ok, so i have been playing for not very long, but i know one thing for sure: alternate picking sucks

i spent about an hour learning my first metallica song, and after learning the verses etc, i learned about ALTERNATE PICKING.

so i decided to relearn the song again while alternate picking, and i struggled like a fish climbing a tree.

does alternative picking really matter? im extremely comfortable and can play downstrokes consistently.
also can anyone show me some other picking patterns, which i'm sure there are.

thank you
taco
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Techniques
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Alternate picking definitely matters. Metallica may just be one of the few bands where you can play the rhythm without it

Of course that's not even always true, try to play the heavy bits of "One" without it and you'll likely struggle.

If you want to keep playing guitar, you're going to have to work on it. It definitely takes a while, I remember when I first started it took me a long to get comfortable with it, I've been playing for 10 years and I'm still not as fast as I'd like!

As far as other picking patterns, I'm not sure what you mean. There are things like triplets and gallops (which can be heard in lots of types of metal), quadruplets, etc. but they all require alternate picking, which reiterates how important it is. It is, and I hate to sound like a schoolteacher, fundamental.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
FWIW James Hetfield seldom uses alternate picking as he prefers the percussive sound of down picking.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Practice makes perfect.
Your next song to learn should be something like "Black Magic" from Slayer
Quote by Diatribes
"Eye of the Beholder"
Alternate picking

I didn't say he never alternate picks but not vey often. I was only stating what I read/heard James say in interviews.

"It was always a kind of contest – who could down-pick the fastest – and mostly it was a battle between me and Lars, actually. It's a hard thing to do well, because your timing has got to be dead on.

"If you're playing eighth or sixteenth notes then you've got to get cooking. A lot of practice is called for to build up your strength. A lot of wanking too!" -Hetfield

https://www.quora.com/How-good-a-guitarist-is-James-Hetfield
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Dude I haven't used a pick in over 20 years, Hell I don't even know what my fingers are doing 90% of the time. they have a mind of they're own. My brain just says Yea that's cool, just keep doing what your doing and lets see if we cant make the vocal cords do they're job, Dude you've been drinking again! Oh crap this should be interesting.
Last edited by nastytroll at Nov 25, 2016,
Quote by cdgraves
The technique doesn't suck, your technique sucks.

Heh. You're right though.

Quote by fazetaco1337

does alternative picking really matter?

Yes, it's pretty much the most useful picking technique there is. This doesn't mean that you should only alt pick, but if you want to become even a half decent guitarist you do need to know how to do it properly, or no one will really take you seriously.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
ok, i will practice alt picking, but can anyone name any more guitarists who dont alt pick? it was amazing to know james doesnt like to.
Quote by fazetaco1337
ok, i will practice alt picking, but can anyone name any more guitarists who dont alt pick? it was amazing to know james doesnt like to.

There's a massive difference between making a stylistic choice to use a certain technique and simply not knowing how to. Hetfield favours downstrokes for his rhythm parts for the sound he gets from them, but that doesn't mean he couldn't alternate pick them if he wanted to. There are NO guitarists who don't alternate pick, it's a basic, fundamental skill.

It's like learning to drive, but never learning to turn right and using the fact NASCAR drivers never turn right as an excuse. Sure their races are all counterclockwise, but they already had to be bloody good drivers in the first place to get to that level!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There's a massive difference between making a stylistic choice to use a certain technique and simply not knowing how to. Hetfield favours downstrokes for his rhythm parts for the sound he gets from them, but that doesn't mean he couldn't alternate pick them if he wanted to. There are NO guitarists who don't alternate pick, it's a basic, fundamental skill.

It's like learning to drive, but never learning to turn right and using the fact NASCAR drivers never turn right as an excuse. Sure their races are all counterclockwise, but they already had to be bloody good drivers in the first place to get to that level!

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
To answers your question yes/no gypse jazz guitarist can simple out shred or out pick a standard guitarist while maintaining clear sound since the majority are know for deadly downstrokes

But yes it's kinda standard for guitarists to practice and less stress when it becomes natural when string hopping chords or solos
Quote by Fraley1991
To answers your question yes/no gypse jazz guitarist can simple out shred or out pick a standard guitarist while maintaining clear sound since the majority are know for deadly downstrokes

I'd say this is more a quirk of jazz phrasing, favoring legato into the strong beats. Not quite the same as metal downpicking. Also I tend to use upstrokes when I'm doing legato-heavy jazz lines, since I'm picking almost exclusively on the weak beats. But I don't play gypsy.