Hello all great folks at ultimate guitar!

New member here that finally picked up the guitar again (haven't played any since i was 15 which was about 10 years ago).

So I'm looking for a versatile amp that can squeeze out som nice cleans as well as some cool crunchy sounds for classic rock and hard rock.

Think bands like Dire Straits, Accept, Golden Earring, Black Sabbath, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Ozzy Osbourne and Elvis Presley.

I'm looking for an amp in the 500$ category, and have found two suitable ones.

Peavey Valveking II Combo 20W
I like it due to the effects and settings you can adjust and because its an all tube amp. Its an option because a local store has a sale on Valveking stuff where i live.

Vox AV60
Nice presets and a great sound from what i have heard on YouTube and it seems to get more different sounds than the Valveking, some nice effects too.

Currently i don't want to buy a used amp, but if someone can help me decide between these two or some other new amp I'd be grateful!

With best regards
Matthew
Last edited by CigarZombie at Nov 23, 2016,
Out of the two, the VOX AV60 may be able to do all the sounds with their "proper", respective modeling, but the high-gain tones for sounds like from Ozzy/Sabbath may suffer a bit. The Valveking would handle high-gain better, but you only really have two "voicings" with the VK- a Fender Clean and a Marshall Lead. Out of the two, I would choose the VK.

Really, I do suggest going on the used market and finding a version 1 Valveking, which you can find the 50w version for less than $300, leaving you room for a speaker upgrade and a pedal or two.

Also, you accidentally double posted this thread. You can delete the other by clicking on your original post's number counter, in the top-right of your post.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 23, 2016,
Thanks for your input Will, i really appreciate it.

The reasons i don't want to buy a used amp is because I'm really a total newb which makes it hard for me to distinguish the condition of the amp and what to look for when it comes to signs of wear and the likes of that. Also I'd hate to flush out 500 bucks on a used amp just for it to break down on me, new ones at least have warranty and such.

I fixed the double post also, so thanks for notifying me about that too
Last edited by CigarZombie at Nov 23, 2016,
I'd go with the VK myself. you will need an overdrive to really get some of the heavier tones you want and it would help with things like Skynyrd as well. as will mentioned the amp is 2 channel and if you're smart you'll not bother with the boost function (except at very low volumes without an overdrive). the amp won't nail all those tones but will give you ones that will work for those artists. I use a 50 watt VK 1x12 for practice and have had decent luck with it.
just bear in mind (if it's like the bigger one) the valveking boost is solid state. not a problem, you can just turn it off (if you care), but worth pointing out when you said it was "all-tube".
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I actually bought the Vox AV60 today, so it should arrive some day next week. It felt like a more suitable amp for my needs, as i currently prioritized different voicings more than high gain. To perhaps reach some tube-like (or not) high gain i also purchased a gain pedal, simply to test.

I'm gonna start saving some money now to purchase a more premium all-tube amp around summer next year, but i think I'm gonna be quite satisfied with this little hybrid amp until then.

Dave_MC i actually didn't see any info about, that's is why i thought it was an all tube amp. The devil is in the details ey!
^ yeah. i mean, to be fair, turn the boost off and it is all-tube. but yeah i always figure it's worth pointing these things out and then people can make their own mind up.

manufacturers (or retailers) often claim, "most customers don't care." That may well be true, but in that case why are they so annoyed if I tell people then?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?