Poll: Does this infringe upon their 1st Amendment Rights?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does this infringe upon their 1st Amendment Rights?
Yes
8 36%
No
11 50%
You shitpost so gud
7 32%
Voters: 22.
http://wane.com/2016/11/21/lawmaker-amish-advocate-express-concern-over-horse-and-buggy-safety/

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – Multiple crashes Sunday night involving horse and buggies have left lawmakers and Amish advocates concerned.

Police say the crashes aren’t related, but they are looking for a driver who left the scene of the fatal crash.

The most serious crash happened on State Road 37 and Notestine Road. Rebecca Graber, 18, and Michelle Graber, 16, were killed and one person was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

A pickup truck was involved in that crash, but the person driving it left the truck behind and took off.

A few minutes later, about a mile east on Notestine, there was another crash involving a horse and buggy. The people involved with that crash only had minor injuries.

Two hours later, a crash on Doty Road involving a horse and buggy left a person in serious condition.

State Representative Bob Morris said he’s focused on passing legislation that will enforce the proper lighting of buggies.

“Legislatively, they’re looking to make sure these horse and buggies have lights on the front and lights on the back and they need to be properly lit, just the same as an automobile a vehicle as we know it today,” he said.

He has a deep sense of sympathy for the families of the victims at the State Road 7 and Notestine Road crash.

“It’s all about laws on the road and the safety of the roads,” he said. “Looking at what we need to do to save future lives because there has been a number of accidents within a few miles. It’s really a tragedy to lose both of these young girls.”

Clifton Partin, a man who has drives Amish people around for a living, said he knew it was a matter of time before something tragic happened to a horse and buggy at State Road 37 and Notestine Road. He has seen many crashes at the intersection. There are people who don’t slow down for the stop sign there.

“People don’t pay attention to their surroundings and the drivers don’t pay attention to what’s going on in front of them,” he explained. “People got to be more cautious.”

Partin’s message for the community is one Morris agrees with.

“Everybody please just pay attention,” Partin said. “Even the horse and buggy drivers, pay attention to your surroundings.”

Morris added that state lawmakers are considering putting street lights and a traffic light at the intersection of State Road 37 and Notestine road.

Basically, there is a proposal to create legislation which would require the Amish in Indiana to have lights on their buggies like a car. Does this infringe upon to live their lives according to their religious beliefs?

Yes it does
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Are those public roads? And do their vehicles use them? Yes, and yes, so they have to adhere to the rules of the road. They are a hazard to themselves and innocent people at night.

It's not even up for debate, you leppos. If their excuse to not adapting to common decency and prudence is because of "muh culture", then they can stay away from our roads. Or assimilate.
stop tryna take their freedoms Lard don't you know America was FOUNDED on the taking of people's freedoms?

they just wanna live their lives without your fancy wizard magic or "electricity"
Just have them use candles and light them up every time they stop.
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
deport them
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Fat Lard
Are those public roads? And do their vehicles use them? Yes, and yes, so they have to adhere to the rules of the road. They are a hazard to themselves and innocent people at night.

But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by zgr0826

Basically, there is a proposal to create legislation which would require the Amish in Indiana to have lights on their buggies like a car. Does this infringe upon to live their lives according to their religious beliefs?

Yes it does

yeah but like

fuck em
Used to live in Pennsylvania near Amish country. We never had any problems with people running into Amish people.

The problem isn't the Amish being hard to spot, the problem is Indiana drivers being shitty drivers. Shitty drivers don't turn less shitty just because of a tail light.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
Quote by Fat Lard
Are those public roads?

Did a libertarian just envoke "muh roads"

whoa
IIRC states have the power to accommodate illegal acts that are a product of religious beliefs but are not required to do so. As long as there's some sort of law that states in more or less terms that all vehicles need to be lit up then they could enforce it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Fat Lard nailed it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Meh most of the Amish have a car tucked away in the barn, we used to go rabbit hunting in southern Indiana often getting permission from the Amish to hunt on their land most had a car in the barn sometimes a tractor. Plus they have reflectors on their buggies sounds like some idiot drivers speeding down country roads at night.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 23, 2016,
I voted before I read the article and I voted incorrectly so take away from yes and add to no.

It's idiotic no matter your religion to not want to be safe when travelling in or on any type of apparatus.
There are lights that can be mounted that have been working just fine on horse/buggy rigs for a hundred years and that fall within the Amish needs. They're not electric, is all.

But lights aren't really the issue. That's just a knee jerk Bob Morris suggestion; a typical politician "we've got to do something" reaction, even if it's completely ineffective. The problem isn't one of lighting; it's really one of inattentive drivers, speeding (not on the part of the horses) and stupidity.
Quote by necrosis1193
The problem isn't the Amish being hard to spot, the problem is Indiana drivers being shitty drivers. Shitty drivers don't turn less shitty just because of a tail light.

>"muh shitty Indiana drivers"

(if anything, that would just make most of the drivers more prespicacious):

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/which-state-has-the-worst-drivers-in-the-us/

Even if that were the case, you can't blame the problem on some "bogeyman" when there are simple things that can be done to assimilate countrymen together. It's a win-win to make them hook up a small trailer with lights and turning signals. With carbon fiber light-weight trailer tech, it should be no problem for horsepower (hmu Xi, "muh cars")
Well you have to be pretty stupid to drive into one. That's what headlights are for.
Quote by Rebel Scum
Well you have to be pretty stupid to drive into one. That's what headlights are for.

Regardless of if one party has headlights or not, it's very difficult to see shit that's either slowly moving or not moving at all in the dark. That's why construction workers and people who operate tow trucks very often have flood/fog lights along with a ton of reflective tape everywhere. The issue isn't necessarily with seeing them by the time you run into them, it's with being able to see them from however many yards away that can prevent an accident.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
IIRC states have the power to accommodate illegal acts that are a product of religious beliefs but are not required to do so. As long as there's some sort of law that states in more or less terms that all vehicles need to be lit up then they could enforce it.

>tfw not able to spiritually experiment with psilocybin or peyote because not a registered Native American Church goer
Sounds like Indiana is full of shitty drivers more so than the Amish are dangerous. They're already required to have giant orange reflectors all over their buggies. Perhaps the shit backwards state of Indiana could revise their open container and hit and run laws before forcing the Amish to rebuke their beliefs.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
I have a fundamental problem with the idea that these people are being dragged, kicking, screaming and against their own will, into our way of life. There has to be another way around this surely?
you did one of those stupid polls where the poll question is different and opposite from the thread title you cunt

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The Amish people don't believe in modern technology like rights.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Fat Lard

Done.

Religious freedoms do not extend to overbearing the rest of us. If you don't want to use technology, stay off roads built, lit, and occupied by that technology.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
Most places that I've encountered Amish Buggies, they've had reflectors and in some cases those little strobe light things that bicyclists use when riding at night. I've lived in both Pennsylvania and Indiana, never had any issues with the Amish on the roads.

The Mennonites are cool enough to carpool in econoline vans for most of their activities. I worked at a truck stop in my teens, the Mennonites and some of the Amish in the area would come in and charge their cell phones since they didn't have electricity in their homes.

I always found them to be interesting people.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Horses and religious people should be banned from roads. This is the only sensible solution.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JustRooster
Sounds like Indiana is full of shitty drivers more so than the Amish are dangerous. They're already required to have giant orange reflectors all over their buggies. Perhaps the shit backwards state of Indiana could revise their open container and hit and run laws before forcing the Amish to rebuke their beliefs.

I'm thankful for you trying to trigger me.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Jackal58
Fat Lard nailed it.
that thing about broken clocks being right sometimes or something.

i think they need to take a closer look at this shit tho.

i mean was it really the buggy's fault in the one where the driver fled the scene? he was likely under the influence so would lights have really made the difference?

not that they'd hurt, but i'm leaning a bit on rooster's side here.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
that thing about broken clocks being right sometimes or something.

I'm more of a broken clock in the way that I am usually always right, but there's a few instances where I'm too ahead of time
You're more like a broken cuck.

Did I use that right? It;s supposed to be some form of insult
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Yeah I think they should. I mean they probably still use Hartree-Fock method to calculate the energy of a quantum many-body system lol. You can't just neglect electron correlation ffs
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You're more like a broken cuck.

Did I use that right? It;s supposed to be some form of insult

I mean I guess a cuck would be broken emotionally in some way?
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.