Hey everyone,

So, over the last 2 years or so of buying pedals and other stuff I've ended up with 4 AC adaptors. I finally got a board, and was wondering, why does nobody just throw on a power strip and use 3-4 adapters and daisy chain 1 or 2 (if you have a small board like me)? Is this something that can work? If I don't have to I'd rather not spend the money and the way my board is the power supply would actually take up a lot of space.

Thanks for any help
Yorkeson

This is exactly what I do. I have a power strip that has 2x OneSpots (only because the second adapter is $5 more than the longer daisy chain cable) and the 18V power supply for the MXR 10-Band. Have a power button for the board on the strip. Works fine.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
@metalmingee

I saw somebody (a few people) saying something like I may fry some of my pedals doing this, or I'll get bad sound?

I think I'm just going to try it out, but I don't wan to damage anything on my board.
If you check the current draw, voltage, and polarity for the pedals, there's really no reason it would damage anything. It's definitely worth a try, it's cheap and often works just fine.

With some pedals, you might get noise daisy chaining. Supplies like the Voodoo isolate all the outputs so your digital delay won't bleed clock noise into your fuzz. With a daisy chain nothing is isolated so sometimes you can get extra noise. It's worth a try, though: a one-spot is way cheaper than a Voodoo supply and if it works you've saved a lot of money. If it's noisy you've just got a $20 backup, which isn't so bad.
Quote by Yorkeson
Hey everyone,

So, over the last 2 years or so of buying pedals and other stuff I've ended up with 4 AC adaptors. I finally got a board, and was wondering, why does nobody just throw on a power strip and use 3-4 adapters and daisy chain 1 or 2 (if you have a small board like me)? Is this something that can work? If I don't have to I'd rather not spend the money and the way my board is the power supply would actually take up a lot of space.

Thanks for any help
I do this, and have relatively little, negligible noise issues. Well, I use a single 1-Spot for all my pedals except a Zoom G3, which I use the factory adapter with- all on a power strip on my board. However, some pedals will not play nicely daisy-chained, in particular digital effects like the Strymon Timeline/Bigsky/Mobius. Also you can end up with really noisy power, and interference between your pedals- I do not have the issue that much but other people do.

The benefits of an Isolated Power Brick are multiple. The outputs are isolated for each pedal so there is no daisy chaining noise really. The ISO Brick can also be mounted underneath many pedalboards saving you room. They also supply really clean, regulated power- no voltage sag or excess.

It all depends on your needs and uses.
Yorkeson

So I have the power strip mounted under my board and all of the cabling is neat and tight.

You can get noise in the line with some pedals - it's more of what you have and try to find the outlier and isolate that one.

Yes you do need to make sure you are using the proper voltage and polarity adapters that plug into the power strip.

I originally wanted to get a power brick of some sort (Voodoo Labs, etc.) but that seems expensive for just power. So I went with the path Roc mentioned - the OneSpot is $20 or so. That worked fine for me until I ran out of plugs on the daisy chain - I'm no where near the mAmp draw.

I wanted to get just the longer Daisy Chain cable but is was about $5 more for the entire kit. So now I have the first OneSpot up front - tuner, boosts, overdrives, noise gate and the second OneSpot in the loop - delays, flanger, chorus, looper, etc. No noticeable noise. My loop is all TC Electronic except for the MXR EQ.

The MXR 10-Band EQ is plugged into its dedicated 18V adapter on the power strip.

I did have some noise on my board that ended up being the patch cables. I swapped them out for some Mogami cables with pancake connectors and it cleared things right up.

At this point I'm about $40-$50 into a power solution have no noise and plenty of room to expand.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Thanks so much for all the help guys! I'm going to go grab a little strip and see how it goes.

Cheers
When daisy chaining make sure you're not exceeding the rated current or you could fry your wall wart. Some manufacturers will provide over-speced adapters, but some will give you as little as they can get away with.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude