Hi I just have a few questions about using a Pod500x . I know you can use the amp/cab you have an edit it from the pod but can you completely not use the amp you have and go straight into a computer with speakers? If so do you need any additional software to use it in that way. Another question is, If I do use my cab can I still download tones for my pod and use the cab speaker and just edit the tone on my computer? sorry if the question is confusing I am still watching some vids on the pod but thought I would ask you guys as well. Thanks if you answer. Enjoy the holidays all!!!!
There are several configurations that will work:

POD>Power Amp>Speaker Cab

This can be done with a normal amp head with an effects loop, by plugging the output of the POD into the effects return of the amp head, or you can use a external power amp. For this setup, if you use a guitar cab, you'll want to turn off cab modeling.

POD>Powered Monitor

This more or less combines the power and speaker cabinet into one box. Here you will most likely WANT cab modeling, as most powered monitors are full range, flat response, which doesn't sound so good without cab modeling.

POD>front of amp

This is not a desirable setup unless you have an especially clear and flat response amp (perhaps some Fenders, a JC120...)

POD>headphones
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain Thank you very much! Which of the above routes would I go if I already have a cab I am happy with but would like to simulate many different amp heads for tones. I play lots of different genres that would benefit from that flexibility.
The POD>Power Amp>Cab route

Now for power amps, do you have an amp head with a effects loop?
If you download Line 6 Monkey and download the HD500x drivers (should have come on a disc with the unit), you can actually use your Pod as an audio interface and the sound will come out of your computer speakers. That way your normal computer stuff will also come out of the speakers, but it will all go through the Pod.

But yeah as dementiacaptain said, if you run it through a cab, you'll need to turn the cab emulation off. You'll need to hook it into a separate power amp, or into the FX Return on your existing amp. There are option in the global menu to set this configuration up.
Ignite's advice should be noted. I wasn't certain if the PODHD500X had the interface capability, but it does if you want to use it in that way.

For general playing, I recommend plugging your guitar into the input of the POD, connecting the output of the POD to the effects return of the Peavey, and plugging the output of the Peavey into the cab like you normally would. This will remove the preamp section of the Peavey from the signal chain, meaning that all your "tone" is coming from the POD, the Peavey is just raising the signal up to a level that the speakers can work with.

I have gotten good results in the past playing the POD HD series into a tube power amp and then into a cab. This was actually my favorite configuration for the POD HD500X when I owned it, and the HD400 I had (and also the Eleven Rack I had, point being that it sounds pretty good to run a modeler this way).
dementiacaptain is a tube power amp a separate unit from a normal tube amp, or just the section of a tube amp like pre amp/ power amp. i do see you can just buy a power amp separate. Sorry for so many questions . Thank you for the info so far!!
Ignite's advice should be noted. I wasn't certain if the PODHD500X had the interface capability, but it does if you want to use it in that way.

For general playing, I recommend plugging your guitar into the input of the POD, connecting the output of the POD to the effects return of the Peavey, and plugging the output of the Peavey into the cab like you normally would. This will remove the preamp section of the Peavey from the signal chain, meaning that all your "tone" is coming from the POD, the Peavey is just raising the signal up to a level that the speakers can work with.

I have gotten good results in the past playing the POD HD series into a tube power amp and then into a cab. This was actually my favorite configuration for the POD HD500X when I owned it, and the HD400 I had (and also the Eleven Rack I had, point being that it sounds pretty good to run a modeler this way).
dementiacaptain so even though the peavey is gain central, I could just download a clean tone and use that? think i understand how all this works now you have been a great help!
That's correct (though depending on how loud you have it, the power amp of the Peavey might distort and color the tone). You more or less are getting a blank slate and the POD is acting as your tone-shaping tool.
dementiacaptain hmmm even if ur bypassing the power amp it still can distort the pod tone? either way this seems like the route to go for me instead of trying to piece multiple rigs together.
You aren't "bypassing" the power amp of the Peavey, you're bypassing the PREamp. Now the power amp isn't going to break up unless you are playing it pretty loud, and even then it won't be nearly as distorted as the preamp, it would be more of a light crunch.

This is just how amps in general work, at a certain point the amplified signals peaks exceeds what the amp is capable of producing cleanly, and the peaks get "clipped"

I wouldn't worry too much unless you need a VERY clean VERY loud sound.