Hey all,

Bought an affinity strat that came with EMG pickups in it. I'm taking it apart and want to sell the pickups.

What parts do I sell when I sell the pickups? Can I snip the wire where it connects with the pots, and snip at all other locations that I need to disconnect from?

Thanks!
That's kind of what I was thinking, don't have a soldering iron though... hmmm.
Do you have a hardware store nearby? Perhaps a Harbor Freight? Soldering irons can be had cheap, and there are tutorials to show you how to do it.

Failing that, snipping the connections AS CLOSE TO THE SOLDER JOINT AS POSSIBLE (!) would be the next best thing. You want to leave plenty of line for the next person. Realistically though, why are you selling them? Did you buy the guitar just for that?

The only reason I ask is that second-hand pickups typically don't fetch much
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain

Thanks for the help!

Reason I bought it...

I have a mim tele with no case and a Squier Bullet that has (had) a TERRIBLE neck. So, for $100 I grabbed a nice hard case for my tele, put an affinity neck on my bullet (which I'm trying to get to a playable level cuz I've made it into a really cool looking guitar style wise), and am gonna sell the pickups and the body. Was a steal for my situation.

Also thought about putting the Bullett neck on the affinity and selling that, but the neck is seriously so bad from the bullett, ahah.
Last edited by Yorkeson at Nov 23, 2016,
Aaaah gotcha. Well in that case it makes sense, given your situation I might just save the money for the soldering iron and make some close snips.
What about selling the pickups still installed as a loaded pick guard?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
That's a thought though he drilled have to snip the wires
metalmingee

So just keep it attached to the pickguard? Think that's a better way to sell it? Makes sense to me, just not used to selling this sort of stuff.
Probably wouldn't hurt, might not get you any more money from the sell, but it saves you a bit of hassle I suppose.
It also opens up your market to others that don't want to resoldering to install things.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Good point, if you include the jack then someone can pretty well just draw it in, minus the ground wire.