So I'm not exactly sure under what forum this should go, but I just recently restrung my strat for the first time (I've never restrung a guitar before) and, by the looks of it, I did it correctly. However, when I try and play higher than the 15th fret on any of the strings, I get a buzzing sound because the string keeps hitting the bridge pickup and I'm not sure exactly why that is. I'm assuming it's because I put the strings on too tight, but I want to know how to fix it so that next time I string it I can play those higher notes.

Can anyone help me out?
~ Le Electric Storm
Tighter strings usually lessen any fret buzz because they don't "flop around" as much. Depends on how hard you dig in though.

If the strings are literally touching your bridge pickup, either your pickup got moved up somehow, or your action got lowered.

Play unplugged and start fretting each note going up the fretboard, really listen when you notice the buzz and makes sure its not coming from the frets, because if it is you might need a truss rod adjustment, especially if you switched gauges.

If you're not getting any actual "fret" buzz, I wouldn't raise the action, but just lower the pickup. That's all I can really think of. If all else fails, the best thing to do is take it to a tech.
Quote by cindelguerrero
So I'm not exactly sure under what forum this should go, but I just recently restrung my strat for the first time (I've never restrung a guitar before) and, by the looks of it, I did it correctly. However, when I try and play higher than the 15th fret on any of the strings, I get a buzzing sound because the string keeps hitting the bridge pickup and I'm not sure exactly why that is. I'm assuming it's because I put the strings on too tight, but I want to know how to fix it so that next time I string it I can play those higher notes.

Can anyone help me out?
I think your bridge re-tensioned and the action changed just enough to cause some buzz. If your bridge is coming up some from the body, you can tighten the springs in the back of the guitar. You can also just lower the bridge pup, but you will loose some output from it. Considering how you did not have this problem before, I would not want to do any indirect fixes- fix the real problem. You can also adjust action altogether, which may need to be done anyway. Knowing how to set up your guitar is a very good thing, but you may want to take it to a tech and have them set it up for you, and learn from them. Maybe $60 USD for a setup.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 23, 2016,