myself now). In terms of "making money" in a chosen field of music, the real heavy hitters are making money in pop and rap, realistically. And even then, they have pretty diverse portfolios being the marketable people they tend to be. People make money playing metal, but less. Way less. What is the last metal band you heard of in the mainstream, and I mean the real mainstream. Was it Metallica? It was probably Metallica. Metal has a smaller chunk of the industries attention and therefore less of its dollars, and the people playing it tend to be less marketable (Read: shower more) so there is even less available that route. Even then, what's the hope? To have a signature line of pickups, amps, guitars? In this day and age merchandise makes the real money, not the music or the passion (Which is fucked, imo), and most seasoned guitar players know that a signature endorsement is rarely what is being used by the endorser so they tend to avoid buying them, leaving me to believe that market is left to punk teenagers who don't know any better and want to look like Dave Mustaine and one of his seven hundred signature guitars from the last ten years (Remember the Axxion? omg) which I wouldn't personally be comfortable milking.

Then again, I could be wrong.
Advice if you're living alone:

What if you do music stuff before going to work? Maybe you have to wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning, but you'll feel fresh when it matters (to you).
this has to be a joke tho

like is this guy actually this unaware
It was my privilege
Page 1 of 2