I do not mean screaming like in metal. Bands like expire, minor threat, verse and even title fight. I can get the sound I want but I run out of breath fast and can't hold out a note for very long. Any breathing techniques? Also after a while my throat gets tired. Any tips? Thanks
Just keep at it til you develop scar tissue and more endurance. It might help while you're getting used to it to dial back the intensity. You don't necessarily have to yell to the top of your lungs, especially when mic'd. Always breath from the stomach and not the chest. Drink warm teas(extremely optional, this is punk after all). It's basically just finding a way to yell loudly the way you would in an intense argument or when you're trying to say something to someone really far away from you, just trying to do so in a way that sounds cool to you. It's punk rock. Just go for it and whatever you do is good enough.
Last edited by Million Dead at Jan 7, 2017,
Some people have vocal chords of steel and screaming isn't very taxing on their voice, but us mere mortals need to take care with this kind of technique. Especially if you are a lead vocalist... Many singers have blown out their voice after years of touring with improper technique. Even Adele is notorious for her raspy voice, but has canceled many shows and undergone surgery from singing improperly. You only get one voice, so you need to take care of it if you want a long career, punk rock or not I have trained with many vocal coaches over the years and every one of them deterred me from this sort of sound, but there are certain steps you can take to put less strain on your voice and allow you to sing in that way for longer periods of time. I can't tell from your post if years of touring is something you have in mind; if you're gigging a few times a month for fun then proper technique may not be so important to you.

Either way, I recommend you look into something in the voice called a vocal fry, or zero register. I pasted a link to a youtube video that explains it, and there's a lot of material about it on youtube. It's hard to explain without demonstrating it! But if you practice singing in this register you can gradually build power to get that sound while putting less strain on your voice. It may take time to build up to the power you want, but it will be worth it to have vocal stamina. Just keep working at it every day!

Beyond that, you can look into vocal distortion pedals. The screamer in my band has a TC-Helicon that has all kinds of neat features.

Quote by WinryEmber
Some people have vocal chords of steel and screaming isn't very taxing on their voice, but us mere mortals need to take care with this kind of technique. Especially if you are a lead vocalist... Many singers have blown out their voice after years of touring with improper technique. Even Adele is notorious for her raspy voice, but has canceled many shows and undergone surgery from singing improperly. You only get one voice, so you need to take care of it if you want a long career, punk rock or not I have trained with many vocal coaches over the years and every one of them deterred me from this sort of sound, but there are certain steps you can take to put less strain on your voice and allow you to sing in that way for longer periods of time. I can't tell from your post if years of touring is something you have in mind; if you're gigging a few times a month for fun then proper technique may not be so important to you.

Either way, I recommend you look into something in the voice called a vocal fry, or zero register. I pasted a link to a youtube video that explains it, and there's a lot of material about it on youtube. It's hard to explain without demonstrating it! But if you practice singing in this register you can gradually build power to get that sound while putting less strain on your voice. It may take time to build up to the power you want, but it will be worth it to have vocal stamina. Just keep working at it every day!

Beyond that, you can look into vocal distortion pedals. The screamer in my band has a TC-Helicon that has all kinds of neat features.

Not to spit in the face of good technique or anything like that, but I literally guarantee you that these hardcore guys didn't pay an ounce of attention to that and just went for it.

It's just something you have to go at until it sounds satisfying. Punk yells aren't quantifiable in a way that you can approach from a sort of classically trained perspective.
Last edited by Million Dead at Jan 27, 2017,
Recommended threads