Brian Wampler (*that* Brian Wampler) was big into DIY pedals before he began to get serious about his pedal business, and he even wrote a book that compiled a lot of the information. The book has been out of print for quite a while, and copies have been going for silly money. So he's got the book available again through Amazon for about $70 (you won't believe what some folks were paying for copies of that thing). It's called

How to Modify Guitar Pedals: A complete how-to package for the electronics newbie on how to modify guitar and bass effects pedals Paperback – July 5, 2007 by Brian Wampler (Author)

https://www.amazon.com/How-Modify-Guitar-Pedals-how/dp/1434801063

So this is a "temporary reissue" -- it's the book in its original form and he notes that it's likely that a lot of the links no longer work, and it's not going to be out all that long. But rather than pay *really* big bucks for it, used and abused, you can pick up a new copy on Amazon again.

He's apparently writing a new version, however, that should be up to date (and with added content) that will replace this one when he gets it done. Thus the "temporary" tag. No guarantees, however, on whether it will have ALL of the information that's in the old one.

That's just FWIW. I'm not associated with him, with Amazon, with Wamper Pedals or any book publisher, distribution, advertising, yada yada. And I definitely (sadly) don't get a cut. This is just a PSA if you're a pedal mod monkey.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll see if the local library can get it, though I've had a history of failure with them recently.
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456
http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/
Some interesting info here about that book:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/90227/oh-come-on-you-guys-brian-has-a

(scroll down to Sporky's posts)

Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 25, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Some interesting info here about that book:

(scroll down to Sporky's posts)

I'd sort of assumed parts of it were compiled. But if the drawings he claims were his weren't copyrighted, they're public domain and don't require crediting or cash . At the time that Brian was selling eBooks (for dirt cheap), he removed the drawings from that ebook at Sporky's request (which is more than was necessary), and I'm pretty sure that his estimate that he'd only "sold" about 7 of them was accurate at the time. It's obviously chapped Sporky's hide sufficiently, however, that he's going to nag at it and capture some attention. But beyond that, it's just jawing.

The whole DIY community was sharing information at the time, but Brian was certainly sharing more than most others. So many people were asking him to build various pedals that he finally decided to do it for money, and the business just grew from that.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 25, 2016,
i dunno, i mean sporky is normally pretty reliable. when all that happened it was kind of before my time (i played guitar, but wasn't as into the ins-and-outs of the DIY thing), but I think I've heard stuff along those lines before...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno, i mean sporky is normally pretty reliable. when all that happened it was kind of before my time (i played guitar, but wasn't as into the ins-and-outs of the DIY thing), but I think I've heard stuff along those lines before...

Probably all be rendered moot shortly. Brian reissued this book as a placeholder, essentially, for the new book he's finishing up, and that one will probably not have anything Sporky can object to.
Yeah I guess.

It seemed to be kicking off in that thread a bit, though. Brian (at least I assume it's Brian) posted in it, if you're interested.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah I guess.

It seemed to be kicking off in that thread a bit, though. Brian (at least I assume it's Brian) posted in it, if you're interested.

Nah. It's unlikely that I'll be building any pedals any time soon anyway .
Haha me neither.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman