Just picked this off the bay.
It's supposed to be an ESP.
Real Floyd (?), G&B pups marked ESP (can barely make out the ESP), Grover tuners that look stock, pots marked Japan.
The electronics look original. Looks like original soldering.
I know ESP made "lawsuit" copies, especially under Edwards.
To me neck looks like a Jackson, but the holes line up with body.
I don't know. I got it for pretty cheap.
Pre thanks!

Last edited by Diatribes at Nov 23, 2016,
old parts guitar perhaps. ESP made parts back in the day as well as manufacturing guitars in Japan for US makers. the Floyd looks real to me.
Yea Floyd looks real, and in good shape. Was a motivator in buying this thang. The body looks like a cheapo Rhoads from output jack location and type, but the GB pups with ESP on the front, and Floyd made me second guess. I could see the Floyd being dropped in, but what about the pups that look stock, along with the MIJ pots.
And the neck looks very Jackson, with the head shape and inlays. But overseas they have no problems replicating well known makes and models.
And I've never seen Grover tuners stock, on a cheapo neck. Although I'm sure it's happened. I believe if it had prior "Jackson" tuners, there would be an outline of them on the back of the head, as they are larger than Grover mini tuners. I also think the screw hole placement is different too. Again I may be wrong.
The thing is somewhat enigmatic to me. Maybe that's the real reason I bought it.
Hope it plays nice!
Last edited by Diatribes at Nov 22, 2016,
Yeah it's an odd one, but it looks like a good buy! Mind if I asked what you payed for it?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Not bad, with the Floyd and tuners alone that's definitely worth it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I don't think it's a Jackson. I can not for the life of me find a Rhoads without a front control cover, that has a 3-way toggle. Except for a couple CS.
And the shape of the headstock looks different from Jackson, as well as the placement of the tuners. Headstock does not look ESP either.
MOST cheapos I've seen also don't have the two bolts behind the neck that hold the string locks either. Again I'm sure there's exceptions.
Maybe it really is some oddball ESP. That would be kinda cool.
Should have it next week, and I'll put it under the microscope.
Last edited by Diatribes at Nov 23, 2016,
I'm waiting for someone to chime in and say something like "that's a (X) guitar worth about $10"
My parades always get rained out.
Looks like a "Franken-V" to me - Possibly a Jackson neck and ESP body. Possibly all ESP. Hard to tell.

Either way, the parts alone are worth more than you paid - so, nice score!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
FlightofIcarus
Yea it's oddball for sure.
I at first thought it was a Jackson neck. It may very well be.
But the points and edges on it seem a bit more rounded, than the sharp angular head I've seen on most jacksons.
And, it looks like it never had a truss rod cover. I can not see any screw holes.
Yet the board and inlays look top quality.
Wonder if you can pull up after trem is intonated.
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
guitarkid8
Interesting question.
It looks like there's not much of an angle, with the strings off and the springs in.
Thankfully, I'm more into pull out, than pull up ?
I can't seem to find a Jackson headstock that lacks binding on the head, with shark inlays.
I'm thinking quite possibly a brand X aftermarket neck, due to lack of screws for a truss rod cover.
I will probably re paint it (painting contractor for 12 years, 25 in the trade) and clear an ESP water decal on the head.

Then flip it on bay as ultra rare ESP V. Nah not really.
Quote by guitarkid8
Wonder if you can pull up after trem is intonated.

For what it's worth, I had an old school Rhoads CS, late 80's. The bridge block hit the cavity wall on pull ups. Kinda get used to it. Granted, not ideal. But there was no way in hell I was gonna route my gold V to alleviate this issue. I may do it with my franken V though, as I'll probably repaint it some funky psychedelic anyways.
Quote by monwobobbo
old parts guitar perhaps. ESP made parts back in the day as well as manufacturing guitars in Japan for US makers. the Floyd looks real to me.

I agree it's most likely a parts guitar.

Originally ESP made high end replacement parts before ever diving into making complete guitars, a large amount of 80's Kramer parts were made by ESP even the necks for the U.S.A. models were imported without frets from ESP.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Diatribes
I can't seem to find a Jackson headstock that lacks binding on the head, with shark inlays.
I'm thinking quite possibly a brand X aftermarket neck, due to lack of screws for a truss rod cover.

Just because it has a Jackson pointy headstock shape doesn't mean it is an actual Jackson neck.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Just because it has a Jackson pointy headstock shape doesn't mean it is an actual Jackson neck.

Oh I agree completely. I just keep seeing the body shape/bevels/output jack and looks Jackson to me, so I started looking at the neck similarly.
The GB pups weren't used in Jacksons, to my knowledge. And they look original. That doesn't mean someone didn't use new MIJ pots with old pups.
And the spring claw may have been new, also. Cus the solder doesn't look like it's been redone.
Hard to tell with the pictures I have. Will be much easier when I actually have the guitar in hand.
Pretty sure it's a Franken V.
That said, I'm ok with that. Brand X neck looks to be quite nice. A lil paint and tweaking, it could be an awesome ride.
Quote by Diatribes
That said, I'm ok with that. Brand X neck looks to be quite nice. A lil paint and tweaking, it could be an awesome ride.

I wouldn't even paint it I'd get it playing good and leave it then you'll have a low investment great player that you won't be too upset if you get a scratch or ding.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
I wouldn't even paint it I'd get it playing good and leave it then you'll have a low investment great player that you won't be too upset if you get a scratch or ding.

I may just do that. Or buff it with compound.
I'm a painter by trade, so painting it is nothing.
And yeah I'm a fan of nice rides that are a little dinged up, for exactly your reason.
My M-II is a beater. And my favorite geet
Quote by Diatribes
And yeah I'm a fan of nice rides that are a little dinged up, for exactly your reason.
My M-II is a beater. And my favorite geet

If your a painter by trade then go for it! I sent you a friend request it seems we both have great taste in music!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Diatribes
I may just do that. Or buff it with compound.
I'm a painter by trade, so painting it is nothing.

TBH I have 14 guitars and all are in great to near mint condition and I try to keep them that way sometimes I wish I had a great playing old beater that I didn't have to worry about!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
TBH I have 14 guitars and all are in great to near mint condition and I try to keep them that way sometimes I wish I had a great playing old beater that I didn't have to worry about!

I try and steer clear of minty rides.
I sold my KH2 cus I was nervous just taking it out of the case. Made a nice dime too.
And probably selling my xiphos for the same reason. I know it's just a matter of time before I derp a ding on it.
I've dinged my M2 a couple times, but it's far from cherry.
Quote by Diatribes
I try and steer clear of minty rides.
I sold my KH2 cus I was nervous just taking it out of the case. Made a nice dime too.
And probably selling my xiphos for the same reason. I know it's just a matter of time before I derp a ding on it.
I've dinged my M2 a couple times, but it's far from cherry.

I can't help it I likes me pretty guitars TBH I only play in my jam room at home and I am hyper aware of my surroundings when my friends ask to play it makes me cringe. Although even when I played in a band I kept my guitars minty and as for my current collection I got all but one of them used for good prices.000

It seems every time I find a good brand name old dinger they are so trashed I won't bother with them. I love my Xiphos can't part with it I have been playing Jackson King Vs since 95 so I am used to being aware of my surroundings to keep them pointy. I also have a Dean Split Tail and B.C. Rich Beast V that keep me on my toes there are pics of all of them on my profile.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Evilnine
Love the Rich geets. I've had USA Mockingbird and USA Eagle.
I would kill to have a neck thru USA Mockingbird (Kerry King!) but, as Kerry says, "they are stupid money".
Also had a Rhoads Custom Shop, for nearly 12 years. I was pretty good about being aware of the points. Fckn ex wife sold it....c*nt.
I'm getting clumsier in my old age though. I know it's a matter of time before the Xiphos gets beat up. Then I beat myself up.
That, and I can not get used to the neck dive. I did purchase a leather strap, as I've heard that helps. I'll try it out when I get home from vacation.
Currently chillin in Bloomington IN with my fam
Quote by Diatribes
Evilnine
Love the Rich geets. I've had USA Mockingbird and USA Eagle.
I would kill to have a neck thru USA Mockingbird (Kerry King!) but, as Kerry says, "they are stupid money".
Also had a Rhoads Custom Shop, for nearly 12 years. I was pretty good about being aware of the points. Fckn ex wife sold it....c*nt.
I'm getting clumsier in my old age though. I know it's a matter of time before the Xiphos gets beat up. Then I beat myself up.
That, and I can not get used to the neck dive. I did purchase a leather strap, as I've heard that helps. I'll try it out when I get home from vacation.
Currently chillin in Bloomington IN with my fam

I really want a US made Eagle. my main humbucker guitar is a Korean made neck thru eagle that is really nice. had a US Mockingbird in early 80s, it's the one guitar that I truly regret letting go of. replacing it would cost a fortune
Quote by Diatribes
Yeah man that Beast is bad ass. I also dig that split tail. Nice stuff bro!

Thanks, I have always been a fan of V shapes and variants of them I wish the Dean didn't have the pinstripe it doesn't come off to well in pics TBH I never cared for the Split Tails at all until I saw this one in person in a pawn shop solid mahogany body/neck with a set neck and the build quality fit/finish are spot on the fretwork and binding is amazing it has an original Floyd I didn't like the pickups much so I placed a hand wound custom shop JB in the bridge position I have a regular production line Duncan JM for the neck position I just have not put it in yet.

The Beast V is awesome It needs some EMG's the factory actives are kinda meh I love the Kahler the only bad thing about the guitar is it weighs 12 1/2 lbs.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by monwobobbo
I really want a US made Eagle. my main humbucker guitar is a Korean made neck thru eagle that is really nice. had a US Mockingbird in early 80s, it's the one guitar that I truly regret letting go of. replacing it would cost a fortune

I have a few regrets myself the main one was selling my Charvel Fusion Custom that was the first "real" guitar that I owned but I had to pay rent being that it was not a U.S. model I was lucky enough to find a near mint replacement for it last year for only $350
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge