Quote by Tony Done
The action looks fantastically high to me, that can't be helping.

My thoughts exactly.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Oh thanks.the help is greatly appreciated.so should I lower the action a bit and by how much?
Pull-offs have almost nothing to do with frets or action height, unless there is a dramatic difference between the two frets, but even then good technique should at least let you hear that you are playing a proper pull-off. A few tricks and principles, electric string players tend to be very lazy with their left hand technique, because they can be. The steel strings forgive a lot since they have a lot higher tension, and thus require extreme movements compared to nylons. Bends can be accomplished by just moving a few millimeters, pull-offs and hammer-ons are fired by just lifting or placing a finger.

Firstly, a pull-off is an actual picked note. It's just not picked with your strumming hand, but with your fretting hand. You're quite literally plucking at the string with the finger that was fretting a note before, simply lifting the finger up will not make enough movement to get the string ringing. Secondly, never make a pull-off with your wrist, make it with your finger, it ought not require a movement of the wrist. This slows you down with wide, unnecessary movements, and disorients the fingers because they don't get accustomed to a certain distance from the strings/frets/neck since the angle and position of the hand keeps changing in comparison to the neck.

If you've played nylons, it's likely you'll know what a rest stroke is. Try doing this, with your fretting hand. Instead of a slight twist from your wrist, pull the finger not away from the neck, but adjacently to it, down to the ground, onto the string next to it. As if you're bending the string, but let the string slip out, which will result in a much clearer, cleaner pull-off. This can eventually be narrowed down so that you'll be able to make an easy movement of it, at the same speed you'd normally do it. Set-up can indeed provide its faults. But in this case, technique seems a very clear culprit to me.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Yesterday