I really want to sing hard rock music, but my voice is too clean. If I try to add raspiness to my voice it sounds too forced and I also can't keep it up for long. I'm afraid that its too poppy for rock music. For me, the ideal voice would be one that's similar to Johnny Gioeli from Hardline/ Axel Rudi Pell/ Crush 40. I don't have enough money for vocal lessons so I'm trying to get better at singing on my own. Do you have any tips on how to add grit to my voice?
Quote by Wildspark
If I try to add raspiness to my voice it sounds too forced and I also can't keep it up for long.

That's OK, keep practicing and over some time your voice will sound more natural and you'll be able to keep it longer. (But you should be accurate with losing your voice)
Quote by Wildspark
I don't have enough money for vocal lessons so I'm trying to get better at singing on my own.

Fortunately, Youtube is full of vocal lessons!
Quote by Wildspark
Do you have any tips on how to add grit to my voice?

Practice, practice and practice one more time.
When athletes first try running they can't keep it up for long either. With practice & training they can do marathons.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud