Hey guys,

I am looking for some tips on how to play a B chord. I had an injury and couldn't play guitar for over a year and lost a lot of the flexibility and strength in my fingers and slowly have been regaining it.

I used to play a B with the following fingering:
1st on A
2nd on D
3rd on G
4th on B

I am trying to gain this fingering back and slowly I have seen progress but I am looking for the best practices on how to practice this chord and build the flexibility back. Does it come from just holding the chord? Switching between chords? Etc... I realize all of these things potentially could help but what is the best practice for gaining flexibility for chord likes this where you have 3 fingers stacked on 1 fret? I realize I could barre it but feel like my chord changes are smoother with it fretted without a barre.

Just looking for some pointers,

Thanks,
Kevin
theEmbark

I would say you're doing the right things...Specifically, maybe try switching between open chords like D/F#, or G towards B or any chord that let's you go from a wide hand position or a closed hand position. Stretching exercises may also help.
Quote by SombraDLG
theEmbark

I would say you're doing the right things...Specifically, maybe try switching between open chords like D/F#, or G towards B or any chord that let's you go from a wide hand position or a closed hand position. Stretching exercises may also help.

Thanks for the reply! The G to B is a good idea. I've been doing a lot of E to E to B lately. Any stretching exercises you specifically recommend?

Thanks,
Kevin
Quote by theEmbark
Thanks for the reply! The G to B is a good idea. I've been doing a lot of E to E to B lately. Any stretching exercises you specifically recommend?

Thanks,
Kevin

Sure!

He explains physical muscle stretches at 2:52 and left hand chord stretches at 7:07...although if you are recovering from an injury, be cautious how far you take the longer stretches.

I can't really remember the exact source of this particular exercise, but I'll try to explain it as best I can.

For a more "lead" type of stretch for your left hand, place your first finger on the 3rd fret, second finger on the 5th fret, and pinky on the 7th fret. This is the placement for your fingers as you alternate play 3 - 5 - 7, and 7 - 5 - 3 on each string across all of the strings whether you start on the high e or low E.

You can do this going up the neck by half steps every time you reach the opposite end of the neck.

A longer stretch involves starting the first finger on the 3rd fret, the second finger on the 5th fret/ring finger on the 6th fret, and the pinky on the 8th fret. Do the motion similar as before.

Both variations work best slowly, and as I said before just be careful with the stretches.
Last edited by SombraDLG at Nov 24, 2016,
Thanks again for the reply!

I actually had a brain injury and have been reconnecting pathways so stuff like this exercise is great! But I will take it easy! I'm also working with a therapist I'll run it by her!

Thanks again!
Kevin